Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 11:27 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,055,061 times

Advertisements

This one is stumping me.

My wife has a friend she’s known for about 10 years. I say it’s *her* friend (and they are close) because this person, for about 10 years, has been married to essentially a non-entity. Long story short, he’s got some form of aspergers and he is deeply addicted to weed (I hope this doesn’t derail this thread). In ten years, and especially the last 6 or so, he’s completely isolated and is never seen at any social events. It’s only friend and her kid, who are close to my wife and our kids. Enough about him although I could go on and on.

So about five years ago, friend (I’ll call her Emily), decides she’s had enough and starts to plan to leave him. All her friends rally around her and offer support. Fast forward to now…it suddenly became clear to my wife and Emily’s other friends that she never made any serious steps to leave him. Zero. Everything has been a lie. Also, turns out she’s hitting the pipe heavily too for years. (IMHO all of this should have been abundantly clear to everyone after about a year.) Having been taken advantage of, my wife, and most of Emily’s friends more or less abandon the friendship about a month ago. Frankly, I was happy to see it happen.

Fast forward to: she gets an apartment but never moves in, and then tells all her (“former”) friends she’s going to reconcile, and that her hubby has immediately and permanently changed.

My wife, wonderful forgiving person that she is (and I truly mean that and which I could be more like her sometimes) is struggling with whether to take Emily back as a friend.

I think it’s a bad idea. And here’s why. Flame away, I guess…

1. Emily is a liar. Dishonestly pervades her very being. This is a bad basis for a friendship, even if most of the dishonesty is about herself.

2. she’s an addict. Her chronic pot smoking has affected her life profoundly. There’s no denying it (wife agrees on this one). She drives stoned. Has the ambition of a clam. Etc. She constantly lies about quitting.

3. This one is a little weird. Given #1 and #2 above, *I* don’t like having Emily around. First off I kind of feel like a 3rd wheel in my own home. Given her husband’s isolation, time with Emily is always a freakin girls day/night of some sort and it feels oddly ‘too much’ especially since we’re all in our mid-40s…with plenty of healthy friends to choose from. THIS IS THE ONLY FRIEND I FEEL THIS WAY ABOUT. I hope that came through as I intended it to.

4. I see my wife change (personality, mood) when she’s around Emily. She puts up with things, and expresses herself in ways that are different than with all her other friends. That version of my wife isn’t as much fun

First and foremost I want to be respectful to my wife, while at the same time being honest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2013, 12:01 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Insight -

Emily has a lot of issues.

Her husband may be a non-entity to you but he was/is very real to her.

Exactly how did she take advantage of your wife?

Old 04-08-2013, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Insight -

Exactly how did she take advantage of your wife?
Borrowed (took 4 years to pay back) $$ under probably false pretenses.

My wife feels like being lied to is a form of being taken advantage of.

Hundreds of hours of support and encouragement only to have Emily say "just kidding, I'm not leaving."

Old 04-08-2013, 12:11 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,128,518 times
First and foremost - CALL CPS!!! Get the kid out of there!!!

Old 04-08-2013, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
Hundreds of hours of support and encouragement only to have Emily say "just kidding, I'm not leaving."
BTW, this support and encouragement rarely took the form of husband bashing. It was very positive. It was also followed up by supporting her job hunt, resume help, networking, etc.

Old 04-08-2013, 12:18 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,217,774 times
1- Her husband may be dysfunctional.

2- ...But she is just as bad as he is, and stays with him because she feeds off of the unhealthy relationship. It takes two.

3- You have a right to want this friendship to end. By getting sucked into their dysfunction via friendship, you are putting your own emotional well-being at risk and possibly allowing their dysfunction fill some unhealthy need in you/your wife's own personalities.

4- Nothing good ever comes from this type of co dependancy and enabling.

Old 04-08-2013, 12:22 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,217,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
This
1. Emily is a liar. Dishonestly pervades her very being.
I refuse to have any sort of relationship with liars.

A liar is an imaginary person, a fake person, a person who lives in a fantasy world. No conversation or interaction you ever have with them is real. Your friendship isn't even real - it is just a game to a liar.

Relationships with a liar is like having a relationship with a cartoon character. It's just ...fake...and a complete waste of time.

Old 04-08-2013, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmachina View Post
I refuse to have any sort of relationship with liars.

A liar is an imaginary person, a fake person, a person who lives in a fantasy world. No conversation or interaction you ever have with them is real. Your friendship isn't even real - it is just a game to a liar.

Relationships with a liar is like having a relationship with a cartoon character. It's just ...fake...and a complete waste of time.
Exactly!

The way I see it, my wife has spent five years being a good supportive friend to Emily who now basically says "just kidding" basically negating any of the support/encouragement my wife gave. In theory everything my wife said and did could be thrown back at her by Emily or interpreted as "negative" if Emily was so inclined. My bet is that Emily will do that at some point.

And, although this sounds a little petty, Emily has wasted a whole TON of my wife's time, thus wasting my family's time and with our lives being as busy and full as they are...I resent that and my wife does too although she probably wouldn't use the word 'resent.'

Basically Emily has eff-ed with my wife which means you're effing with me but I want to let my wife have her own process while also not being dishonest with her about my feelings.

Old 04-08-2013, 12:59 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,128,518 times
Why are you concerned with your wife and her relationships; but son't seem to care about this child living with two drug addicts?

Old 04-08-2013, 01:07 PM

4,097 posts, read 11,479,707 times
Your wife is an adult. Just explain your feelings once and let her work on her own relationships. If you don't want her around you, that would be up to you to tell your wife. However, it is really not up to you to control who your wife befriends. Notice the word "control".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships