Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2014, 08:35 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,507,029 times

Advertisements

I would give her actual ultimatums this time. Merely suggesting counseling won't work; you've already tried it. Make an appointment without talking to her about it first. Say "I made an appointment with a counselor today at 10 am. If you don't go, I will sleep in the guest room/on the couch tonight." Then follow through if she refuses to go. You can escalate the "consequences" up to and including actually filing for divorce. Personally I think she could use individual counseling, but if you want to do marital or family counseling, that's better than nothing.

I would also say "You have 6 months to find a job" and follow through with consequences if she doesn't do that as well.

Old 02-12-2014, 08:52 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,269,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
I would give her actual ultimatums this time. Merely suggesting counseling won't work; you've already tried it. Make an appointment without talking to her about it first. Say "I made an appointment with a counselor today at 10 am. If you don't go, I will sleep in the guest room/on the couch tonight." Then follow through if she refuses to go. You can escalate the "consequences" up to and including actually filing for divorce. Personally I think she could use individual counseling, but if you want to do marital or family counseling, that's better than nothing.

I would also say "You have 6 months to find a job" and follow through with consequences if she doesn't do that as well.
I don't really think he should give an ultimatum about the job. The fact that she contributes nothing should be brought up with the therapist and the therapist should help them find common ground on that subject. If they don't need the money, she doesn't really need a job. She does need to contribute something to the household and the marriage, though, and it should be something she is agreeable to doing.

Old 02-12-2014, 09:43 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,507,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
I don't really think he should give an ultimatum about the job. The fact that she contributes nothing should be brought up with the therapist and the therapist should help them find common ground on that subject. If they don't need the money, she doesn't really need a job. She does need to contribute something to the household and the marriage, though, and it should be something she is agreeable to doing.
I sort of agree. However, I suggested forcing her to get a job not because she needs to get one to contribute but because she acts as if work is beneath her and she is entitled to never work again.

Old 02-13-2014, 02:56 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,586,155 times
OP, have her read this topic, maybe that'll help knock some sense into her!

Old 02-13-2014, 03:09 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,698,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishfan77 View Post
She views waitressing, most likely, as beneath her now and as a demeaning job. Back then, she had to, I was barely making any money and she had to pitch in. Now that there's money. Why waitress?
Waitressing is beneath your wife? I didn't realize you were married to the Dutchess of York! Or is she the Dutchess of Cambridge?

Oh please! Get off YOUR high horse! She hasn't worked in years. What is qualified to do? She's not going to be a CPA overnight.

Who did and entitled your wife? She's young. She'll get over it. She needs to get over herself as do you. She's certainly young enough to work. She also needs to check on her Social Security credits. You don't work, you don't collect!

She's sort of raised a kid. How about day care? Nanny service? Or is that beneath the Dutchess?

I'm going to be VERY blunt. YOU need to grow up! Take off your onesie and pull-ups. Put your big boy pants on. **** or get off the pot. It's time. You've whined and bellyached on here for long enough. Man up and change YOUR situation. If YOU refuse to change YOUR life, then shut up already! You clearly do NOT want to change anything or else you would have and you wouldn't have the need to come on here and post whoa is me every few days. Save the drama for General Hospital. Grow some balls and a backbone would you already.

Old 02-13-2014, 04:07 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,586,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Waitressing is beneath your wife? I didn't realize you were married to the Dutchess of York! Or is she the Dutchess of Cambridge?

Oh please! Get off YOUR high horse! She hasn't worked in years. What is qualified to do? She's not going to be a CPA overnight.

Who did and entitled your wife? She's young. She'll get over it. She needs to get over herself as do you. She's certainly young enough to work. She also needs to check on her Social Security credits. You don't work, you don't collect!

She's sort of raised a kid. How about day care? Nanny service? Or is that beneath the Dutchess?

I'm going to be VERY blunt. YOU need to grow up! Take off your onesie and pull-ups. Put your big boy pants on. **** or get off the pot. It's time. You've whined and bellyached on here for long enough. Man up and change YOUR situation. If YOU refuse to change YOUR life, then shut up already! You clearly do NOT want to change anything or else you would have and you wouldn't have the need to come on here and post whoa is me every few days. Save the drama for General Hospital. Grow some balls and a backbone would you already.
Perhaps that's why they stay together. Physically they may both be 37 but mentally they're both more like 16! Though I've seen 16 year olds that are more responsible than them. Heck, my daughter had a waitressing job at 16 for a year.

Old 02-13-2014, 07:06 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,698,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceAndLove42 View Post
Perhaps that's why they stay together. Physically they may both be 37 but mentally they're both more like 16! Though I've seen 16 year olds that are more responsible than them. Heck, my daughter had a waitressing job at 16 for a year.
I know many teenagers and 20 somethings far more mature and responsible than these two. They also whine much less.

Old 02-15-2014, 02:34 PM

818 posts, read 859,216 times
Valentine's day was nice. Trying to find an, and I know there's no easy way with her, easy and nice way to tell her to get a job or start contributing to the housework. Sure her rebuttal will be . " Are we broke"? Or " I'm not your slave". This'll hard but necessary.

Old 02-15-2014, 03:02 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,915,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post

The OP has already done "actual" ultimatums-- the problem lies in the fact that he never carries it out throughly. As per the previous thread, he went as far as to set an appointment with a divorce lawyer (with his wife's knowledge)... He never did clarify and ignores any questions asking if he actually went. So the issue became moot as it became very clear the OP isn't looking for any actual change that he has to help create.

I don't think the wife getting a job is the correct solution and he didn't help his case by telling her recently that if she didn't want a job, then she didn't have to. He needs to be pushing for therapy -- but notice he's not even trying to push for that. Him taking the task of pushing for her getting a job or "contributing" to the empty household (as the son was living in the pool house, away from Mom) is a nonstarter. He knows that, which is why he's doing it.

Old 02-15-2014, 03:42 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,247,088 times
Is the whole posting exercise just a way to get attention? OP must feel pretty inconsequential to do that. Any attention - even from strangers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships