Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 08:02 AM

22 posts, read 38,609 times

Advertisements

I am tempted to at times. For instance yesterday I saw an "Obama 2012" sticker and was tempted to ask the man behind the wheel if he was planning on scraping it off any time soon. I didn't do it but I wouldn't have much of a problem with asking. I mean, you're basically advertising your political views when you slap on stickers in such a visible place, right? So you should be able to defend your position at all times.

Oh, and in case anyone is wondering, I voted for the POTUS the first time but not the second. Drone attacks and continuation of Dubya's neocon policies were a bit too much for me. So please don't accuse me of being a 'bagger...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2013, 08:08 AM

2,007 posts, read 6,829,003 times
No, if they believe in it enough to put it on their vehicle your not going to do anything but cause trouble maybe more if I say something. I won't change their mind in other words and maybe they will vandalize my vehicle when I leave them. People are doing this kind of childish stunt for less.

Old 09-03-2013, 08:09 AM

1,409 posts, read 1,156,271 times
I have wanted to a few times in my life but unless it said completely outrageous like "pro pedophilia dude" I would resist the urge. I think its a really bad idea to confront strangers about an ordinary political view, that would be seen as pretty aggressive and like your trying to start a fight, dont do it...whatever your political views are, others have theirs too so just let people have their opinions. An ordinary sticker does not equal an invitation to debate or argue w a stranger

Old 09-03-2013, 08:11 AM

13,980 posts, read 25,942,367 times
Obama bumper stickers don't look nearly as silly as the Romney ones I still see plastered on cars all over the south.

But, no, I don't comment, especially on political or religious ones. If I disagree with their message, I might not let you merge in front of me though.

I never understood the desire to plaster your car with the things. I can't imagine anybody on the road particularly cares about my affiliations.

Old 09-03-2013, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowwalker View Post
No, if they believe in it enough to put it on their vehicle your not going to do anything but cause trouble maybe more if I say something. I won't change their mind in other words and maybe they will vandalize my vehicle when I leave them. People are doing this kind of childish stunt for less.
I was on a bike riding by the person so they couldn't have done anything to me. Other times I am on foot.

Yes, I think sometimes that the person could get really mad. It would be pretty funny if they did, though, because they want to erect a billboard without commentary?

Old 09-03-2013, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Obama bumper stickers don't look nearly as silly as the Romney ones I still see plastered on cars all over the south.

But, no, I don't comment, especially on political or religious ones. If I disagree with their message, I might not let you merge in front of me though.

I never understood the desire to plaster your car with the things. I can't imagine anybody on the road particularly cares about my affiliations.
I like them actually and have some on both my bikes. It's funny because I have the 4th Amendment sticker, along with some more "hippiesh" sayings so it's a mish-mosh.

I find it odd to keep the sticker of the one who lost. I saw a huge McCain/Palin sign in an auto body shop and it shaved off 50 IQ points of the owner in my eyes.

Old 09-03-2013, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondayafternoons View Post
I have wanted to a few times in my life but unless it said completely outrageous like "pro pedophilia dude" I would resist the urge. I think its a really bad idea to confront strangers about an ordinary political view, that would be seen as pretty aggressive and like your trying to start a fight, dont do it...whatever your political views are, others have theirs too so just let people have their opinions. An ordinary sticker does not equal an invitation to debate or argue w a stranger
I would hardly 'confront" anyone but merely ask very calmly if they still feel the same way. I mean, we're on the verge of yet another war?!

I was in a store and they had a sign that said: "I did build this." It was a reference to something Obama had said on the campaign trail. But it had been distorted by the Right and used to curry favor with the small business community. So I explained to the owner what exactly Obama had meant (that it takes the community to build a business and no one does it alone) and he was visibly upset but didn't say anything. I was a bit regretful that I had even brought it up but it irritated me because it was such a Faux Nooze talking point/distortion that I had to say something. I felt like this man sullied his store by even posting such a divisive sign in the first place. Best not to do such things. I haven't been back since because it made me wonder about his other views.

Old 09-03-2013, 08:49 AM

702 posts, read 726,457 times
I wouldn't say anything to anyone else. Someone did take a black marker and scribble all over my Obama sticker though. This was about a year and a half ago. I peeled it off. I guess they weren't a fan. Imagine taking a black marker to someone's car. Pretty low IMO.

Old 09-03-2013, 09:59 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,171,669 times
I might...if I thought the sticker was esp clever or witty or I had some connection.

I have a ton of bumper stickers on my car, but none political, except for the rainbow flag and that blue and gold "Equality" symbol, which is the logo of the Human Rights Campaign, a gay rights group.

I got asked about that one. This guy stops me in the Fedex parking lot and says he sees this around and wondered what it was, so I told him, its the HRC logo which is sort of the gay version of the NAACP.

That was the only time anyone asked me about my various stickers.

Old 09-03-2013, 10:02 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,063,208 times
I never feel the need to comment on bumper stickers.

I often times feel the need to tell liberals to keep their politics to themselves, stop talking about George Bush because he is long out of office, stop using the same old insults and broaden your news gathering beyond CNN and MSNBC.

Bumper stickers...nah, dont care
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships