Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 06:20 PM

577 posts, read 1,001,884 times

Advertisements

Did everyone cut you off because you wouldn't give money (or any more money) to your sisters? Or did they all ask you for money at some point?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2014, 06:58 PM

26,022 posts, read 22,214,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
I asked her if she had any credit cards and she said yes. I said why don't you write yourself a credit card convenience check? Or go to an ATM and get a cash advance.

Use of Credit Card Convenience Checks | eHow

I sent her this link in an email and never got a reply.

Wouldn't that be a better route than having a brother you have no relationship with lend you money?
Well, if my brother loaned a sister $5,000 and she didn't pay it back, well, I'd only be asking for $2,000 this time. Free money? If I thought I could shake someone down for free money, it wouldn't matter what the relationship was.

I was shocked by a friend that said her brother was "rich" and didn't share with her. She is married and has grown children. Ah, I didn't really get that.

My husband had to tell his sister that we would not be loaning them money. He didn't like doing it but it would have been a hardship for his immediate family and I didn't go without, buy at thrift shops and be frugal, frugal, frugal so that she would have money available for her. Years later she was planning a "visit" to see just my husband and his cousin (probably losing their house now - cost 3 times what ours did). I had him email her and well, word it to let her know that we would not be in a position to pay someone's bills other than our own. This was about a year ago and we haven't heard from her since!

Old 06-13-2014, 05:58 AM

1,480 posts, read 2,800,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msdmoney View Post
Did everyone cut you off because you wouldn't give money (or any more money) to your sisters? Or did they all ask you for money at some point?
Yes, my immediate family will not talk to me because they see me as rich and I won't help my other brothers and sisters with their money troubles. This latest situation is just one of many requests for money from both my parents and siblings.

Old 06-13-2014, 06:04 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,287,768 times
Quote:
Yes, my immediate family will not talk to me because they see me as rich and I won't help my other brothers and sisters with their money troubles. This latest situation is just one of many requests for money from both my parents and siblings.
I'm guessing that's not the only reason.

Old 06-13-2014, 06:44 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,223,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Judging from the sheer volume of threads related to your issues with your family it sounds as though you don't like any of them and are ever-critical of them while they in turn get along with each other just fine.
I noticed this, too. In fact, I wonder why the OP even wants to be in the good graces of people he so obviously holds in contempt.

Old 06-13-2014, 07:11 AM

8,086 posts, read 10,107,307 times
Three thoughts:

If you provide the money consider it a gift; you will never get repaid.

If you provide the money, there will be additional requests.

It is really sick to think that proving a loan/gift to a family member is going to change a relationship. It won't. If anything, it will make it even more difficult.

My advice? Just say no. "I have worked hard and lived frugally in order to provide for my and the Mrs' retirement. I am not in a position to provide a loan."

Old 06-13-2014, 08:10 AM

1,480 posts, read 2,800,115 times
I am thinking about lending the money after we all meet with a credit counselor and I get a copy of the credit report to see what her financial situation is. If she is overdue with other creditors then I won't give her a dime.

Old 06-13-2014, 08:34 AM

1,723 posts, read 4,103,375 times
Quote:
I am thinking about lending the money after we all meet with a credit counselor and I get a copy of the credit report to see what her financial situation is. If she is overdue with other creditors then I won't give her a dime.
and that will accomplish absolutely nothing. Good credit, bad credit doesn't make a difference. It's not a guarantee that she will pay you back anyway.

Old 06-13-2014, 09:13 AM

9,053 posts, read 17,221,230 times
Quote:
All that is going to do is further bad feelings. You are going to make her air out all of her dirty financial laundry and then refuse (because you know darn well she is past due to creditors). She will look at that as your chance to make her feel small. Incredibly small-minded of you. Just say no to the loan and leave it at that. You don't have to go for further humiliation of your sister. Yeah, she's bad at money. Yeah, you don't owe her anything and should not pay to be in the family. No, you don't have to use it as an opportunity for condescension.

Old 06-13-2014, 09:23 AM

11,196 posts, read 9,809,257 times
Quote:
Of course she's overdue/maxed out with her other creditors. Why else would she be coming to you? When you asked if she had credit cards, she said yes....do you really think she doesn't know how to walk into a bank and ask for a cash advance? Did she say what the money was needed for? Probably to satisfy other creditors.

edited to add: When she asked for a loan at the end of the call, I would have said "Ahhhh, okay now I see why you've called me for the first time in X years". Really how insulting to only be called when they need money. At least you know what they care about, your money, not you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships