Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 08:11 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,882,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Pearson View Post
I'm sorry! Ya know, this doctor may have molested others, too, who also never talked about it, at least for a long time.
Thanks Brian, and you may be right. When I became a.nurse and saw him in the elevator at the hospital, he tried to touch my stomach. I was very pregnant, I almost heaved..When I found out he died, I said, I hope he rots in h*ll
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2012, 04:54 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,685,498 times
I had a friend who dated an OB/GYN and he got smashing drunk one night, called her in the middle of the night confessing to molesting one of his daughters. Have you ever heard such a bizarre thing? And, he was a prominent doc in the area. I had to really pull it out of her who he was.I told her to get away from that nutjob. She found someone else, but he was an alcoholic, I had heard anyways. SHe was such a nice woman, but picked the wrong guys.

Old 09-27-2012, 10:02 AM

35 posts, read 46,900 times
Prestigious, or high-paying, jobs, tend to have challenging demands and hours. There is a definite trade-off between earning a very good income and having the time to enjoy it. There is a lot of stress in medicine, or any field where you are dealing with life-or-death decisions, and sometimes that stress can carry over and affect the entire family. Doctors are sued constantly for trivial issues, and must have lots of malpractice coverage, with very high premiums. Their overhead is such, that many practices are being 'bought-out' by large hospitals.

That being said, doctors tend to have the means to provide the best education for their children. They can afford books, tutors, and to live in neighborhoods with better schools for the benefit of their children. Also, due to the high levels of education necessary to become a doctor, the conversations around the dinner table tend to take on a more intellectual bent, thus, raising the bar for what is expected of their children. In addition, smart parents often breed smart children. Not exclusively, of course, but as a general rule. The same can be said for children of engineers, scientists, lawyers, accountants, and any other professionals. All of these circumstances are cumulative advantages, and none are guaranteed to produce successful kids, but on average, they tend to do so.

So, there is good and bad in every career decision, and certain careers, should not be glorified as being 'better' than others. What is more important than money is a functional and intact family that is supportive of one-another, and inspires its members to strive to be better.

Old 09-27-2012, 11:05 AM

837 posts, read 1,288,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rls929 View Post
Also, due to the high levels of education necessary to become a doctor, the conversations around the dinner table tend to take on a more intellectual bent, thus, raising the bar for what is expected of their children.
People with jobs like this usually aren't home for dinner and even when they are, they often couldn't care less about conversations. They just want to be left alone.

Old 09-29-2012, 06:26 PM

265 posts, read 535,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virijat View Post
People with jobs like this usually aren't home for dinner and even when they are, they often couldn't care less about conversations. They just want to be left alone.
After having spent many dinners with these types of families, I have to agree. They do indeed seem to want to be left to their own devices and often feels like they are not there, emotionally and psychologically atleast.

Old 09-29-2012, 06:43 PM

837 posts, read 1,288,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepwater88 View Post
After having spent many dinners with these types of families, I have to agree. They do indeed seem to want to be left to their own devices and often feels like they are not there, emotionally and psychologically atleast.
They usually deal with their kids by showing them the credit card. I know it because I've been there and done that.

Old 09-30-2012, 01:40 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,169,113 times
My son has a friend who's father is a doctor. I had no idea because the father never mentioned his job to me. I knew he worked at the hospital but never inquired about what he did for a living. He also didnt introduce himself as Dr. so and so. He gave me his first name. He is a nice guy and very down to earth. They live in a modest home but his vice seems to cars and clothes. He drives a camaro and has 2 others parked in the garage. He is also dressed very nicely. His wife is not friendly at all and seems to play the whole "I'm a doctor's wife" role. She will drop hints every now and then about a dinner party they have to attend because her husband is a doctor. She is a teacher for special needs and complete opposite of her husband. She is very frumpy looking. Every time I have been in their house, it was a complete wreck. Never clean and just stuff all over. Looks like a tornado hit the place.

The only thing I have noticed (and I think this falls into parenting style verses him being a doctor), is that he tries to be more of a friend to his son than a parent. Could be the guilt of working long hours. Education is huge and the father pushes that but the maturity level of the boy is very low. Being book smart only gets you so far. The kid is a risk taker in a bad way. I can totally foresee this kid getting involved in binge drinking or drug experimenting. He is already seeking out the wrong crowd. My son and this kid are growing apart. Apparently the kid has taken to stealing now. Academics come easy for this kid but he is rewarded with very expensive material items. He has gone through 3 or 4 iPhones. He loses them, breaks them and has zero sense on money matters. It comes easy and frequently. He also lacks respect for other people's stuff because again, he doesnt understand that people work hard for what they have.

Old 09-30-2012, 07:07 AM

2,449 posts, read 2,882,569 times
I see that very thing im my sisters kids whose husband is a doctor. Given everything and more and now those kids are a complete nightmare. Son went to college in Philadelphia but never graduated. Before that was.kicked out of military. Nearly beat some guy to death. The daughter goes to MS and drinks herself silly all the tiime........'

Old 09-30-2012, 10:06 PM

265 posts, read 535,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
My son has a friend who's father is a doctor. I had no idea because the father never mentioned his job to me. I knew he worked at the hospital but never inquired about what he did for a living. He also didnt introduce himself as Dr. so and so. He gave me his first name. He is a nice guy and very down to earth. They live in a modest home but his vice seems to cars and clothes. He drives a camaro and has 2 others parked in the garage. He is also dressed very nicely. His wife is not friendly at all and seems to play the whole "I'm a doctor's wife" role. She will drop hints every now and then about a dinner party they have to attend because her husband is a doctor. She is a teacher for special needs and complete opposite of her husband. She is very frumpy looking. Every time I have been in their house, it was a complete wreck. Never clean and just stuff all over. Looks like a tornado hit the place.

The only thing I have noticed (and I think this falls into parenting style verses him being a doctor), is that he tries to be more of a friend to his son than a parent. Could be the guilt of working long hours. Education is huge and the father pushes that but the maturity level of the boy is very low. Being book smart only gets you so far. The kid is a risk taker in a bad way. I can totally foresee this kid getting involved in binge drinking or drug experimenting. He is already seeking out the wrong crowd. My son and this kid are growing apart. Apparently the kid has taken to stealing now. Academics come easy for this kid but he is rewarded with very expensive material items. He has gone through 3 or 4 iPhones. He loses them, breaks them and has zero sense on money matters. It comes easy and frequently. He also lacks respect for other people's stuff because again, he doesnt understand that people work hard for what they have.
fallingwater-your son's friend's dad sounds like a nice guy. sadly the traits you described about his son ring the same tune as a good friend of mine only we are older. I think you hit the nail on the head about compensating for guilt of working long hours by dolling out expensive material possessions. My friends mother (a psychiatrist) acts in a similar manner and always noticed that she seems to be more like a friend than a parent!

Old 09-30-2012, 10:20 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,411,329 times
My best friend's father is a doctor. She had every advantage, but her father is a narcissist, and she has low self-esteem because she was never put first by him. He's very "nice" outwardly, but VERY self-absorbed. My father is a narcissist as well, but I have fewer issues because, well, he's not nice. Nobody tells me what a wonderful person he is (after all, he doesn't save lives for a living and views arguing as recreation). He's actually a pretty good dad, very attentive and supportive - just wrapped up his own stuff most of the time. But I know my dad's a jerk and always have (though I love him dearly anyway). My friend took a long time to realize this about her father, I think.

I love my friend to death, but I would NEVER want to be in her shoes. She's expected to cater to her father's whims, and the guilt trips he puts on her when she digs her heels in really do a number on her. He's really just like a spoiled child. And she bends over backwards for him because she doesn't have the energy to maintain solid boundaries.

Not saying all doctors are like this, but my front-seat view of her situation has not left me wishing my daddy had a medical degree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships