Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2012, 02:49 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,541,384 times

Advertisements

My mom reminded me of something I did when I was 5. She told me to set the table. After putting out the dishes and silverware, I wanted to go one step further and put out napkins like on TV. I found the box of napkins and placed them on the table. I knew they were good because the box said they were sanitary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2012, 06:04 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,871,011 times
I went out shopping tonight and rode my bike to get there, so when I went inside, I was sweaty and pumped-up looking, and wearing my big, black boots, a pair of darkish jeans, and a black Dickie's jacket. I'm sure I looked like the least friendly or gentle guy in the room although I was actually in a pretty good mood... despite this, as I made my way through one of the aisles, this adorable little Asian girl in pigtails, couldn't have been older than three, comes tearing towards me at full speed, stops maybe two feet in front of me, looks up at me with a huge smile, and goes, "MEWWY KWISTMAS!!" while waving.

I got a huge smile, looked down at her, and said, "well, Merry Christmas to you, too!" At that, she tore back towards her parents and attached herself to her dad's leg, gleefully rubbing her face into his leg and pulling her fists towards herself and stomping her feet in total, little-kid-freakout excitement.

Little girl, you made my Christmas :')

Old 12-25-2012, 08:19 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,150,276 times
I was working in a corporate daycare many years ago. It was located in a high rise, in the middle of downtown. Twice a day we would take the kids down the elevators, to the street and in the back parking lot was a complete playground the corporation set up. As we made our way there was a delivery truck making a delivery to the restaurant on the main floor. One of the delivery men was a little person. The two boys that were with me stopped dead and stared. I thought oh no. This was a week before christmas. The man turned around and started to walk in with a box and one of the little boys asked him if he was one of Santa's elves. I wanted to die. The man didn't miss a beat, smiled and said that he was. He asked the boys if they had been good all year. The boys nodded in awe and agreement. I started to mouth Im sorry to the man but he gave me a beaming smile and wished us a Merry Christmas.

Old 12-26-2012, 01:25 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,871,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
I was working in a corporate daycare many years ago. It was located in a high rise, in the middle of downtown. Twice a day we would take the kids down the elevators, to the street and in the back parking lot was a complete playground the corporation set up. As we made our way there was a delivery truck making a delivery to the restaurant on the main floor. One of the delivery men was a little person. The two boys that were with me stopped dead and stared. I thought oh no. This was a week before christmas. The man turned around and started to walk in with a box and one of the little boys asked him if he was one of Santa's elves. I wanted to die. The man didn't miss a beat, smiled and said that he was. He asked the boys if they had been good all year. The boys nodded in awe and agreement. I started to mouth Im sorry to the man but he gave me a beaming smile and wished us a Merry Christmas.
I love it when kids ask questions like that and people roll with the punches When I was a teenager back in the late '90's, I was walking around with some friends in Downtown Boston and we passed by a school. I happened to be wearing a black trench coat and a black, wide-brimmed hat over a pair of steel-toed boots that I'd cut the leather off the toe to expose the steel caps (what can I say, we were into industrial music!). As we walked by, all these kindergarten/first grade boys dropped what they were doing and came running up to me because they thought I was the WWE wrestler, "The Undertaker." They really, sincerely thought I was! I pretended to be (even though I'd never watched wrestling before) and picked one of the kids up and told him I was going to take him to the graveyard.

Old 12-27-2012, 02:19 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,907,427 times
I'm not very kid-oriented. My 5 year old niece asked me, "Who's your favorite princess ever?"

Me: Um, well I never really thought about it...hmm... I know everyone seemed to love Princess Diana, but I was never really interested in her, but I guess I respected her... I guess Princess Grace was pretty cool--I mean Grace Kelly was beautiful, she was an American from our area who married a real prince, plus she was in some cool Hitchcock movies before that..

My niece: (mouth open, looking a little confused/frustrated with me) Oh. Mine's Ariel.

Old 12-27-2012, 03:46 PM

20,398 posts, read 14,678,474 times
There was a Mom and kids in Micheal's (craft store) one day while I was wandering around in there. Mom was lookin' a little frazzed, had her infant on her chest and her son who was maybe 3-4 yrs old was STOMPING around the store and GROWLING and ROARING at well...everything. He was very fierce. But, he was staying near her and was not touching anything on the shelves.

She kept calling his name and telling him to stop. I told her, "Your son is the coolest monster I've ever seen! You should really get video of him doing this sometime." He growled at me. I growled back, and then told him he was awesome. He cracked me up. I hope my reaction helped her realize that other people would most likely find this behavior cute, not obnoxious, and she should maybe relax and enjoy her son's personality...but that was too much talk to fit into the moment.

He reminded me of my youngest, about age 2, when we went to the Aquarium and he growled at all the fish. I'm sure they were terrified.

Old 12-28-2012, 03:52 PM

830 posts, read 1,667,078 times
Default I look like the mailman?!

I have one funny kid story, I can't remember if I told it here or not...

Some years ago I rented a room from a couple who had preschool to elementary school-aged children, and we were all friends with another couple with young children who lived across the street. The neighbors and their two little daughters would be over at the house quite often. All the kids were nice to me even though I knew nothing about such young children and sometimes they annoyed me by just being kids (I've matured a little since then, I hope!).

Anyway...One weekend the neighbor and her two daughters were over and I was sitting on the couch by them, and the younger one, who was probably 3 or 4 stared at me, then said at the top of her voice, "you're RIGHT, Mommy, Rayah DOES look like the MAILMAN!" The neighbor got a look on her face and covered her daughter's mouth.

I wasn't offended, I just wondered "what's wrong with looking like the mailman? Is he ugly?" A little while later I saw the mailman, and he did look like me! But the comment and reaction still didn't click with me. Years later I heard about the jokes people made generations ago, when women typically didn't work outside the home, that while the man was at work the woman was "getting intimate" with the mailman, milkman, etc. Ohhh...now I get it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships