Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 08:02 PM

3,135 posts, read 11,927,200 times

Advertisements

The doctors I know are divorced or married to other doctors (never see each other, so marriage works). They are in debt just like most of us, but about 4x more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2012, 01:29 AM

16,489 posts, read 24,531,254 times
Doctors are one of those professions where they make a lot of money, some of them, like plastic surgeons make a TON of money. Of course their kids are going to reap the benefits of this.

Old 09-22-2012, 08:00 AM

652 posts, read 1,055,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
Being married to a doctor would be a lot like being single. Doctors tend to work crazy hours, especially surgeons and the like that pull in the most bucks.
Ditto this.

OP, is this an extension of the "coddled" thread?

Old 09-22-2012, 08:04 AM

837 posts, read 1,289,808 times
It's terrible. The size of their ego doesn't leave room for anyone else.

Old 09-22-2012, 08:09 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,217,056 times
My mother is a doctor. She came from a working class family and certainly wasn't handed anything on a silver platter. She worked for what she got, and she became a doctor to help people not the money. She doesn't make all that much, but get by pretty comfortably.

Aside from having her give me free check ups and stuff, and even writing a few doctors notes when I was sick in school, it's not that different.

Old 09-22-2012, 11:54 AM

4,253 posts, read 9,473,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i think the size of my home growing up hurt my parents relationship, so it was a bad thing (not that it was the thing that killed the relationship).
The size of the house was too large? (due to a parent being a Dr?)
Or the size was too small due to no parent being a Dr?

In any case, how did the size kill the relationship?

Old 09-22-2012, 03:55 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,849,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerMunkee View Post
The doctors I know are divorced or married to other doctors (never see each other, so marriage works). They are in debt just like most of us, but about 4x more.
our attorney has that situation with his wife. they are both lawyers and work ridiculous hours. they must see each other very little. not many people would be able to put up with that and be happy.

Old 09-22-2012, 03:57 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,849,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuala View Post
The size of the house was too large? (due to a parent being a Dr?)
Or the size was too small due to no parent being a Dr?

In any case, how did the size kill the relationship?
the house was very large. they had a 2 floor bedroom where my dad would use the first floor as an office and watch tv. he spent a lot of time in there. with such a large house, its just very easy to avoid each other. but i dont think it killed the relationship (it have have helped it last longer) but it wasnt good for the relationship.

it worked out well when i moved in with my wife for about a year. its really easy to not get in each other's way in such a big place.

Old 09-22-2012, 04:13 PM

102,312 posts, read 108,488,976 times
I know a doctor who is retirement age, but says he can't afford to retire. He says a lot of doctors don't make the kind of money people think they do. His wife staffs his office, along with one paid staff member, so his overhead is fairly low. According to what I've read, how much you make as a doctor depends a lot on the specialty you choose. Same for lawyers. Some specialties make good money. Public defenders don't. Half the game, as people have pointed out, is being good with your money.

Old 09-22-2012, 06:12 PM

1,820 posts, read 4,501,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I know a doctor who is retirement age, but says he can't afford to retire. He says a lot of doctors don't make the kind of money people think they do. His wife staffs his office, along with one paid staff member, so his overhead is fairly low. According to what I've read, how much you make as a doctor depends a lot on the specialty you choose. Same for lawyers. Some specialties make good money. Public defenders don't. Half the game, as people have pointed out, is being good with your money.
^^^^ yes... We have several friends who are dr's, each a different specialty . We don't know know how much their salaries ate specifically, but we know that they aren't much better off than my husband & I.
Doctors have so many fees they pay out of pocket, depending on if they are affiliated with a hospital, a private practice,etc....
With the exception of one of our friends' who is a trauma surgeon ( and yes, very well off- bu NEVER home), the others live fairly normal lives like us....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships