Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 04:27 PM

61 posts, read 102,899 times

Advertisements

Such as spending time with friends, co-workers, and neighbors. Do married people are less likely to engage in friendships with others vs the people who are not married, or in a relationship?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2013, 04:37 PM

8,272 posts, read 8,660,299 times
I wouldn't call it anti social. Do you expect a newly married person to hang out with the guys? To do the same things with the same people as they did before they were married?

I have many married friends. They are not anti social. There are times they no longer fit in the group. The same as there are times that singles do not fit into their group.

You sound young. You have to realize that you have some friends for somethings and other friends for other things. It is not high school where everyone does everything together.

Old 05-01-2013, 05:05 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,962,532 times
Yeah, people don't stop being social when they marry, they just form new social circles with people who are at the same stage of life.

Old 05-03-2013, 09:26 PM

82 posts, read 150,692 times
Yeah I think they just form new friends with other married couples. Guess you were X'd.

Old 05-05-2013, 04:01 PM

11,130 posts, read 9,767,171 times
No they are not "anti-social". They just have different priorities. As they move on with their lives, they have less time for the activities that their single friends participate in. Once they have kids, they will have even less time for that stuff.

Old 05-05-2013, 04:40 PM

1,152 posts, read 3,201,410 times
I am single and have a lot of married friends. I honestly have found my relationship with my friends has not changed all that much when they get married. It probably helped that I made an effort to be friendly with or even become friends with most of their spouses. Basically, all marriage has done is expanded our social circle by one .

Sure there may be a bit less "one on one" time, but honestly the difference between friend with long term gf and married friend is pretty negligible in that regard. And of course, some people go through a "disappearing" stage when they first get married, but they usually re-engage socially eventually .

I also find I sometimes "cut myself" out of social events to some extent because I don't like being the odd man out. Most of my friends are now couples, and to go to dinner for example with 3 couples and be the only single dude can be a bit awkward. I am always invited though - they want me to come - that's just a personal thing on my side. Of course, I've now moved to the opposite coast so those situations come up less often, but the idea stands .

The thing I have found that radically changes friendships is not marriage, but having children. That creates such a massive change in priorities and frankly loss of free time that it seems inevitable that socializing with people without children decreases drastically. For people with kids, their social life is wrapped up in their kids - school, soccer games, play dates. That's not to say I do not maintain friendships with my friends who have kids, but it is more of a "we keep up online and meet for dinner once a year" than an active social relationship. The friendship is still strong, it's just not as social.

Old 05-05-2013, 04:41 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times
Huh?

What is the op asking?

Old 05-07-2013, 08:42 AM

2,817 posts, read 3,463,013 times
not anti-social, but spending more time with the family is important.

Old 05-07-2013, 09:42 AM

1,961 posts, read 4,385,931 times
No. But once you get married and start having a family your time is more divided.

Its not anti-social, its just friends don't make up as BIG a chunk of your socializing as they did before you had a family.

Old 05-07-2013, 09:58 AM

2,865 posts, read 3,632,658 times
Depends on the couple and how much they want to socialize as a couple or individually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships