Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 11:10 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,952,048 times

Advertisements

He has every right to those ideas and you have every right to yours. Don't waste your time and his trying to change his views. Just stop associating with him and move on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocaseco View Post
I just had the same thing happen. A guy I've known for 10 years told me blacks were not capable of the same intellectual achievements as whites. I was shocked and called him a racists. he of course argued
Rather than argue about it, why didn't the two of you sit down and Google it? There has been decades worth of research conducted on this issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2013, 11:16 AM

31,086 posts, read 22,101,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmw36 View Post
So don't.

You'll never change his mind, either. You need to move on from this one if it's a dealbreaker.
But, you can change peoples minds. Happens all the time. Almost anyone can become enlightened through empathy.

Old 11-19-2013, 11:41 AM

1,137 posts, read 1,346,518 times
I'd never knew a non racist person until I met my wife. She was raised with disabled siblings and I think that shaped how she looked at people. Here's a small example from many years ago: She teaches special ed and she was telling me a story about how one of her aides calls in sick a lot. She never mentioned the aide was black. NO ONE I knew at that time would have left that fact out. It would have been 'the black aide'.
It made me look at my own prejudices, a truly non judgmental person can do that to you.

So... I'd say give the guy a chance. People can change, I did. Most of the worlds problems can be traced back to fear and/or ignorance and both of those things can be overcome.

Old 11-19-2013, 12:02 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,911,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Yeah; sounds like something nasty lurking under the surface of that friendship veneer. Racism is a deal-breaker for me; I simply would choose not to spend time with this individual and may or may not tell him why.
So, what do you do if they are family?? I grew up in one of the most racist families I have ever seen and the following generations are just as bad. Even as child I thought how unfair it was that they judged ALL by a few. One irony is that while they hated Mexicans one of my aunts married one and those cousins were the MOST spoiled and taken care of by the grandparents. My maternal grandfather was a first generation American but I am convinced that, had he lived in Germany, he'd have been in the SS during WW2. He WAS followed here during that time because of his outspoken views and the fact that he still had family there. Also because he kept trying to visit the German POW camp here. He and his brothers were KKK members in Chicago in the 1920s. My aunt had a pic of all that. Miles of white marching down Michigan Ave.. My maternal grandparents were just as bad but their 'targets' were the Mexicans and Indians here in AZ.

I had one friend that I eventually moved away from. Her views on politics and religion are light years different than mine so for a long time we simply didn't discuss it. It got to the point though where she belabored it and I started backing off. The day she called me "ignorant" was, pretty much, the last straw...

Old 11-19-2013, 12:40 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,531,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
Your friend made the racist comment, not his family-- so don't deem them to be racist.
I'm guessing the nut hasn't fallen too far from the tree though.

Old 11-19-2013, 01:06 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,481,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myspoonistoobig View Post

Thing is, I'm close to his whole family. I just never knew they were racist. How do I tell him to politely shove it up his ass?
I think you've made your position on the matter clear to your 'friend' so no need to tell your friend to shove anything anywhere (I'm not following how you arrived at the conclusion that the family was racist).

Sorry that you found out this news but better now than when you might actually need him to stand by your side.

[and then find that he won't]

Old 11-19-2013, 01:07 PM

8,347 posts, read 7,245,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myspoonistoobig View Post
I've been very good friends with a guy I've known for about three years. We're bros. I just got off the phone with him and he explained that he doesn't agree with interracial dating/marriage. I was not expecting anything like that to come from him. He's white and I am black Puerto Rican. I asked him to explain further and he said mixing cultures is not a good thing. I wanted to punch him in the face through the phone.

Then I asked him how he can like me as a friend if I'm technically mixed. He said because I don't act like a "typical negro". I had to hang up the phone at that point. I am completely in disbelief that he could say that to me.

Thing is, I'm close to his whole family. I just never knew they were racist. How do I tell him to politely shove it up his ass?
Dear myspoon,

years ago I owned and operated a expedited transport company. I became so ill, I couldn't operate the company any longer, and called upon a friend to drive the transporter for me. I gave him cash for tolls, a credit card to buy fuel with, and paid him 33% of what I netted in monthly settlements.

I dispatched him for a pickup in Sturtevant Wisconsin for a load that was going down to a Chicago based finishing and plating works.

At the end of that day, he stopped by to drop off freight bills, fuel and toll receipts and began to tell me of his experience at the loading dock in Chicago with a black guy who received and unloaded the unfinished parts. He told me that he insisted that the receiver sign the freight bill, and the receiver refused because the product freight bill was time and date stamped as received.

This sent my friend into a raging fit calling the receiver, who I've met many, many times in the past a dumb n****r!

I was like OMG.
My stomach sank, and I began to get a very big headache, and I felt very weak.

The next day, I called the company I was leased to and informed them I wouldn't be hauling for them anymore, that it was just too much for me to handle.
Later in the morning, my friend-driver called and asked if there were any pickups for today, and I just told him to come over because I wanted to talk to him.

When he arrived, I asked him for the credit card and the keys for the van, after he handed both to me, I unloaded on him, but really good. I didn't call him a racist, but I let him know that his position in dealing with different people was very, very unwanted.

I wouldn't go as far as to advise you to call your friend a racist, but I would sever ties/friendship in a clean, clear cut manner if you feel so sick about the situation, it's basically the way I cut ties with what was supposed to be a friend. I felt sick about it for a couple of weeks, always thinking how I should have gotten to know this person more before I began to trust him.

Old 11-19-2013, 01:43 PM

71 posts, read 79,017 times
I had to go see about Emmit Till. Brutal, cold and repulsive. Where I'm living right now there's been a lot of dismemberment, decapitations, really stupid hatred that is sectarian. Which I had to look up. Sectarian is people fighting about perceived differences....yeah that's right. Not even actual differences. Sometimes I don't thing that humans are species but a brutal organism that is out of control.

Old 11-19-2013, 02:27 PM
hvl

403 posts, read 552,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
But, you can change peoples minds. Happens all the time. Almost anyone can become enlightened through empathy.

Nah this topic is more like deeply held religious beliefs. waste of time trying to argue about it. sever ties if ti matters and live and let live.

Old 11-19-2013, 03:50 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,952,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvl View Post
Nah this topic is more like deeply held religious beliefs. waste of time trying to argue about it. sever ties if ti matters and live and let live.
Yes. There is also the possibility that a preference for one's own group is a biological protection mechanism. Outside of Europe, Canada and the US, the embracing of diversity and multiculturalism is relatively rare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships