Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 02:56 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times

Advertisements

From the music they listen to, to what they wear, to how they talk, or even their body language, it seems that despite how supposedly pro-equality and comfortable with homosexuality we are, a lot of men are outright terrified of being viewed as gay by society, or being mistaken as gay. Many teens still use 'gay' as a negative epithet (even if it's lost it's meaning). Many women, too, are turned off by men who act a little gay or feminine, and think bisexual men are like lepers (while female bisexuality is celebrated).

Is this because we're still not really comfortable with homosexuality, particularly male homosexuality? Why is there still such an obsession with trying to be macho? Is it an uncomfortable transition or will we always be like this?

Old 05-14-2013, 06:40 AM

12,262 posts, read 24,461,491 times
In my opinion the hardest person to tell you are gay is yourself. Once a person does that then everything else usually falls into place.

Old 05-14-2013, 06:45 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
In my opinion the hardest person to tell you are gay is yourself. Once a person does that then everything else usually falls into place.
That has not been the case with some people I have known, who have been surprised (painfully) to learn who does not support them once they come out. The more you care about that person, the more it hurts to have them reject you, even if you feel great about yourself.

IMHO, some straight men resist so strongly because it is the opposite of the traditional male stereotype, and sometimes because the actual mechanics of it are repellent to them.

Old 05-14-2013, 07:10 AM

3,879 posts, read 8,383,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Is this because we're still not really comfortable with homosexuality, particularly male homosexuality?
Because I don't know what "society" you are referring to but homosexuality is still not widely accepted everywhere. Or have you not read the news lately? Sure, there are a lot of people for it but still a lot of people against.

There are still large groups in certain areas where this is not accepted at all.

Hell, just visit the Politics & Other Controversies forum and you'd see why its still tough being gay.

Old 05-14-2013, 07:43 AM

12,262 posts, read 24,461,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
That has not been the case with some people I have known, who have been surprised (painfully) to learn who does not support them once they come out. The more you care about that person, the more it hurts to have them reject you, even if you feel great about yourself.

IMHO, some straight men resist so strongly because it is the opposite of the traditional male stereotype, and sometimes because the actual mechanics of it are repellent to them.
It's funny but I have had a straight guy lie to me for years and tell me he was gay. Now that is actually sociopathic behavior but it is ironic that when many gay people feel the need to hide I have had the exact opposite in my life.

As to your point. I have been very lucky and have never lost a friend due to my sexual orientation. In fact I have had straight guys tell me that I was the first gay guy they liked, as a friend, and did so in front of people at a going away party. However I understand not everyone is as lucky. Maybe it's because I'm in the 1% or because I'm very social idk. What I do hear is how religious a family is usually is the best indication of how hard it will be for the person to come out.

Old 05-14-2013, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
Because most straight men don't want other people thinking they enjoy riding pole.
Yet many women encourage others to think they're at least slightly crooked. It's definitely revealing of how female/male homosexuality is treated in society.

Old 05-14-2013, 09:26 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,836,203 times
OP, I think you're reading too far into it. Lots of guy's prefer to feel like a Man's Man ( or some other macho variation) and that's pretty much it.

Old 05-14-2013, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
OP, I think you're reading too far into it. Lots of guy's prefer to feel like a Man's Man ( or some other macho variation) and that's pretty much it.
I think it's more than that. Everything is construed as gay. It seems straight society has this inordinate obsession with homosexuality.

Old 05-14-2013, 09:35 AM

20,048 posts, read 18,307,736 times
Well, it's definitely not rocket science!

Old 05-14-2013, 09:38 AM

1,225 posts, read 3,229,492 times
We live in a macho society. Just look at advertising trends (think, beer commercials). As much as we have progressed, we still don't live in a society that is completely comfortable with homosexuality (especially male homosexuality). I believe that many people associate being gay with somehow being lesser.

As a gay man, it has been my experience that the majority of straight guys are pretty open minded and accepting (granted, I live in a liberal area but when I lived in more conservative areas, this wasn't as much the case). I have found that most straight men that are comfortable with themselves and their sexuality don't feel as much of a need to act macho or to "prove" that they're not gay. The ones that try to act all macho are typically way over-compensating and you have to wonder what they're hiding.

On a side note, in my experience, very attractive men are hardly ever homophobic, while less attractive men are more likely to be homophobic (I know I'm generalizing here). Perhaps, homophobia and insecurity go hand in hand?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.