Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 08:09 AM

111 posts, read 660,068 times

Advertisements

Do you run into old close friends or lovers or ex wives/husbands, that you left things poorly with, when you are out in public and are just a wreak afterwards?

I tend to wait to avoid if all possible people who are out of my life whose relationship ended poorly and when I do run into them it is incredibly difficult.

The other day I ran into an old boss and his wife. I worked very closely with him for three years talking 10 times a day. But then suddenly nothing I could do was right and after months of progressive discipline and fights and appeals to his boss, I was fired. Just when I thought I was over this, I run into his wife and him, talk about a difficult interaction. I felt like I was two feet tall. I feel the same after running into old boyfriends and close friends I had fights with.

How about you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2013, 09:00 AM

373 posts, read 644,182 times
I have lived in the same town my whole life so I have had my fair share of awkward encounters. It does not ever get easier.

I scope out parking lots for any cars my ex owns, so I won't run into him.

Old 06-06-2013, 09:01 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,111,132 times
Maybe it's immature but I just act like I don't see them if I run into someone like that.

Old 06-06-2013, 11:58 AM

111 posts, read 660,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
Maybe it's immature but I just act like I don't see them if I run into someone like that.
You met their eyes or almost run into them. It seems odd to be so close to someone that you share such an intense relationship one day and then poof, you act like they don't exist.

I ran into my old boss physically at a shopping mall, (by accident) there was no way to act like he did not exist.

Last edited by HumanNature; 06-06-2013 at 12:20 PM..

Old 06-06-2013, 12:13 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,645,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanNature View Post
You met their eyes or almost run into them. It seems odd to be so close to someone that you share such an intense relationship one day and then poof, you act like they don't exist.
You said in your OP that you felt about two feet tall after talking to your former boss and his wife.

Did you run into them at a store? Wouldn't it have been easier to pretend you didn't see them and go in the other direction?

Several years ago I saw a former coworker(who was disliked by most of the dept) at an outdoor shopping mall about a year after I left that job, I kept walking and pretended I didn't see them.

He was probably the most unpleasant coworker I have ever had to deal with, I had no desire or need to speak to him.

Old 06-06-2013, 12:32 PM

4,241 posts, read 7,178,863 times
The boss situation would be very awkward, but I think with my two former boyfriends I would be civil. Though "it didnt work out", still good memories of those relationships.

If I saw the boss who fired me, well, heck, we'd both probably avoid trying to make even eye contact, and it would be a very prefunctory "hello", if it came to that.

Old 06-06-2013, 01:00 PM

4,490 posts, read 4,985,456 times
I treat non family the way they treat me.
Avoids drama.

Old 06-06-2013, 04:05 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,373,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty12 View Post
I have lived in the same town my whole life so I have had my fair share of awkward encounters. It does not ever get easier.

I scope out parking lots for any cars my ex owns, so I won't run into him.
I avoid one of my former landlords, bc. it was a really bad apt. & he was just so blase about the condition of the place, I moved out as soon as I could.
I haven't lived in same city/state my whole life, but I've been here over 17 years, which is enough time to encounter plenty of people I'd never want to meet again.
Even if it wouldn't be awkward for them, maybe they don't even remember me-but I remember them, and not in a good way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanNature View Post
It seems odd to be so close to someone that you share such an intense relationship one day and then poof, you act like they don't exist.
Well said.
It's incredibly strange yet what's the alternative, when it's somebody you'd rather forget
(bc. of painful way things ended, be it romantic or be it professional) ?

For example, I have a few former friends that it would be terribly awkward to ever see again-
when I do, I hide & wait for them to pass by before I venture out.
I don't want to feel I have to explain or apologize for the fact that we're no longer friends-
and I admit, when people do that to me, it feels crummy, but I never claimed not to be a hypocrite.

Old 06-06-2013, 04:18 PM

122 posts, read 337,691 times
Now you know why we grow old and grumpy, a life filled with relationships that turned to rot. Why bother to be friendly or pleasant when everyone we meet will somehow disappoint. And then it just a circle from there, us being part of the equation, grumpy, infecting miserably.

Two girls now whom have worn out their welcome after giving it a go,. One smells like sour puke and keeps a pile of crumbs around her chair. Another turns out to be a hoarder with ideas I can't agree with. There is never any eye contact anymore, but I have the advantage when the friendship is their loss.

Old 06-12-2013, 12:44 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,786,996 times
No need to feel awkward or as though you are beneath them. Hold your chin up, look them in the eye, and smile. Say hello and press on. You can run into old friends, lovers, and bosses and still keep your dignity intact. Show them you aren't phased and that you have moved on, no grudges, no regrets. Try it next time, I think you'll feel a sense of relief when you can face these people without having to pretend you don't see them or ignoring them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships