Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 10:16 PM

361 posts, read 725,120 times

Advertisements

This is funny. I've come accross several men and women who would say things like : " somebody is lucky" ( inferring that the boyfriend gave it to me) or " that's a pretty necklace, where did he buy that for you? Tiffany?" As if I can't possibly buy one for myself.
What's with that? Has anyone experienced this when wearing a piece of jewelry that is not a ring?
Unless someone is actually wearing a ring, one cannot just assume that he/she is in a relationship based on the necklace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2013, 10:29 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,159,672 times
That's weird.

I've been (mostly, by choice) single for the past five years and I have some very nice gold jewelry including necklaces that I wear daily. Nobody has ever expressed an assumption that I must have a boyfriend that gave it to me. I presume that people assume I bought it for myself. In fact I have been asked where I bought by gold frog earrings and my gold turtle on a baht chain (I own several baht chains).

Perhaps you come across as someone who can't buy their own jewelry, so they assume someone bought it for you?

Old 12-20-2013, 10:49 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,901,711 times
Or maybe they are flirting?

Old 12-21-2013, 12:47 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,725,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamboyante View Post
This is funny. I've come accross several men and women who would say things like : " somebody is lucky" ( inferring that the boyfriend gave it to me) or " that's a pretty necklace, where did he buy that for you? Tiffany?" As if I can't possibly buy one for myself.
What's with that? Has anyone experienced this when wearing a piece of jewelry that is not a ring?
Unless someone is actually wearing a ring, one cannot just assume that he/she is in a relationship based on the necklace.
No, never. I guess I look like the kind of lady who can afford to buy her own jewelry?

Old 12-21-2013, 01:58 AM

7,588 posts, read 6,627,628 times
They're dummies, with a narrow and probably misogynistic frame of reference. Be grateful; with just the first sentence, they told you they're not worth wasting any of your time trying to have an intelligent conversation with them!

Old 12-21-2013, 07:01 AM

361 posts, read 725,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
They're dummies, with a narrow and probably misogynistic frame of reference. Be grateful; with just the first sentence, they told you they're not worth wasting any of your time trying to have an intelligent conversation with them!
Wow maybe I should've specify the settings...I work at a bank and I see all kinds of people everyday and they will usually mention the necklace during our small talk; so the comment isn't made in a condescending manner. I'm usually left speechless because I don't know how to respond to that, when I'm in the middle of selling them something.
The "somebody's lucky" comment was also made by another guy I recently came across at the metro station.

Yellowbelle- thinking about it, this could very well be reason; because it's mostly coming from the males.

I just find it interesting that nobody else has experienced this.

Old 12-21-2013, 07:08 AM

29,744 posts, read 34,383,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowbelle View Post
Or maybe they are flirting?
Yeah, they may just be fishing for you to say, "oh, I don't have a boyfriend," and then it's a go.

Old 12-21-2013, 04:15 PM

9 posts, read 17,004 times
This sounds like an older lady thing to say, I can hear it in my mother's voice. She's just trying to make conversation during an awkward silence. I wouldn't make anything of it.

Old 12-21-2013, 06:08 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,889,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamboyante View Post
Girl, they are flirting with you to find out if there really is a boyfriend.

Old 12-21-2013, 07:12 PM

11,127 posts, read 9,756,639 times
They're fishing to see if you have a boyfriend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships