Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 11:18 AM

676 posts, read 1,261,634 times

Advertisements

If you can afford it, I would just get a hotel room & rent a car. Or look into shuttles to/from the airport & hotel Then you don't have to depend upon him. And if that means you can't afford to spend as much on a gift for them, so be it. You have to do what's right and comfortable for you.

And if he requests a favor in the future, you don't have to feel obligated to accommodate him. It's not fair, but in both families and friendships, there are some who mostly take while others mostly give. It's unlikely you will change them, so eventually we just have to learn to put ourselves first and do only what we feel comfortable with for others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2012, 01:03 PM

2,682 posts, read 4,480,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exscapegoat View Post
If you can afford it, I would just get a hotel room & rent a car. Or look into shuttles to/from the airport & hotel Then you don't have to depend upon him. And if that means you can't afford to spend as much on a gift for them, so be it. You have to do what's right and comfortable for you.

And if he requests a favor in the future, you don't have to feel obligated to accommodate him. It's not fair, but in both families and friendships, there are some who mostly take while others mostly give. It's unlikely you will change them, so eventually we just have to learn to put ourselves first and do only what we feel comfortable with for others.
I agree with you, there are some that mostly give and some that mostly take. I guess that is part of what I'm questioning here...I seem to always be the one that gives. I'm starting to think it has to be me. I'm not one to put myself first, but I'm going to try to do that from now on.

And yes, we're getting a car and hotel separate...I don't want to deal with them anymore.

Old 08-01-2012, 03:47 PM

676 posts, read 1,261,634 times
Good for you on getting the hotel and car. I would figure out in advance if you're willing to give other people a lift and if not, come up with a reply. I wouldn't be surprised if after they refused to help you they'll expect you to help them out by ferrying people from the hotel, etc. You could make plans for sightseeing which wouldn't permit it.

Old 08-02-2012, 12:40 AM

146 posts, read 313,868 times
It's not you, it's them. People just don't care about others anymore, whether it's family or a friend. People nowdays have become shallow, envious, greedy and disrespectful. They'll be in your life for as long as it's convinient for them. They lie, cheat and steal with not a guilty thought in mind. However, there are good people outhere and I hope you find them.

Old 08-02-2012, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justnice View Post
It's not you, it's them. People just don't care about others anymore, whether it's family or a friend. People nowdays have become shallow, envious, greedy and disrespectful. They'll be in your life for as long as it's convinient for them. They lie, cheat and steal with not a guilty thought in mind. However, there are good people outhere and I hope you find them.
You think so? I think so too, but I don't want to...if you get what I mean. I hate to think that people have really become this way.

Old 08-02-2012, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exscapegoat View Post
Good for you on getting the hotel and car. I would figure out in advance if you're willing to give other people a lift and if not, come up with a reply. I wouldn't be surprised if after they refused to help you they'll expect you to help them out by ferrying people from the hotel, etc. You could make plans for sightseeing which wouldn't permit it.
You make a good point. I already know what I will do

Old 08-02-2012, 08:04 AM

3,983 posts, read 5,015,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katestar View Post
You make a good point. I already know what I will do
WHAT??? What will you do? I must know!! I thought that was a good idea as well. I know it's not in your nature to be stingy or selfish but hey, you should enjoy this time as much as anyone. So, what are your plans?

Old 08-02-2012, 08:33 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellNic View Post
WHAT??? What will you do? I must know!! I thought that was a good idea as well. I know it's not in your nature to be stingy or selfish but hey, you should enjoy this time as much as anyone. So, what are your plans?
I was wondering the same thing.

Old 08-02-2012, 09:12 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,086,869 times
you know my sister is like this too Op so I have figured out to do things for myself and not ask anybody for a ride anymore to anywhere because they are A.) too busy B.) they just dont answer when I leave a voice mail and that is fine but just remember to be the same way when they call and need something . this is the age of social media and talking on fb and not on the phone or in person .

Old 08-02-2012, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellNic View Post
I know it's not in my nature, but my GF and I are coupling a vacation with the wedding, so at this point the wedding is just something we are going to do in the middle of the vacation. I'm going to tell my brother that I can't because we have other plans and our schedule is tight. I doubt he will ask, but at this point I am going to put our vacation, time with my GF and my stress level first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships