Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2012, 06:11 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,289,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Leaf View Post
It's then I realized she completely forgot who I was. How is that even possible?!

Do some people have the memory of a goldfish or is it the really don't give a crap about you at all and that's why they don't remember?
Well I wouldn't say "they don't give a crap about you", just that you're one of many, and don't stand out to them...that's all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2012, 03:50 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,982,916 times
Quote:
Sorry if this has been posted already, I did a couple of quick searches and didn't see any threads on this so here it goes.

Does anyone else here find it a tad annoying after you meet someone, talk to them for a bit, maybe spend a few hours with them and then you run into them say, six months later and they completely forget ever meeting you.

You see them and say "hey how are you doing" and they give that blank stare like, huh? And then you realize they don't even remember who you are. And even worse after trying to remind them they still can't recall.

What's with some people, I mean I personally am not good at remembering names but at least I can recall meeting someone regardless if the experience was good, bad or indifferent.

An example of this is when I used to frequent a small dive bar and I was one of a small group of regulars there. I had been going every weekend for the past 3 years. The bartender knew my name would always say hello and such and we would occasionally chit chat about things.

I went in after a few months of not going and said hello to the bartender, and what do I get in response, a blank stare, followed with, " what can I get for you"? It's then I realized she completely forgot who I was. How is that even possible?!

Do some people have the memory of a goldfish or is it the really don't give a crap about you at all and that's why they don't remember?
Hahaha. Apparently we know each other, but I don't remember. LOL

But seriously, some of us have GREAT short term memory, but zero long term. I joke with my boss that my brain/hard drive gets wiped clean over the weekend. I have to leave myself notes for Monday morning, or I completely forget what I have to do when I get to work. But...within a few days time, I can remember EVERYTHING that I need to accomplish, or have done.

Just the way my brain works. It does come in handy though. I can reread a book, and it's like I've never read it before. Same with movies. I kind of remember them, but not really. Don't take offense. It's kind of like some people can hear a movie once, and recite every line in it. Just the way our brain's work.

Old 12-26-2012, 04:30 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,102,386 times
Quote:
Sorry if this has been posted already, I did a couple of quick searches and didn't see any threads on this so here it goes.

Does anyone else here find it a tad annoying after you meet someone, talk to them for a bit, maybe spend a few hours with them and then you run into them say, six months later and they completely forget ever meeting you.

You see them and say "hey how are you doing" and they give that blank stare like, huh? And then you realize they don't even remember who you are. And even worse after trying to remind them they still can't recall.

What's with some people, I mean I personally am not good at remembering names but at least I can recall meeting someone regardless if the experience was good, bad or indifferent.

An example of this is when I used to frequent a small dive bar and I was one of a small group of regulars there. I had been going every weekend for the past 3 years. The bartender knew my name would always say hello and such and we would occasionally chit chat about things.

I went in after a few months of not going and said hello to the bartender, and what do I get in response, a blank stare, followed with, " what can I get for you"? It's then I realized she completely forgot who I was. How is that even possible?!

Honestly...

There's so many worse things that people do to blow me off that if I worried about a relative stranger forgetting me, I'd have gone crazy by now.

Friends blow off my holiday wishes texts. Other friends blow off my attempts to hang out with them. Facebook friends announce they'll be in my town and when I try and be cordial and ask them to hang, they blow me off.

In the past, I have actually welcomed not being remembered because I think I have a 'unique' physical appearance. Not being remembered means that they thought of me as just another guy.

Old 12-26-2012, 05:09 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,541,384 times
OP, self centered much? Do you also feel the world must revolve around you? First off, people do have memory problems when it comes to people they casually meet, especially 6 months later. In those 6 months you may have changed your hair color and style as well as different makeup causing you to look different for those who only casually met you six months prior. The person you met may have also met hundreds of people since your meeting and your meeting was replaced in her memory by more important memories. Next time this situation happens, instead of focusing on "you", try being a little more understanding and considerate of the forgetful person. Politely remind them of your name and meeting. They're embarassed about forgetting. Don't add your attitude to their embarrassment.

Old 12-26-2012, 08:24 PM

373 posts, read 644,214 times
I am notoriously bad at remembering people in social situations. Especially if I have a drink or two. I often have people talk to me like they have known me for years and I just roll with it and hope they don't catch on. It is rather embarrassing.

Old 12-26-2012, 08:57 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,185,020 times
Yes, I sort of have a complex about this. I must have a forgettable face. It does get on my nerves, especially if it is in the same context, like with the same mutual friend, and not much time has passed.

Old 12-28-2012, 02:50 AM

3,963 posts, read 5,697,954 times
Don't take it personal as I forget faces all of the time.

Old 12-28-2012, 12:53 PM

865 posts, read 1,489,885 times
People tend to forget things I say or do, or my name...there is the odd occurance when I will throw some random thing into conversation to see if people are paying attention when I pick up that they aren't. It's funny when they pick up on it, especially when I say something like "there is an zebra outside in the parking lot". Recently I said that to someone, and they didn't pick up on it and agreed "yeah, I saw that too"...ummm, really??? Darn, should have asked for that guys paycheck instead since he was so agreeable!

Old 12-28-2012, 03:47 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,805,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branDcalf View Post
Maybe they (gasp) didn't care for me?
Ha--if I don't like someone, believe me I'm going to remember having met them and just what they did to **** me off, lol. Unlikeable people are not the forgettable ones.

Old 12-28-2012, 05:37 PM

8,697 posts, read 11,087,873 times
i have almost the opposite problem. I have such great memory of most people....i've been called a stalker!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships