Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2012, 12:19 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,228,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe'sTavern View Post
Some people just don't pray over their food. Not really a big deal.
At Thanksgiving, who are we thanking if not God? Are we just thanking Abraham Lincoln for a day off of work and a chance to stuff our face?

Old 11-23-2012, 12:21 PM

1,105 posts, read 1,790,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Wow, you sound so devout...
I'm not. But that's my point. Why so much hate. Is there a way to disagree without a stoning. I'm a christian but there are a lot of people who are either black and white (no gray areas) as I'm learning. I always considered myself tolerant of others, so I try to be open-minded. Even if I was wrong, I accept that. I find it interesting that people commenting here are ready to put me in front of a firing squad. Thank god (oops my bad), fortunately, I'm on the Internet. I guess I'm officially considered conservative. I had no idea.

Old 11-23-2012, 12:21 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,228,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art2ro View Post
In my own mind, I just give thanks to those farm animals that gave up their lives to feed me! Wish there was a better way to create synthetic food that has the texture and tastes just as good as a steak, pork, chicken or fish, except to be a vegetarian!
Each to their own about praying before a meal!
I suppose you'll give a prayer of thanks to the chemists that contrive that synthetic food?

Old 11-23-2012, 12:25 PM

3,360 posts, read 8,400,089 times
Quote:
Since you were a guest you were way out of line for suggesting it. If I was there I would have rolled my eyes too. What amazes me is that you don't appear to be the least bit embarrassed about what you did.
Exactly. There's nothing wrong with prayer within the confines of ones own family, but suggesting prayer at someone else's house is simply rude and offensive. Religious people often assume (wrongly) that everyone else shares their views.

They do not.

Old 11-23-2012, 12:50 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,733,180 times
I believe it was the hosts' call on whether or not to say grace, but once you suggested it they should have graciously accepted your suggestion. This thread is really more about courtesy than religious beliefs. All parties seem to have behaved in a less than courteous fashion at this dinner.

Old 11-23-2012, 12:59 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,189,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
At Thanksgiving, who are we thanking if not God? Are we just thanking Abraham Lincoln for a day off of work and a chance to stuff our face?
Most often than not we're thanking Nature's God.

Old 11-23-2012, 01:08 PM

26,701 posts, read 41,805,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
I believe it was the hosts' call on whether or not to say grace, but once you suggested it they should have graciously accepted your suggestion. This thread is really more about courtesy than religious beliefs. All parties seem to have behaved in a less than courteous fashion at this dinner.
What?

Just because someone asks to pray for the food, does NOT mean they have to accept. It is the hosts house and if they do not believe, they should have the right to decline gracefully.

Old 11-23-2012, 01:19 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,564,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXIALE02 View Post
I'm not. But that's my point. Why so much hate. Is there a way to disagree without a stoning. I'm a christian but there are a lot of people who are either black and white (no gray areas) as I'm learning. I always considered myself tolerant of others, so I try to be open-minded. Even if I was wrong, I accept that. I find it interesting that people commenting here are ready to put me in front of a firing squad. Thank god (oops my bad), fortunately, I'm on the Internet. I guess I'm officially considered conservative. I had no idea.
How do you get that you are OFFICIALLY considered a conservative? Because the hosts were not wearing magic underwear?

LOL@ the firing squad. Now you are trying to play the victim. Just get over it. You wanted to make a public display of praying and the host family did not. Simple. Just let it go. Or you should have just said a quick and simple prayer in your mind.

Old 11-23-2012, 01:20 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,430,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
I am thankful for the farmers who grew and raised our food.
I am thankful for the workers who pick that grown food.
I am thankful for the drivers who bring the food to the processing plants.
I am thankful for the workers in the factories and in the processing plants who do their jobs.
I am thankful for the delivery companies and truckers who get the finished food product to my local grocery store.
I am thankful to my host and hostess for providing a meal in their home.
I am thankful they can afford it.
I am thankful to share a day/meal with friends and family.
I am thankful every day just because we should be grateful for the things in our life more than one day out of the year.

Old 11-23-2012, 01:24 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,333,155 times
We respect the hosts actions, if they want to say Grace we participate with them if they don't we silently say Grace and enjoy our meal with our hosts and no one is offended either way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships