Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 08:35 AM

433 posts, read 1,372,037 times

Advertisements

Alright guys, here's the deal. The summer month off is coming to an end (wow, that went by quickly) and I return to school next week for the last 2 months of classes before going on my internship. I want these last 2 months to really count and I wanna be as sociable as possible. I want to go into the class and show people that I've changed. I'm not really sure how to do this though. I think I just need to force it out.

Something I did the week before the vacation was say Yes to (almost) everything in school to students and classes. Ever see the movie Yes Man? That's what inspired me to do so. I just forced myself to say yes. I didn't tell anyone I was doing that, but they noticed I seemed abit more involved. If only I saw the film and started doing it earlier. You guys might find this stupid, that I'm copying something I saw in a movie, but it seems to have worked with being noticed. I'll continue this when I go back this week and see how far it brings me.

Some of you guys might recall the thread I made about how I creeped the other guy with the phone calls and movie incident. Well he's in the same program as me but not in the same class. I hope he's not going to turn the tables on me and tell people what I did, unless he doesn't remember it like some of you guys here suggested. One of the guys in my class is his cousin, so maybe he may have told a family member in the class, who knows? If you were the guy I supposedly creeped out, would you tell anyone?

Any comments, questions, advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2012, 12:50 PM

8,514 posts, read 4,499,069 times
No, I would not tell anyone, that will only creep people out more. Pretend like it never happened and forget about it.

If someone mentions it to you, which is rather unlikely, just say something to the effect that you were sorry about it. Just go about your business. You don't really need to be friends with classmates. Sometimes you don't really have anything in common with them other than the class. Be cordial.

What you really need to focus on in the next few months is doing well in your remaining classes and doing well in your internship which will require you to appropriately interact with others in a work setting.

Most of all, and this goes for all of your other threads, stop worrying about what people think of you!!!! In truth, they probably don't have as much of an opinion of you and your actions as you think. Most people tend to be self absorbed.

Old 07-25-2012, 05:26 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,566,248 times
I agree with Easybreeze. Just relax and be yourself.

Old 07-26-2012, 06:37 AM

Let me add something I forgot to mention. This is the last time I'm going to be in a school setting (as far as I know). I've already been in this school before in another course, and things didn't work out then in terms of making friends due to my low social skills and misunderstandings. Being able to make friends again is part of the reason I came back, to have another chance. Please do not tell me to not worry about it and just focus on my work. I am going to focus on both. I will feel really ashamed and embarrassed if it did not work out again.

I had short experience many years with having a friend and I really liked the feeling of having a friendship. But it didn't last long due to again, a misunderstanding and my low social skills. I really want to have that feeling again, but this time with a much longer lasting friendship. They could help me get out there with after school hangouts, parties, etc. and maybe even get me a girl.

Old 07-26-2012, 10:47 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,122,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlquebec102 View Post
Let me add something I forgot to mention. This is the last time I'm going to be in a school setting (as far as I know). I've already been in this school before in another course, and things didn't work out then in terms of making friends due to my low social skills and misunderstandings. Being able to make friends again is part of the reason I came back, to have another chance. Please do not tell me to not worry about it and just focus on my work. I am going to focus on both. I will feel really ashamed and embarrassed if it did not work out again.

I had short experience many years with having a friend and I really liked the feeling of having a friendship. But it didn't last long due to again, a misunderstanding and my low social skills. I really want to have that feeling again, but this time with a much longer lasting friendship. They could help me get out there with after school hangouts, parties, etc. and maybe even get me a girl.
There's only a short time left in school...a lot of the friends I made in school, in high school and college I lost touch with when school was over. After school everyone will go their own ways, so IMO you missed the boat here for making last lasting friendships. There are a TON of ways to meet people and make friends if you are willing to put yourself out there. Join a meet up group, take classes for fun, join a gym, book club, whatever you're into. Be relaxed. Desperation isn't attractive when dating and it's not attractive when making friends. If you try too hard people will pick up on that and it will turn them off. Seriously...you've made post after post agonizing over making friends...just relax! Do things you enjoy. Take a book to a coffee shop, go to the grocery store and get ingredients to make a new dish, go out to a movie by yourself. I do things alone all the time. When you are relaxed, open, and enjoying yourself people will want to be around you. When you are desperate and overthink every interaction people are going to be turned off.

You can't learn social interaction on the internet. Nothing anyone says here is going to make you friends. Get off the internet and go out and meet some people.

Old 07-26-2012, 04:51 PM

506 posts, read 1,162,473 times
Quote:

What "misunderstanding" specifically caused the end of the friendship?

Old 07-26-2012, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunset2000 View Post
What "misunderstanding" specifically caused the end of the friendship?
Without giving too many details that won't really affect type of response you give to my situation, it had to do with the mentality I had with the low social skills and confidence.

Old 07-26-2012, 08:48 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,913,584 times
Quote:
Without giving too many details that won't really affect type of response you give to my situation, it had to do with the mentality I had with the low social skills and confidence.
Why do you have low confidence?

Old 07-26-2012, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Why do you have low confidence?
Oh jeeze. Can we get back on topic?? That's not the issue anymore, hence the past tense in the sentence if you read it properly.

Old 07-26-2012, 09:00 PM

506 posts, read 1,162,473 times
Quote:
It sounds pretty much to what happend between you and this classmate of yours.

In order to help you, we need to know all these "misunderstanding" and "low social skills" issues of your past.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships