Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 01:49 AM

438 posts, read 661,285 times

Advertisements

I am having a hard time dealing with friends that drink. It is very rare for me to drink and I am uncomfortable around a lot of drinking. I try to remember that it is a disease but it is hard to deal with the reality that a few of my friends are alcoholics. I have stopped dealing with one of them because of alcohol related behavior.

Yesterday a friend showed up at my house to go for a routine walk we do most nights. She was not sober and drove over. She could not walk straight and I said something to her about drinking and driving. I was very calm. I reminded her that we had a discussion once before and I told her I would call her on drinking and driving if I saw that kind of behavior.

Today I was her punching bag. It wasn't what she said but the energy behind it that hurt.

I am very sad about this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2013, 06:41 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,490,599 times
AA has a program for the friends and family of alcoholics. It is a great program and will teach you how to set boundaries and deal with the issue.

Highly recommend you go. A friend needed it to learn how to "help" her daughter without enabling her.

Old 07-20-2013, 07:03 AM

3,653 posts, read 3,791,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
AA has a program for the friends and family of alcoholics. It is a great program and will teach you how to set boundaries and deal with the issue.

Highly recommend you go. A friend needed it to learn how to "help" her daughter without enabling her.
This. You either cut ties with the drunks and develop healthier friendships, or, if you find yourself unable to do that, go to Al-Anon.

Me? I preferred to eliminate drunks from my life.

Old 07-20-2013, 07:27 AM

9,230 posts, read 16,558,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branDcalf View Post
This. You either cut ties with the drunks and develop healthier friendships, or, if you find yourself unable to do that, go to Al-Anon.

Me? I preferred to eliminate drunks from my life.
That pretty much sums it up. I learned that lesson myself.

I think people tolerate alcohol abuse more because alcohol is legal. People are more likely to kick a crack head or a meth addict to the curb, but alcohol destroys lives and families all the time. I don't see much of a difference anymore.

Old 07-20-2013, 11:40 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,300,712 times
I stay away from people who drink to excess...too unpredictable, and I don't like how it changes them

Old 07-20-2013, 04:38 PM

I am very familiar with all the A's.

I have no problem setting boundaries. And keeping them.

I wasn't asking for advice. I was expressing my sadness over seeing another friend in such a state.

I have known her for 13 years and she just started drinking about a year ago. She drank mostly at night when I wasn't around her. But she has just recently started drinking earlier.

I do not tolerate alcohol abuse at all when it interfere with my life. Which means I will have to end this relationship as I did the last one. I am not willing to have alcohol be a part of my life.

Old 07-20-2013, 05:06 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,937,171 times
How did she get home?

Old 07-20-2013, 05:43 PM

She drove home after I told her I thought she was sober enough to drive.

Old 07-20-2013, 06:43 PM

6,927 posts, read 6,948,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laughing traveler View Post
I wasn't asking for advice. I was expressing my sadness over seeing another friend in such a state.
Well, then. I'm sorry for both you and your friend. Hope she sobers up sooner rather than later and good on you for making sure she was OK to drive home.

Old 07-20-2013, 07:48 PM

355 posts, read 389,440 times
at first I thought you were being super uptight and judgemental

but it sounds like your friend really legitimately has a problem
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships