Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 09:00 AM

2,932 posts, read 5,435,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Your point seems to be that you get an adrenaline rush from being a jerk to a kid. If I were your girlfriend, I would think that more than weird.
I'm in agreement...if my boyfriend did something like this, I'd be VERY turned off. You could have just said, "No, sorry." and kept on walking. It's no secret that a lot of people on the streets are mentally ill and have nowhere else to turn. You're lucky you didn't get stabbed or somethin'.

I'm a big fan of the phrase "there but for the grace of God go (you or) I". We have no idea what drove this young man to panhandle on the streets...maybe he's a bum who never worked a day in his life. Conversely, maybe he had a horrible upbringing filled with abuse and didn't have the resources to live as a "normal" person. But the fact that you got an adrenaline rush from being cruel to someone says a LOT about your character...and not in a good way.

Personally, I'd rather get my adrenaline rush from doing something that pulls another human being out of the depths of despair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2012, 09:07 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,059,016 times
If you are going to fantasize about harming every street person as a retribution for your lost relative, then you should probably seek therapy for your transference issues.

Old 08-15-2012, 09:53 AM

676 posts, read 1,264,218 times
I deal with a fair amount of panhandling working in NYC. It's not as bad as it was from the 70s-90s, but it still exists. The thing is I don't know who's scamming and who's really just down on their luck. I don't give to panhandlers, but I don't get nasty/get into it with pandhandlers.

What if it's someone who's really down on their luck? I'd feel bad about making their life even worse. If it's a scammer or violent criminal or someone mentally ill how do you know it's not going to get physical? Even with polite nos or not saying anything, I've had to deal with some aggressive panhandlers. Trying to provoke one isn't a bright idea and people could get hurt, including innocent bystanders.

Once, in a crowded commuter terminal, some guy said something nasty to a homeless guy who replied by spitting at him. The crowd moved back as the two of them started beating each other and as I was moving back, I hit my head on a pillar. Fortunately not hard enough to lose consciouness or anything, but it did hurt for awhile. While the homeless guy was in the wrong for spitting, it wasn't that bright of the guy to start with him in the first place, and I hold him responsible too for creating the situation where I ended up hitting my head.

Old 08-15-2012, 09:56 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,243,855 times
I personally know two people like you dave given the same situations and one of them is my father and I won't go anywhere with him either. He smarted off to someone twice when I was with him and the second time the guy pulled out a gun and it was only him and I in an office in a remote location. I was madder than hell at him for doing it and told him the same exact thing I'm telling you - you not only put yourself in harms way you are making that decision for others. I was in college at the time too. I dated, briefly. when I was young and in high school, a guy who acted like that and it was over real quick. I've been exposed to it for a long, long time now, not just my recent readings. Even then, I knew it was a distaster waiting to happpen and that behavior was not only not a turn on it was a complete turn off. Both of them had issues they really needed to work on that were way below the surface.

Old 08-15-2012, 10:20 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,196,213 times
I'm an adrenaline junky, this does not make me a loose cannon or a Psychopath.

Old 08-15-2012, 10:23 AM

1,192 posts, read 1,814,550 times
I would've just said no anything else is just plain weird.

Old 08-15-2012, 11:14 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,243,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
I'm an adrenaline junky, this does not make me a loose cannon or a Psychopath.
All depends on what you do and we don't know your story.

Are you getting your rise out of the detriment of another person, i.e, kicking sand in someone's face, belittling other people, picking off the weak members of the herd and then after that high wears off, start boasting about it to people, not get a positive response and then still go somewhere else and post about it to get more attention and adreneline rush out of it, no differently than if the story was plastered on page one of the newspaper? I may be misinformed, but I believe dave is out of high school. In the specific situation, we have someone getting off on the same things a high school bully would do and those that torture small animals for kicks. It's a twisted power and control thing that gives him the adrenaline rush.

Old 08-15-2012, 12:29 PM

12,332 posts, read 17,185,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
Does she think it's weird that you got a rush from a fantasy physical altercation? Because I did. I don't get the big deal for you. Saying no to a panhandler is pretty standard stuff for urban dwellers.
Agreed. Nothing more to do then say a simple "I don't have any change" and move on. People can be very unpredictable.

Reminds me of a situation about 2 years ago in Brooklyn where i tried to give homeless man a sandwich from Dunkin donuts. This was a guy that had been out there on the streets for years as well. When i offered him the food he flipped out screaming "NOOOOOOOOOOOOO Get away!!!" and shuffled off. Glad that was the end of it. Saw the same guy the other day again and thought of that.

Old 08-15-2012, 03:32 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,331,505 times
Let me get this straight.

Did somebody actually start a thread to announce to everyone in Cyberworld that a panhandler asked him for money and he refused?

Seriously? Like, this is postworthy for some reason?

And then, people actually responded?

Is there a most pathetic thread contest? 'Cause we've got an entry right here.

Old 08-15-2012, 03:34 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,059,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
Let me get this straight.

Did somebody actually start a thread to announce to everyone in Cyberworld that a panhandler asked him for money and he refused?

Seriously? Like, this is postworthy for some reason?

And then, people actually responded?

Is there a most pathetic thread contest? 'Cause we've got an entry right here.

You missed how he then went on to think about how tough he would have been had the situation turned out differently. And he's very impressed with that fantasy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships