Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 04:06 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,848,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
Sure you can. If the person is a work bully, you can always find another job and quit. It's a free country. You don't have to stay in a hostile working environment.
Ok, but bullies are everywhere. To quit every job just because a bully is there, is only hurting yourself. I do agree that in some cases it's best to just leave. But I don't think that's always the solution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2018, 11:23 AM

133 posts, read 98,517 times
Some places have them way more than others. Some don’t have any, others have far too many. Banking has the most. Lol!

Old 02-01-2018, 08:16 PM

6,311 posts, read 4,212,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stava View Post
But you can't always walk away. Sometimes the arrogant person or bully is at work, or in your family - someone you have to deal with on a regular basis. You can't walk away from everything.
You can emotionally walk away, not react or respond and disengage as soon as possible. Been there and done that. Trying to appease a bully just earns contempt and trying to outdo them is giving them a reaction.

Old 02-01-2018, 09:33 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,591,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimberlyAnn53 View Post
Some places have them way more than others. Some don’t have any, others have far too many. Banking has the most. Lol!

There are also quite a few teachers and nurses who are bullies. Not always on the job though, sometimes more with family and friends who they want to control and/or flaunt their superiority.

Old 02-02-2018, 06:32 AM

922 posts, read 794,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
The bully eats sleeps and breathes emotion.

If someone's bullying you at work, there's laws and procedures so use them.

Get a notebook and write everything down, time date what was said.
Yeah, except sometimes that bites you in the behind.

At my last job, four of us wrote a complaint about a person we worked with, and we were written up, accused of things we didn't do, and terminated one-by-one. We followed corporate "procedure". The bully was not dealt with, and our lives were made a living h***.

Old 02-02-2018, 08:26 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,403,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stava View Post
When I'm confronted with a bully or an aggressive personality, my first instinct is to deal with them in a sympathetic and understanding way, because I know that underneath the nastiness they are just hurt, damaged people who don't know any other way to relate.

But.

Sometimes this approach really doesn't work. Why? Because some bullies ONLY respect arrogance and power. They see the world as "who is up, and who is down" and approaching them in a kind, understanding manner causes them to interpret your approach as "weak". When, of course, you're not being weak at all - you're trying to get to the core of the issue. But that doesn't matter to an arrogant person. They'll just take it as an opportunity to take advantage of someone "foolish" enough to make themselves vulnerable. ...
I agree with you. I've said this for years. Bullies interpret kindness as "weak". They can't see it any other way.

They look for people they can prey on. That is their world view. We can't change it, but we can look for red flags so we can avoid bullies and shun them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships