Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2014, 12:16 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eazine View Post
I've got a friend and everytime I invite her out she invites her husband along. Now I get along with her husband just fine, however I'd prefer time alone with my friend. So recently I invited her out to something I normally enjoy by myself, but wanted to share with her. I assumed, wrongly, that it would be very unlikely for him to attend (I have gear for only two). Heck, I didn't even invite my husband along!

After asking her I get a email back letting me know that she'd like to come and her husband is coming along, hope that's okay. Now I'm bummed. I can't say "no" because he wants to come and it would hurt our friendship - am I crazy or is this rude?
Time to quit wimping out and speak up

Your friend isn't likely intending to be rude, but she is being very inconsiderate.

Unless you call her on it she'll never get it on her own.

Write back and tell here the truth, gently and as nicely as possible of course
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2014, 12:43 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,768,929 times
You don't know, what the home life and marriage relationship of the girl friend. There are many couples, that if they go out, want to go out as a couple. You don't know if in the past, going out alone has caused problems in the couples relationship. They may have relationship reasons, that it is couples only now.

You know what the girlfriend is going to do, and does not want girl's nights out. The best thing is to accept the fact that she wants couples only events, and give up trying to separate her from her husband.

Old 07-19-2014, 01:53 PM

51,654 posts, read 25,828,130 times
Quote:
\ when I was speaking with another friend about possibly getting together to do this activity she overheard, inserted herself and asked when "we" were going.
So she invited herself to this activity and then hauled her honey along?

Old 07-19-2014, 03:11 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,321,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
... That kind of put up a red flag to me that this lady doesn't like doing things without her hubby or he feels left out or he is big into inserting himself into HER get togethers ...
That was my reaction. I've had several women friends who married men who don't seem comfortable "allowing" their wives to have an outside life they aren't a part of. Even a woman I considered to be a serious feminist got married and suddenly has to have hubby a part of everything she does. And, honestly, I don't think she was the instigator of that but she goes along with his possessiveness because she loves him and wants to hold on to him. Personally, I couldn't love anyone who would have me in a yoke, but I'm not everyone. It's hard for friendships between women to survive that level of repression, so I'd suggest the OP address this directly with her friend or prepare for the relationship to devolve into "wives who are married to a couple of guys who do things together."

Old 07-19-2014, 10:37 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,690,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
So she invited herself to this activity and then hauled her honey along?
I'd say she showed a lot of interest in going, but I invited her.

Old 07-19-2014, 10:42 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,690,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
Personally, I couldn't love anyone who would have me in a yoke, but I'm not everyone.
Yes, I don't believe "I got it" before because the mindset is so alien to me. I'm not saying it's bad or wrong, just different. I love my husband but I don't do everything with him, which works for us. I'm good in groups but I tend to be very introverted and like a lot of alone time or one on one time over groups.

Old 07-19-2014, 11:00 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,377,781 times
Is he an abuser or control freak? A woman who brings her husband along on every outing with her female friends seems like someone who is being controlled.

Old 07-20-2014, 12:37 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,303,143 times
Quote:
I've got a friend and everytime I invite her out she invites her husband along. Now I get along with her husband just fine, however I'd prefer time alone with my friend. So recently I invited her out to something I normally enjoy by myself, but wanted to share with her. I assumed, wrongly, that it would be very unlikely for him to attend (I have gear for only two). Heck, I didn't even invite my husband along!

After asking her I get a email back letting me know that she'd like to come and her husband is coming along, hope that's okay. Now I'm bummed. I can't say "no" because he wants to come and it would hurt our friendship - am I crazy or is this rude?
Okay, now this would really, really -iss me off in no time! She could be tied at the hip with her husband, or feel guilty at leaving him behind. But, nevertheless, there is a humongous lack of consideration from your friend. Or perhaps her husband is one of those oppressive types who doesn't want his wife having a life separate from his (and one of my friends was married to a creep like this).

In my small circle of friends, we have NEVER included husbands in anything. Ever. So it's hard for me to fathom something like this.

Old 07-20-2014, 01:45 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
There's a 3rd and a 4th:

He doesn't trust her out without his supervision.
He doesn't like the OP hanging out with his wife.

These might be interconnected.

or he is a control freak, and needs to dominate most parts of her life, and feels threatened, if she's out with the girls

if he treats her like a dog,,,this is a symptom

in the future,,,tell her its a girls only event,,,,most guys don't even want to be around this stuff.

who would want to be the only guy there on "girls night out" unless he is trying to bed the other wives? I don't get it.....

unless he is an insecure control freak

Old 07-20-2014, 07:40 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
Yea, I had a (now former) friend who had a mentality that she and her boyfriend were a complete package deal and had to be together always. And the guy was not only a jerk but he was a moping victim of other people's "slight". If people didn't acknowledged him the right way, a meltdown would ensue. If they didn't agree with his opinion (which were usually stupid anyways), meltdown. If they didnt share or accept the 25 cent for the cig, meltdown. He just a rather high maintenance, high strung, controlling, ornery type of guy... Very difficult to get along with. I watched my friend lose her friends and she just couldn't comprehend WHY she was dropping friends like flies. Even when I pointed out to her how invitations were worded:

"Ok, A, fine he can come."
Then that slowly became "Ok A, but he has to promise to be on his best behavior. "
Then became "Ok, A, but you gotta tell R to knock it off, we don't want drama."
Then it became "A... YOU are invited, but he cannot come!" (Oh, he showed up anyway--Package deal)
Then that became "Well, A we didn't invite you because we don't.want.drama."

ya Dumdum still didn't get it.

OP, I don't know if this applies to you... but if saying "Oh this is misunderstanding, it's only us." would serve to hurt the friendship... Is the friendship worth having?
Guys like that can be really scary. When women finally get tired of their controlling crap, they sometimes end up being stalkers, and that can end up very badly for the woman Even if OP doesn't want to do things with the friend anymore, she should monitor this situation to make sure the friend is safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships