Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 10:52 AM

39 posts, read 35,471 times

Advertisements

I've just spoken with my brothers and mentioned my worries. They thought my questions make no sense and that my father can only be our father.

I reminded them how they were the ones who talked about our parents not getting along before I was born and my eldest said "It only takes one time to get pregnant."

Still, I asked them if they would agree to take a DNA test with me. They said it was ridiculous but if it gave me peace of mind, they are okay with it.

We will go to the lab this week and be done with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2014, 10:56 AM

45,578 posts, read 60,936,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarfonLad View Post
I've just spoken with my brothers and mentioned my worries. They thought my questions make no sense and that my father can only be our father.

I reminded them how they were the ones who talked about our parents not getting along before I was born and my eldest said "It only takes one time to get pregnant."

Still, I asked them if they would agree to take a DNA test with me. They said it was ridiculous but if it gave me peace of mind, they are okay with it.

We will go to the lab this week and be done with it.
Man, this ended with a whimper and not a bang. Imagine that.

Old 01-12-2014, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
If you are so adamant about easing your doubts then act like an adult and approach your parents and tell them you want a paternity test because your brothers have told you that he is not your biological father.

If you cannot do that then you are either very immature or don't really want to ease your doubts.
So make your choice and quit making excuses as to why you can't get this done.
I can't ask either of them for different reasons and I've explained them.

Old 01-12-2014, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beera View Post
You don't even have to tell him, order the paternity test you can do at home, wait until he's done drinking something, then swab JUST the areas he drank (mouth of the bottle, rim of the cup), with ONE swab that you SLIGHTLY dampen with some water, take a swab of your cheek on another swab, send the two swabs in. BAM that's all you need.

I worked in forensics 4 years, that's why when a cop offers you a drink you don't drink it! he'll use the cup for your prints and DNA :P
I prefer to do it through my brothers because they have full knowledge of what they're doing. What you describe sounds like backstabbing in my book. I wouldn't like to do something behind his back using his DNA. Doesn't seem right.

Old 01-12-2014, 11:08 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,242,201 times
Quote:
I prefer to do it through my brothers because they have full knowledge of what they're doing. What you describe sounds like backstabbing in my book. I wouldn't like to do something behind his back using his DNA. Doesn't seem right.

Actually, make sure the type of lab you are going to, can in fact do this with your brothers. I only said there are tests which can be done using your brothers, not all labs do it this way.

Secondly, you are already going behind his back and instead of involving 3 or 4 people, you now have only involved one, not even one since he won't know.

Old 01-12-2014, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I think you need to ask yourself why this is so important to you? Why do feel you are not his son? Why do you want to feel that you are not his son? If there is a strong resemblance between you, your brothers and your dad, you need to accept that you are your dad's son.
It's important to me because the question keeps coming up even if others tell me it's unlikely. So there's no better way to put my mind at ease than through a DNA test. Of course he'll always be my father even if the test says he's not.

It's not that I feel I'm not his son, I just keep thinking about the circumstances in which I may have been born. Besides, I've always noticed my father doesn't take me as seriously as he does with my brothers (I don't know if that might have something to do with our age gap, I'm 22 and he's 66).

Old 01-12-2014, 11:16 AM

Quote:
It's important to me because the question keeps coming up even if others tell me it's unlikely. So there's no better way to put my mind at ease than through a DNA test. Of course he'll always be my father even if the test says he's not.

It's not that I feel I'm not his son, I just keep thinking about the circumstances in which I may have been born. Besides, I've always noticed my father doesn't take me as seriously as he does with my brothers (I don't know if that might have something to do with our age gap, I'm 22 and he's 66).
After reading this thread I can't imagine why not.

Old 01-12-2014, 11:17 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,096,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
After reading this thread I can't imagine why not.
LOL......that was exactly what I was thinking!

Old 01-12-2014, 11:19 AM

It might be funny to you but it's certainly an important issue to me. If you weren't sure about who your biological father is, I doubt you think it's funny.

Old 01-12-2014, 11:23 AM

Quote:
It might be funny to you but it's certainly an important issue to me. If you weren't sure about who your biological father is, I doubt you think it's funny.

I'll pretend that this is a reality based thread:

The only reason you doubt your paternity is because you don't like your father, for whatever reason. It may be because your older brothers have a closer, more mature relationship, with him or for reasons known only to yourself. Some them are evident in your thread, by the way.

If you think your father doesn't have an idea you harbor these feelings/ideas then think again. In your mind he may be "old" but I doubt that he's stupid. He's also fed, housed and clothed you for 22 years (I doubt you're out on your own) and continues to do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships