Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 12:15 AM

1,429 posts, read 2,420,986 times

Advertisements

My good friend recently moved to the city I live in for a man that since her arrival has nothing to do with her. She is pretty but can't keep friends -except me and that is because I let her complain about everything without bothering me too much. She is 43 years old and I am embarrassed for her and am at the point I can't be around her...the reason being that her clothes are entirely too skimpy for her age. She wears the shortest shorts and tight tank tops in which displays her 43 year old breasts. It's not like she has a great figure either. Not nearly as good and my figure and I always keep it classy and age appropriate One day she walked around in her bikini top in a restaurant and around town - ugh. People stare at her and I can't tell it isn't in a good way!
I am so uncomfortable and embarrassed for her and to be with her. My family is shocked too! She sits with her legs drawn into her chest showing her big cellulite trunk legs and butt without a care in the world. My six year old is uncomfortable too.
Do I say something to her? As a friend? I am inclined not to because things never turn out well in situations like this. BUT she is always complaining why she doesn't have a boyfriend! I think geesh you never will at this rate.
My other friend has an amazing figure (implants) and looks like a barbie doll. She wears tight shirts (can't help being tight due to her enormous breast) but conservative otherwise.
Do I say something or bite my tongue? Is it fair to her? Me?
So weird she does that?
Anyone have suggestions? Thoughts? Insight?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2013, 02:08 AM

16,489 posts, read 24,489,562 times
I would talk to her. I would tell her this is not easy for you to talk about and you do not want to upset her but she needs to dress more age appropriate and not so scantily. Tell her that you see people giving her stares that are not good and that you think she would have a better chance finding a man by not dressing this way. I figure, what is the worse that can happen? Probably that she won't want to be your friend anymore. Is that a big deal to you, or could your friendship with her end and that would be ok?

Old 09-10-2013, 01:56 PM

1,003 posts, read 1,612,739 times
I've had associations like these and I let them die out from my suddenly really busy schedule. She needs to buy a dog, name it Clue, then she'll have one.

Old 09-10-2013, 02:13 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,424,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragazza2011 View Post
She needs to buy a dog, name it Clue, then she'll have one.

bwahahahahaha

i AM STEALING THIS!!!

Old 09-10-2013, 02:34 PM

12,585 posts, read 16,961,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragazza2011 View Post
I've had associations like these and I let them die out from my suddenly really busy schedule. She needs to buy a dog, name it Clue, then she'll have one.
Oh! ..and when the dog gets sick of her and runs away she will be....

Wait....

Clueless!!!!

Hee Hee!!!!!

Old 09-10-2013, 02:44 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,424,866 times
Love it!!!

Old 09-10-2013, 02:51 PM

3,588 posts, read 5,732,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breakingbad View Post
My good friend recently moved to the city I live in for a man that since her arrival has nothing to do with her. She is pretty but can't keep friends -except me and that is because I let her complain about everything without bothering me too much. She is 43 years old and I am embarrassed for her and am at the point I can't be around her...the reason being that her clothes are entirely too skimpy for her age. She wears the shortest shorts and tight tank tops in which displays her 43 year old breasts. It's not like she has a great figure either. Not nearly as good and my figure and I always keep it classy and age appropriate One day she walked around in her bikini top in a restaurant and around town - ugh. People stare at her and I can't tell it isn't in a good way!
I am so uncomfortable and embarrassed for her and to be with her. My family is shocked too! She sits with her legs drawn into her chest showing her big cellulite trunk legs and butt without a care in the world. My six year old is uncomfortable too.
Do I say something to her? As a friend? I am inclined not to because things never turn out well in situations like this. BUT she is always complaining why she doesn't have a boyfriend! I think geesh you never will at this rate.
My other friend has an amazing figure (implants) and looks like a barbie doll. She wears tight shirts (can't help being tight due to her enormous breast) but conservative otherwise.
So weird she does that?
I think your friend is pining for her youth. Maybe in a little bit of denial that is has passed. The way you describe that she sits, knees drawn to her chest, is kind of like a teenager. Not really a problem if she was covered up in jeans and a decent top. Bottom line, you're her friend. You're going to have to lead by example. Talk to her and get her to listen. You're her friend, you should know how to do this..start out by getting her more hopeful about dating, then lead in with discussions about clothes, have her come over when you're getting ready to go out, or the two of you plan to go out from your place and and both dress to go out there. Talk to her about what you like in clothes, different clothing lines, what you like about what you choose in fashions. Help her understand that the way an older woman dresses can be a BIG plus or minus for her in the dating pool. You can do it, help her develop an age appropriate style so she will project self acceptance and self respect instead of foolish desperation. Good luck.

Old 09-10-2013, 06:48 PM

2,757 posts, read 4,003,088 times
HA! "Clue" and "Clueless". Love it!

Tell the friend that she'd look attractive in age-appropriate clothes, and "tasteful" doesn't mean "boring". If she gets offended, oh well.

Old 09-10-2013, 06:51 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,397,970 times
Lol...I thought you meant tramp like hobo.

I had this picture of baggy pants and a stick with a bag on it.

Old 09-10-2013, 06:53 PM

1,589 posts, read 2,135,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breakingbad View Post
So weird she does that?
Some people are unable to change. And finding out that they have a problem would only upset them. (My grandma was an example, she didn't understand why we were all "against her" when we mentioned her flaw to her. All it brought was tears and her thinking that we are mistreating her, but ZERO understanding.)

So it could go 50/50 (you telling her). She may or not may accept it in the spirit you're telling her. I guess you would have to judge it for yourself: does she usually understand things you tell her, does she change or adapt in any other area? If no, then this most likely won't be happening here either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships