Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 06:37 PM

2,240 posts, read 5,866,076 times

Advertisements

So, my sister is in her late 30's with no marriage prospects in sight (no boyfriend at all right now). She's actually living in my parents' basement, but it's not a money issue (she has a good job). I think that it's really more for my parents' benefit than hers, but that's another long story.

She was getting antsy and decided to try one round of IVF (that's all she had the money for), and it worked. She's 10 weeks pregnant. She chose the sperm donor from a profile.

My problem: I don't have an objection to single women having kids in general. I am, however, concerned about the long-term outlook. I'm thinking about what it would be like for a child to grow up without knowing anything about his/her father or the whole paternal side of the family. My parents won't be around forever (they're in their early 70's), and I am worried about how this will all work down the road. I'm just...worried. I want to be happy for her, but I'm having trouble b/c I'm very apprehensive about this for her. I know she wants to get married, but I also know that there are many men who don't want to parent someone else's child. I'm probably overanalyzing.

My Mom is always getting on me for "raining on her parade" with my hesitation and doubts. Of course, the last time I didn't join in on the celebration was when she met her ex-fiance who wound up being a prescription pain med addict. So, for that one anyway, my instincts were right.

Someone talk me down!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2012, 06:43 PM

737 posts, read 1,150,522 times
This situation is different. Men would think she wanted to be a mother. Its not the same as having the father/ex husband/ baby daddy around. She showed she is not a fool by going IVF and not just sleeping with anyone she could find until she got pregnant. I agree with what she did considering her age and income. A younger woman doing the same with no money would be in the fool category.

I wonder about the good job but could only afford 1 round of IVF.

Old 12-01-2012, 06:46 PM

2,240 posts, read 5,866,076 times
She's in administration at a private school. Not a six figure income, but plenty for a single person without a mortgage. IVF runs about $25-$30 K, I think. That's a pretty big chunk of change for a single person.

Old 12-01-2012, 07:16 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,552,006 times
I understand your concern for your sister.

But I've gotten to a point in my life that Life is too short. If this is what she's desired to do...and well, she's already done it the best thing you can do is to be there for her.
It's kinda too late to close the barn door.

If she's ready, willing and able to be a Mom, she should have this opportunity. Love your sister and love your niece/nephew!

That's all that really matters.

Old 12-02-2012, 12:06 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,077,988 times
It wouldn't have been the choice I would have made, but it was HER choice and it's her life. She sounds like a responsible person and that she will be able to raise a child on her own,. I wouldn't worry about it - I'd just love her and love the new addition to the family!

Old 12-02-2012, 12:15 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,400,864 times
It really does not matter...the bun is already in the oven. And even if your sister had been married, there is no guarantee the Father would have stayed around anyway, or even acknowledged the child. So, at least the child does not have to deal with rejection. Believe me, there are lots of "sperm donor" Dads out there that bail on their kids...

Support your sister and her decision.

Old 12-02-2012, 12:24 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,313,415 times
It is her life and her choice to have a child this way and your life and your choice to continue to worry about something that you cannot control.

Old 12-02-2012, 12:40 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,217,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMMom View Post
My problem: I don't have an objection to single women having kids in general. I am, however, concerned about the long-term outlook. I'm thinking about what it would be like for a child to grow up without knowing anything about his/her father or the whole paternal side of the family. My parents won't be around forever (they're in their early 70's), and I am worried about how this will all work down the road. I'm just...worried. I want to be happy for her, but I'm having trouble b/c I'm very apprehensive about this for her. I know she wants to get married, but I also know that there are many men who don't want to parent someone else's child. I'm probably overanalyzing.

My Mom is always getting on me for "raining on her parade" with my hesitation and doubts. Of course, the last time I didn't join in on the celebration was when she met her ex-fiance who wound up being a prescription pain med addict. So, for that one anyway, my instincts were right.

Someone talk me down!

Conception the natural way is no guarantee that a kid will know anything about his or her father's side of the family. Or even the mother's. Adoption records are usually sealed.

When you get right down to it, it's your sister's life, and she calls the shots. It's really not your place to have a "problem" with what she decides to do for herself and her child, including how she conceives said child and how she raises the wee lad or lass.

And besides, there is nothing you can do about it. She's pregnant. She's having a child. It's a done deal. What, exactly, do you think being "concerned" is going to accomplish now? You're certainly not going to talk her into an abortion or giving the kid up for adoption. So what will expressing your "concerns" at this stage achieve, except to alienate your sister?

If I were you, I'd keep my mouth shut and instead look forward to being an aunt.

Old 12-02-2012, 12:41 AM

12,477 posts, read 17,811,579 times
oh chill and get excited! Do you realize how many deadbeat dads(sperm donors) are out there?? Too many. She will answer the questions the child may ask,same as she would if a deadbeat dad were involved.
Your sis is in her late 30's,not a teen-which would be a whole other set of issues. She is well old enough to make her own decisions. And she did.

Old 12-02-2012, 04:38 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,235,780 times
Worry about your sister (or anything) once there is a problem.
Most of what people 'worry' about never happens.
That takes an awful lot of joy out of life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships