Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 03:04 PM

1,858 posts, read 3,108,919 times

Advertisements

Okay, I need a sanity check:

Recently, my son and his GF had a baby. When they took the mom to her room, I noticed a white board in the room that included essential information like the name of the on duty nurse, the assigned patient care technician, her level of pain/discomfort, etc. The board also included the baby's name, and a line for "Support Person," which had my son's name written beside it. Okay, I have a problem with that. He's not a "Support Person," he's the father. Have we reached a point in our society that we have become so "politically correct," (btw, I absolutely detest that term) that we no longer acknowledge the role of the father? I understand that there are many non-traditional families, and often the father is absent. But, when did we make that the default familial structure?

Now, some might say, "what's the big deal." It was just some words on a White Board, to which I would say, if it wasn't a big deal, why did they feel the need to change the title from father (which was once the commonly accepted term) to "support person." To me, these are two entirely different roles/functions. The "Support Person" is there primarily for the benefit of the mother and is clearly in a subordinate role, their function is usually temporary, and they have limited authority. The father on the other hand, has an equal biological/legal connection as the mother, his function is permanent, and his input is authoritative (as opposed to having no legal voice). Even if the purpose of the board is purely informational, wouldn't the distinction between whether someone is there as a "support person" or "parent" be important?

Most importantly, it reinforces the denigration of a very important role in our society. is it any wonder that we see more men failing to step up to their responsibilities, when subtle messages like this are constantly reinforced. Why not celebrate the positive models of fatherhood, rather than accept the negative ones as the new norm?

I acknowledge I have my own issues/biases around this topic, so I'm curious as to whether others see this as a valid issue, or if its much to do about nothing? If you think it is an important issue, what would you do/have done?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2014, 03:08 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,221,058 times
The father could be absent due to being out of town or other legit reasons. The support person could be the sister, the mother, or even you. I do think you are reading way too much into this. Support Person also refers to anyone who assisted with the delivery like a friend, or relative other than the husband and again, for legit reasons he may not have been present.

Old 01-02-2014, 03:09 PM

22,641 posts, read 47,805,311 times
Not a biggie.
What is she named her mom her support person? Would you be equally upset about that?
How about if it was her best friend?

The father is still the father, but not all fathers are support people.

Old 01-02-2014, 03:13 PM

1,961 posts, read 4,390,723 times
I don't see it as a big deal. What if the support person changed over the course of the stay. Its not being PC, its just being neutral. What if the birth father is MIA? What if the father is deployed? What if the father is off on work duty and mom went into labor unexpectedly. So so many variables here

Old 01-02-2014, 03:15 PM

1,961 posts, read 4,390,723 times
Oh and to answer this question:
"wouldn't the distinction between whether someone is there as a "support person" or "parent" be important?"

IN a hospital stay after the birth? not really. the purpose of the white board is so the nurses and support staff know who to address when the mother and "support person" are in the room.

Old 01-02-2014, 03:28 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,074,140 times
Yes, much ado about nothing.

As others have pointed about, this is not about political correctness. The hospital means something very specific when they say "support person," and it's not a substitute for "father."

Old 01-02-2014, 03:32 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,775,977 times
Yes I think you are making much ado about nothing.

In fact, as long as you are being traditionalist, why not make the default "husband"?

Oh but your son is not the husband. Oops.

See how that works?

Old 01-02-2014, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Yes I think you are making much ado about nothing.

In fact, as long as you are being traditionalist, why not make the default "husband"?

Oh but your son is not the husband. Oops.

See how that works?
Does that make the mother less a mom, since she's not married either? Hmm

Old 01-02-2014, 03:41 PM

22,641 posts, read 47,805,311 times
No... she is still a mom. But she is not a wife.

Old 01-02-2014, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
No... she is still a mom. But she is not a wife.
You made my point exactly. I guess I'm not sure of the point you were trying to make in relation to Zentrop'a response.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships