Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 12:09 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,651,677 times

Advertisements

Over Christmas I saw some relatives I hadn't seen in a decade. One relative, who is in her 70s, kept asking me the nosiest questions about things that I did not want to share, certainly with an entire group of people staring at me --- questions about my financial status, or a my personal life.

A few times I was able to divert the questions, and I resorted to "If I told you I'd have to kill you." (which she should have understood given that her son was in the military!) And then I responded, "Well that's nobody's business...(hint hint.) But she kept asking these privacy-invading questions.

Has anyone come up with a good, polite way to deflect questions like this without being rude? Otherwise I like this lady and I wouldn't want to alienate any of my relatives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2014, 12:22 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,189,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
Over Christmas I saw some relatives I hadn't seen in a decade. One relative, who is in her 70s, kept asking me the nosiest questions about things that I did not want to share, certainly with an entire group of people staring at me --- questions about my financial status, or a my personal life.

A few times I was able to divert the questions, and I resorted to "If I told you I'd have to kill you." (which she should have understood given that her son was in the military!) And then I responded, "Well that's nobody's business...(hint hint.) But she kept asking these privacy-invading questions.

Has anyone come up with a good, polite way to deflect questions like this without being rude? Otherwise I like this lady and I wouldn't want to alienate any of my relatives.
Is she a relative? A simple smile and a "It's all good, nothing for you to worry about grandma (or Aunt Jane)." And go about your business, leave the room or turn to another person and immediately ask them a question about some fluff, "So, did you get the car you wanted Uncle Chuck?"

This has always been the most polite and effective way to get someone to stop harping questions at you and quickly change the topic off of you, or in a way ignoring what they are saying by not pausing between what you say to them, "It's all good" "So, did you get the car you wanted, Uncle Chuck?"

Things like, "it's nobody's business" is putting you in a defensive position and will only invite more of the same. Give as little detail as possible and that you are not bothered. My mother had a saying she used sometimes, "Less said, best said."

Old 01-09-2014, 12:24 PM

912 posts, read 1,525,325 times
Ah, nothing says "Merry Christmas!" like overly invasive personal questions from relatives you barely see. I have some experience here myself.

It depends on the question. If it's a question I feel comfortable sharing a general answer without going into specifics, I share what I feel comfortable with sharing then immediately (before additional probing questions are asked), either ask them a question of my own or excuse myself to the restroom/freshen my drink/go scream into a pillow, whatever seems appropriate for the situation.

If it's a question I don't even feel comfortable sharing a general/vague answer, I smile, laugh a little and say "Oh, I don't think this is the time to get into all of that boring stuff about me!" then go back to my diversion as shared above.

MOST people understand these cues for what they are. However, there always is that one relative who just doesn't get it. I have had to answer directly, but politely, "I'm sorry, I'm just not comfortable discussing that right now, but everything's fine." and then I try to bring up a new topic.

Old 01-09-2014, 12:28 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,204,354 times
"Why do you ask?"

"Just curious."

"Oh. Hey, how about that cold snap? Single-digit temperatures in Georgia! Who'd have thunk it?"

You are not obliged to answer any questions. Ignore them long enough and they will stop asking.

Old 01-09-2014, 12:31 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Tell her everything is the way you like it and change the topic or go get something to snack on or drink. Ask her if she would like a refill on whatever she is drinking, can you get her dessert or ask her about a favorite dish that she used to prepare and could you get the recipe.

Old 01-09-2014, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
Is she a relative? A simple smile and a "It's all good, nothing for you to worry about grandma (or Aunt Jane)." And go about your business, leave the room or turn to another person and immediately ask them a question about some fluff, "So, did you get the car you wanted Uncle Chuck?"

This has always been the most polite and effective way to get someone to stop harping questions at you and quickly change the topic off of you, or in a way ignoring what they are saying by not pausing between what you say to them, "It's all good" "So, did you get the car you wanted, Uncle Chuck?"

Things like, "it's nobody's business" is putting you in a defensive position and will only invite more of the same. Give as little detail as possible and that you are not bothered. My mother had a saying she used sometimes, "Less said, best said."
thanx for your reply. good advice.

"less said, best said" --- I love that !

Old 01-09-2014, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatswanlady View Post
Ah, nothing says "Merry Christmas!" like overly invasive personal questions from relatives you barely see. I have some experience here myself.

It depends on the question. If it's a question I feel comfortable sharing a general answer without going into specifics, I share what I feel comfortable with sharing then immediately (before additional probing questions are asked), either ask them a question of my own or excuse myself to the restroom/freshen my drink/go scream into a pillow, whatever seems appropriate for the situation.

If it's a question I don't even feel comfortable sharing a general/vague answer, I smile, laugh a little and say "Oh, I don't think this is the time to get into all of that boring stuff about me!" then go back to my diversion as shared above.

MOST people understand these cues for what they are. However, there always is that one relative who just doesn't get it. I have had to answer directly, but politely, "I'm sorry, I'm just not comfortable discussing that right now, but everything's fine." and then I try to bring up a new topic.
I'm going to practice that response---and I also like the idea of offering to go refresh her drink. thanx!

Old 01-09-2014, 12:41 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,189,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
"Why do you ask?"

"Just curious."

"Oh. Hey, how about that cold snap? Single-digit temperatures in Georgia! Who'd have thunk it?"

You are not obliged to answer any questions. Ignore them long enough and they will stop asking.
The bolded one gave me chills in that it could invite more embarrassing statement by grandma or whoever she is. "Why do you ask?" "Well your mother told me that you needed to borrow money from her last month and what about that boy you were seeing, Randy was it? I heard he left you, so what did you do to ruin that relationship..." and on and on and on. It may not be those exact questions, but you see what I'm saying here.

Old 01-09-2014, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Tell her everything is the way you like it and change the topic or go get something to snack on or drink. Ask her if she would like a refill on whatever she is drinking, can you get her dessert or ask her about a favorite dish that she used to prepare and could you get the recipe.
These are all good suggestions. Diversion and change of topic. Or maybe I should just smile blankly and pointedly at her and not say a word...heh heh.

Old 01-09-2014, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
The bolded one gave me chills in that it could invite more embarrassing statement by grandma or whoever she is. "Why do you ask?" "Well your mother told me that you needed to borrow money from her last month and what about that boy you were seeing, Randy was it? I heard he left you, so what did you do to ruin that relationship..." and on and on and on. It may not be those exact questions, but you see what I'm saying here.
The questions were very much along those lines, all sensitive topics: like an estrangement between my older sister and I, and my finances...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships