Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 09:04 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,325,947 times

Advertisements

It's good that you're taking steps to get yourself out of that hellhole, OP. It might take a few years until you can finally move out, but enrolling into a college is a HUGE step. They can take your money and your possessions, but they can NEVER take away your education. Education is something which lasts forever

Also, don't think that you're old. You're 28. What's the average lifespan in America? 78 years. You still have an entire 50 years to live! 50 years to get a stable job, 50 years to find love, 50 years to go to the places you always dreamed of visiting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2013, 09:23 PM

101 posts, read 201,681 times
yeah go direct deposit and charge everything on your debit card and dont carry cash anymore

Old 03-07-2013, 10:29 PM

80 posts, read 87,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
There's nothing wrong with "doing what you want to do" with your own money which you have earned by your own labor, Trell. Nor are you "going behind your mother's back" to make use of your own money, nor are you "defying her" - these are her perceptions, and appear to have nothing to do with reality.

That reality is that it is your money, not hers, and that it was earned by your labor, not hers, and it's your business what you do with it, not hers. You are an adult- but even if you were a 14 year old with a paper route, it would still be your money and your labor and your decision.

So get out as soon as you can, and meanwhile, give your mother about 25% of your paycheck for your room and board, as I previously suggested. After you're out, there's no need to give her any money.

Is her desperation to get her hands on your money just a control issue, or does she an addict who is using and needs the money for booze or drugs?
It's mainly a control issue im dealing with.

Old 03-08-2013, 12:20 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,144,742 times
I am from where you are living so I know how bad the economy is. Here are a few suggestions.

*Mackinaw Island usually starts hiring for the summer around this time. You live on the island and can continue to do so during the winter months. Basically everyone gets a room, dorm room style but its a roof over head. I had a friend that worked there for a few years. It solved his issue with needing a place to live, having a job and not owning a car.

*There are some jobs where someone needs a full time sitter for the elderly. You get a room and its a job.

*Apartment complexes look for on site maintenance people that get drastically reduced rent as long as they can do some handyman type fixes.

*Lastly, and maybe not the best financial way but if I were in your shoes. I would apply for school loans, attend college and use part of the loan money to get a small place. You probably would qualify for a pell grant as well. Once you are free you will feel better about yourself and grow.

Old 03-08-2013, 01:38 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trell B View Post
Sorry buddy. I don't DO loans. Ive seen the damage they do.
You're smart not to get into debt.

Your work ethic is going to get you through all this. Once you get into some other place, things will become better for you. Living with emotional abuse only brings you down. Since your mom takes your money anyway, paying rent to live somewhere else might not be so hard.

A lot of people have started out with no car and not too much but you also aren't in debt so you're not in red ink. To escape the drama, a homeless shelter or low rent room might be the quick way out and then you can go up from there. The main thing is just to get your things and get out of there and then your mind will clear.

Old 03-08-2013, 02:36 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,829,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
As a low-skilled minimum-wage employee he won't find a full-time gig with benefits, and thanks to 0bamacare companies are capping part-timers at 25 hours per week to avoid paying for health insurance.
You really think that started with Obamacare?

Old 03-08-2013, 07:46 AM

UPDATE: She started in on me again last night. This occurred because she was on the phone, and i did not say anything. I just went in my room. Later she came in and satarted screaming i didnt speak to her, telling me to get off my laptop, then she went on and on about how i'm ungrateful and ornery and how i need to humble myself to her and it just escalated from there.

She said i had balll, and that she will snip them off. She said im not a man until she says i am and that i am LESS THAN **** until she says i am. Then she want as far as threateneing my life by saying sh would put her .38 caliber pistol on me. This time i didn't even say anything, and just sat there and let her run her goddamn mouth. She is telling me to shut the **** up, she will not listen to what i have to say, and she went on saying She does not like me sitting there. She says that i will give her my paycheck and if not get the **** out.

This was unprovoked. I do my best to avoid her and it still dosent work.

Old 03-08-2013, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
I am from where you are living so I know how bad the economy is. Here are a few suggestions.

*Mackinaw Island usually starts hiring for the summer around this time. You live on the island and can continue to do so during the winter months. Basically everyone gets a room, dorm room style but its a roof over head. I had a friend that worked there for a few years. It solved his issue with needing a place to live, having a job and not owning a car.

*There are some jobs where someone needs a full time sitter for the elderly. You get a room and its a job.

*Apartment complexes look for on site maintenance people that get drastically reduced rent as long as they can do some handyman type fixes.

*Lastly, and maybe not the best financial way but if I were in your shoes. I would apply for school loans, attend college and use part of the loan money to get a small place. You probably would qualify for a pell grant as well. Once you are free you will feel better about yourself and grow.

Thank you.

Old 03-08-2013, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
You're smart not to get into debt.

Your work ethic is going to get you through all this. Once you get into some other place, things will become better for you. Living with emotional abuse only brings you down. Since your mom takes your money anyway, paying rent to live somewhere else might not be so hard.

A lot of people have started out with no car and not too much but you also aren't in debt so you're not in red ink. To escape the drama, a homeless shelter or low rent room might be the quick way out and then you can go up from there. The main thing is just to get your things and get out of there and then your mind will clear.
Yea, im going to ask my employer whether i can transfer to another state. I understand there's crime everywhere, but Detroit is just too violent for me, so i cannot live within city limits for fear of my life.

Old 03-08-2013, 08:26 AM

31,041 posts, read 22,077,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trell B View Post
Yea, im going to ask my employer whether i can transfer to another state. I understand there's crime everywhere, but Detroit is just too violent for me, so i cannot live within city limits for fear of my life.
If your mother is threatening you with a 38, sounds like your own house might be too violent for you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships