Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 11:42 AM

2,313 posts, read 2,510,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj21 View Post
Does anyone else have "friends" like this?

They don't contact you all week or check in with you. But as soon as Friday afternoon hits they send you a text stating:

"Hey, what are you doing this tonight?"

What gives?? Seriously? I'm not your weekend "booty call".

I need new friends. Currently accepting applications.
I have friends that do that as well. I dont mind since i work Monday - Friday. But if didnt then it would bother me a little.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2012, 09:37 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,297,160 times
it's not really wise to expect your friends to behave in certain ways just for you...they are who they are.....the fact that they call you at all should be good enough...don't ruin it by becoming too judgemental...... or particular about when they call.....

Old 07-05-2012, 10:48 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,479,048 times
Be thankful they contact you at all! I sometimes don't hear from my friends for weeks. They all have lives and families of their own and it doesn't always occur to them to say hi because they're busy. Yes, sometimes it hurts my feelings but you can't force people to do things your way - chances are they'll stop calling completely.

Of course, if you're getting the definite impression they're only calling because they have nothing better to do or someone else bailed on them, then it may be time to either start doing things on your own or find a new group of friends.

Old 07-05-2012, 10:49 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,588,316 times
You sound like a pain in the a**. Be happy you have any friends at all.

Old 07-05-2012, 11:01 AM

1,922 posts, read 3,989,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
Be thankful they contact you at all! I sometimes don't hear from my friends for weeks. They all have lives and families of their own and it doesn't always occur to them to say hi because they're busy. Yes, sometimes it hurts my feelings but you can't force people to do things your way - chances are they'll stop calling completely.

Of course, if you're getting the definite impression they're only calling because they have nothing better to do or someone else bailed on them, then it may be time to either start doing things on your own or find a new group of friends.
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
it's not really wise to expect your friends to behave in certain ways just for you...they are who they are.....the fact that they call you at all should be good enough...don't ruin it by becoming too judgemental...... or particular about when they call.....
That's true. I've lightened up a bit since I do feel particularly "used". Usually when I want to do something, no one is readily available. But when they're "bored" they send me messages. I've just kept to myself mostly and my family. And I'm enjoying it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
You sound like a pain in the a**. Be happy you have any friends at all.
Idiocracy at it's finest.

Old 07-05-2012, 12:01 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,479,048 times
Quote:
That's true. I've lightened up a bit since I do feel particularly "used". Usually when I want to do something, no one is readily available. But when they're "bored" they send me messages. I've just kept to myself mostly and my family. And I'm enjoying it.
Just imagine how they'll feel when they call and say something like, "Hey, tried to call you last weekend but couldn't get hold of you. Where were you?" and you say, "Oh sorry, I went hot-air ballooning/attended an arts festival/took a kayaking class/learned how to fish/volunteered at the zoo. It was great!"

Old 07-05-2012, 11:48 PM

2,758 posts, read 4,962,603 times
I hear from a handful of people during the week. But I have known people that only reach out to party or hang out on the weekend. I think it is pretty standard to have both types of friends.

Old 07-06-2012, 08:10 AM

371 posts, read 1,212,646 times
I'm the opposite, I actually dislike it when my friends are constantly trying to get in contact with me when they know I'm at work. I'm a teacher. I can't carry my cell phone around or text you back- they know this. I often am not even able to look at my phone for the entire day. Yet I have had friends in the past who will text me something and then send 2-3 "why aren't you answering me" texts. I don't really go out during the week unless it's a special occasion- I don't have time. So I'd be more likely to contact a friend on the weekend when I can actually hang out. I might send a quick text or fb message if I see something that reminds me of them or something I want to tell them, but I wouldn't typically ask people to go out and do something on a week night.

Old 07-07-2012, 01:42 AM

479 posts, read 836,099 times
Some personalities are more spontaneous, others like to plan.

If you don't want and/or like last minute invitations, turn them down.

Old 07-08-2012, 11:53 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,111,249 times
Quote:
Does anyone else have "friends" like this?

They don't contact you all week or check in with you. But as soon as Friday afternoon hits they send you a text stating:

"Hey, what are you doing this tonight?"

What gives?? Seriously? I'm not your weekend "booty call".

I need new friends. Currently accepting applications.
I think you're being oversensitive and I'm a VERY sensitive person, or so I've been told, and also very critical of friends.

That's pretty normal. Not too many people outside of your close friends are going to have too much to chat you up with.

And if you did have a person that called you up three times a week, you'd probably blow them off.

So, I'm not sure what you're getting at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships