Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 07:05 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,797,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackscorpion View Post
Oh wow, yep! In fact, I just went through this on Friday, after having a long talk with a relative, that refused to go with me so I could have surgery. The only thing holding them back was that they were in class, but they could have easily went with me and they are the only family I had. My best friend ended up having to go with me because they would not do the surgery unless I had a ride home. After several hours, I realized that they would never apologize and so things will continue as they are.
Why should they apologize? They were unavailable to spend the day at the hospital with you and told you so. I wasn't available either. Do you need me to apologize?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2013, 08:11 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,882,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I was just wondering if anyone else has gone through this . I have a few friends and some relatives who refuse to apologize for anything wrong they do and Im tired of it . I have all but cut them out of my life but for obvious reasons have to keep on good terms with family members . I just hate the fact that they never apologize it drives me nuts . How about the rest of you ?
It doesn't drive me nuts like it does you, just makes me really sad that otherwise intelligent people waste so much time - like we've got forever or something

Old 10-28-2013, 08:46 PM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,730,290 times
For me, it doesn't matter so much when people refuse to apologize-- this has happened to me so much that I've been desensitized to it. Some may say I'm a bit jaded

What does throw me for a loop is when people try to re-write history to erase any wrongdoing they did when you know they know they're wrong. Bonus points when they try to throw manipulation in there to try to make you the one who owes the apology. That makes me all kinds of crazy

Old 10-28-2013, 09:59 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,355,817 times
Quote:
Oh wow, yep! In fact, I just went through this on Friday, after having a long talk with a relative, that refused to go with me so I could have surgery. The only thing holding them back was that they were in class, but they could have easily went with me and they are the only family I had. My best friend ended up having to go with me because they would not do the surgery unless I had a ride home. After several hours, I realized that they would never apologize and so things will continue as they are.
But why would your relative need to apologize? You asked for something. S/he had a previous commitment (even if you don't think attending class is important, it is to them). So you were told no. That's not a crime. Personally, if I were in your position I would rather have my friend with me than a relative, but you're entitled to your opinion on that. Just as your relative is entitled to say, "I'm not available to take you." If your relative had said, "Yes, I'll take you," and then just failed to show up at the appointed time, THAT would deserve an apology. But not the way you're telling the story.

Old 10-28-2013, 10:26 PM

1,866 posts, read 2,708,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Why should they apologize? They were unavailable to spend the day at the hospital with you and told you so. I wasn't available either. Do you need me to apologize?
wow, really? why should they apologize? This is the ONLY relative that I have that is in my immediate family and saying that you can't go with me to have surgery just because you don't want to miss ONE class which could be made up, yeah that's an issue.. They didn't even have to spend the whole day, just a few hours and that was it. I don't have anyone else to depend on and personally my chiropractor shouldn't have to shut down his business for the day to go with me because my relative wouldn't(he offered). Obviously, you have never been in pain, otherwise you wouldn't have said this.

Old 10-28-2013, 10:31 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,797,895 times
Quote:
wow, really? why should they apologize? This is the ONLY relative that I have that is in my immediate family and saying that you can't go with me to have surgery just because you don't want to miss ONE class which could be made up, yeah that's an issue.. They didn't even have to spend the whole day, just a few hours and that was it. I don't have anyone else to depend on and personally my chiropractor shouldn't have to shut down his business for the day to go with me because my relative wouldn't(he offered). Obviously, you have never been in pain, otherwise you wouldn't have said this.
Except, you DID have someone else to depend on. God I hate whiners. Everyone has pain, problems and complications, yours do not trump anyone else's.

Old 10-28-2013, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
But why would your relative need to apologize? You asked for something. S/he had a previous commitment (even if you don't think attending class is important, it is to them). So you were told no. That's not a crime. Personally, if I were in your position I would rather have my friend with me than a relative, but you're entitled to your opinion on that. Just as your relative is entitled to say, "I'm not available to take you." If your relative had said, "Yes, I'll take you," and then just failed to show up at the appointed time, THAT would deserve an apology. But not the way you're telling the story.
I guess that I would have to go back and rehash all of that(its in a previous post), more people were supportive than they are here. I suffered for a very debilitating condition where it was hard for me to get around. Walking hurt, bending hurt, standing hurt..just about everything, but sitting(until I got up) I was in pain EVERY SINGLE DAY. Now, this relative wanted me to take off a whole entire week from work, not only would I have missed those day,s but the loss of salary just would not make up for it. I would have been enormously behind. I worked in a job where I could sit down so going to work was not such a big deal, but I couldn't go 5 days, and you can't compare 5 days where I make 160 dollars a day to one day of college. Basically, I was in pain for almost 3 yrs and the surgery would have fixed all of that. I mean why would someone let a relative suffer? Family is supposed to be there for you. I shouldn't have to depend on friends and my own chiropractor to take me to the hosptial

Old 10-28-2013, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Except, you DID have someone else to depend on. God I hate whiners. Everyone has pain, problems and complications, yours do not trump anyone else's.
I also hate negative nancy's and mean spirited people. well I guess we agree on something there...and no i wasn't 100% sure I had someone, my friend works alot and I GOT LUCKY. Normally he is not available, by the grace of god he was, but i didn't know he was going to be available until a few days before..and I never said my pain triumphed anyone elses. The only person that was in pain in this story is me! Dang lady, you need some reading comprehension lessions. All I can say, is that I hope you are single, because nobody deserves to be around a mean spirited person such as yourself.

Old 10-28-2013, 10:38 PM

13,981 posts, read 26,015,115 times
When I needed surgery, I scheduled it after first making certain somebody was available to take me. If you did the opposite, then the onus is on you, not your relative. No apology necessary for being otherwise unavailable.

That's the type of demanded apology that makes no sense to me. I believe that if a relative or close friend could be there for me, they would. Therefore, if they can't, I trust they have a good reason.

Old 10-28-2013, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Waaaaa Waaaaa Waaaaa

Get over yourself. Everyone has problems. No one owes you ****.
Noone ever said that they were owed anything, you know if you don't like this thread so much, then why are you here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships