Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 03:12 PM

2 posts, read 4,335 times

Advertisements

a sibling is married, the person he is married to has a kid, my siblings taught this kid to call my uncle, but I don't like it especially since I'm not related to this kid in any way, and it makes me sound old even though I'm going to be 29, I still don't like it, I don't want kids, I want to be young forever but that's not going to happen of course, still the fact I'm not married or have kids or in any relationship makes me free to do what I want whenever I want without discussing it with anyone, asking permission, negotiating, etc... I don't even want to be an uncle. I didn't ask for this. What should I do? Tell the kid that I'm not really its uncle? Stop calling me uncle?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2013, 04:49 PM

8,271 posts, read 8,652,996 times
My sister has stepchildren and they call me by my first name. I am not their uncle.

It makes searching much more difficult when you had people making up relationships. You find out an aunt was really a 1st cousin twice removed or an uncle that wasn't even a blood relative.

Old 03-16-2013, 04:56 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,182,701 times
Think up a nickname that you can tolerate. Then everytime the child says uncle, tell him/her that you want a special name that's just for him/her.

In many areas, "uncle" is a term of respect just like Mister. It doesn't always mean a relationship. I think it's time you grew up a little. You are 29. You can do what you want. Being called "uncle" doesn't change that one whit.

Old 03-16-2013, 09:59 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,847,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicTech2013 View Post
a sibling is married, the person he is married to has a kid, my siblings taught this kid to call my uncle, but I don't like it especially since I'm not related to this kid in any way, and it makes me sound old even though I'm going to be 29, I still don't like it, I don't want kids, I want to be young forever but that's not going to happen of course, still the fact I'm not married or have kids or in any relationship makes me free to do what I want whenever I want without discussing it with anyone, asking permission, negotiating, etc... I don't even want to be an uncle. I didn't ask for this. What should I do? Tell the kid that I'm not really its uncle? Stop calling me uncle?
The "Relationships" forum section is down the hall, this is the "Genealogy" area...

Old 03-16-2013, 10:18 PM

2,457 posts, read 7,381,460 times
This is not an advice Thread but I'm offering it anyway. LogicTech, cool it The kid could call you much worse names, and may, with maturity.

Old 03-16-2013, 10:28 PM

830 posts, read 1,728,721 times
At 29, you're definitely at an age where you COULD be an uncle. I guess they want the kid to address you in a respectful way and "mister" isn't really appropriate.

Old 03-17-2013, 04:05 AM

17 posts, read 56,015 times
I have an uncle who is only 8 years older than me, I've been calling him "tito" (uncle in Tagalog) ever since he was a kid

Old 03-17-2013, 06:30 AM

5,831 posts, read 7,710,703 times
Why is it all about what you want? The parents don't want him calling adults by their first name. Zip it and find something else to complain about, Peter Pan.

Old 03-17-2013, 06:49 AM

1,523 posts, read 1,515,296 times
Why are you so determined not to have anyone tell you what to do? Was/is one of your parents overbearing? Hum, just a thought. Are you the youngest of your siblings, as in the baby of the family, or are you just naturally a brat? Why are you so adamantly opposed to something so trivial? Are you really that self-centered? Well, anyway, this is the wrong room for your question, as one poster said, relationship treads are down the hall.

Old 03-17-2013, 07:19 AM

1,074 posts, read 1,797,116 times
Some kids have Aunts or Uncles who are younger than they are. Not sure I get the complaint.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships