Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 08:16 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,003,941 times

Advertisements

Sorry, me again. This is not in direct response to anyone, per se.

I did want to say that we had another thread going about breaking off a long term relationship, and I told a story about a friend who had initiated an email exchange with my husband about me, mean stuff. Well, my best friend of 19 years, my lesbian friend, is the most trustworthy friend I have ever had in my life. She would never, ever, ever, ever do something like that. She is the one who would listen to me cry about it without saying "what about me? it's always you" or whatever. So with true friends so rare in the world, why would I ever say "gee, I don't like your lifestyle, see ya later".

So that's all I'm saying. I'll take her any day over pretty much anyone else.

Old 11-16-2007, 08:51 PM

20 posts, read 186,609 times
I'm straight as an arrow... my roomate is lebian, we are like sisters... no uncomfortable there. My bf's roomate is gay... seems to be no uncomfortable there. We even went out once with several gay friends turned out bf and I were the only straight people of 10 at a table and we all had a great time. I don't much care what anyone's preference is, we are all people. And because I have so many friends who are gay or lesbian, I would never date someone who had a problem with that either.

Old 11-17-2007, 10:27 PM

1,697 posts, read 3,484,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollygolightly View Post
Ok, I just want to say a couple of things...

No, I don't agree with thinking ANY kind of healthy sexuality is "gross." I mean, c'mon, we're all adults here. Women with men, men with men, women with women...it's just sex. The more important thing is, who do you love? And the answer to that is, well, personal, and life-changing, and it really depends on the individual. Whether that affects who you have as friends, to me, is incredibly superficial.
To me, all sexuality really is about is who we like to play with. It's a shame that so many people attach so much more to it than that...

Old 11-18-2007, 09:13 AM

4,050 posts, read 6,145,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb919 View Post
To me, all sexuality really is about is who we like to play with. It's a shame that so many people attach so much more to it than that...
This is a confusing post. So, are you implying that relationships and commitments are all about playing? I think sexuality means quite a bit. Please correct me if I'm interpreting you incorrectly; I'm sorry if I am.

Old 11-18-2007, 10:24 AM

1,697 posts, read 3,484,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
This is a confusing post. So, are you implying that relationships and commitments are all about playing? I think sexuality means quite a bit. Please correct me if I'm interpreting you incorrectly; I'm sorry if I am.
In a sense, yes, they are about playing. I was thinking from a pure sexuality standpoint, though, when I made that post, although of course there is a direct connection between sexuality and relationships (why would anyone have a relationship with someone that they're not physically attracted to?) . I do think that it's all ultimate play- heck, I think life itself is the ultimate virtual reality game. We all take ourselves and one another too seriously in general...

Old 11-18-2007, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb919 View Post
In a sense, yes, they are about playing. I was thinking from a pure sexuality standpoint, though, when I made that post, although of course there is a direct connection between sexuality and relationships (why would anyone have a relationship with someone that they're not physically attracted to?) . I do think that it's all ultimate play- heck, I think life itself is the ultimate virtual reality game. We all take ourselves and one another too seriously in general...
Okay, I see. I can agree with that philosophy on some levels but not on others.

This could get irrelevant quickly, but as for the question (which I guess you meant to pose rhetorically) about why someone would have a relationship with someone he or she is not attracted to, an answer is the person is asexual. I know a few asexual people; I've no doubt it's a real orientation. And many asexual people still want to have relationships. And I'm not talking about people who have been sexually abused and are uncomfortable with sex, but people who have simply never been interested in it.

Actually, I'm not sure that anything I've said is relevant, but there it is.

Old 11-18-2007, 12:35 PM

264 posts, read 830,172 times
Default Gay or Lesbian? Are you close friends with a Straight person?

Goodtype,
I hope you don’t mind that I turned the question around so that I could respond as well. It is still in the spirit of what you were asking.

I’m a lesbian and my partner and I have been together for over 6 years now. We both have several straight friends who we are very comfortable being around. Their sexuality doesn’t concern me as I already have the one person whom I love and I’m not interested in finding anyone else.

As a truck driver, I’m around straight males all the time and I sometimes get “hit on” (guess I’m not that bad lookin for an old gal…LOL). It doesn’t really bother me, actually it’s kinda flattering. I just simply tell them I’m married and not interested, but thanks for the compliment.

I did get “hit on” once by a lesbian woman who worked at a truck stop. THAT was a bit more of a challenge. I was tempted but I remembered my commitment to God and to my partner and politely refused. So, I can somewhat imagine what a straight woman must feel when she’s hit on by another woman.

All in all, I just try to be friends with everyone. I’m just a “people person” I can’t help it.

Old 11-18-2007, 12:36 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,364,362 times
I work with a gay dude, he's a friend (not close) but a friend, I have no problem with it but I've seen what he downloads and I would not be comfortable if we were close friends and he was open about what I've seen.
I've had a couple of lesbian friends one was a very close friend, no big deal, the only thing was they confided in me with their relationships and always seemed to have problems, it got old but then it would be no differant if they were straight.
Straight, gay ot whatever it really doesn't matter to me as long as they don't flaunt it, it's the same to me as race, it's the person I like or dislike not what they are but as with anyone I don't like it when they constantly have to remind me what their preferance or race is, i know that.

Old 11-19-2007, 08:10 AM

10 posts, read 36,685 times
Why is it that when I (or others) attempt to show compassion but cannot condone homosexuality because of their true inner beliefs.....they are labeled "Homophobic" and/or are the recipients of snide or hateful remarks? I have no more "choice" in my beliefs than a homosexual does in being who they are. I have attacked no one on their orientation....yet I am the recipient of sarcasm, condemnation and attacks on my religion. I have not attempted to preach to anyone and I resent the homosexual agenda being "rammed down my throat"(sound familiar?). Be happy and gay if that is YOUR thing....but please don't condemn others for not condoning your behavior when you cannot accept theirs. I LOVE homosexuals....I HATE homosexuality.

Old 11-19-2007, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen J. Robb View Post
I have no more "choice" in my beliefs than a homosexual does in being who they are.
I beg to differ. I've seen many people change religions, abandon religion, gain religion when they were not religious before, or decide they simply don't subscribe to certain tenets of their religions. Same for spiritual beliefs. People change their minds about these things all the time. As far as I know, people aren't born with religious/spiritual beliefs that remain unchanging all their lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships