Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 05:59 PM

4,239 posts, read 4,498,447 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the laugh this is hilarious thread. Having been someone who's occasionally gone for the 'ride' by either forgetting to hit the button or not having pressed the button hard enough this is humorous. They didn't change directions, you never selected yours!

Elevator control logic is to respond in sequence to the buttons pressed and to respond to requests for service. What happened to you is - as many have already explained - you either failed to press button or perhaps you did but not hard enough to actuate the signal. Subsequently, that elevator car responded to the next request (the person on the fourth floor) who upon entering (may have wondered why you did not get off) and then pressed his destination floor.

Gives me a great idea though... a la Stephen King's Christine about a Plymouth that becomes sentient, perhaps a novel about a sentient Elevator? In these days of smart technology it would be funny.

PS If this was in the relationship thread it would have been enhanced by Aerosmith's "Love In An Elevator"
'Livin it up when I'm going do-ow-ow-ow-owo-on' (the video may be a little too racy for CD crowd)

Old 07-23-2014, 06:47 PM

854 posts, read 1,143,736 times
I usually hit the fire alarm. Then tell everyone I can't read.

Old 07-23-2014, 07:01 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,257,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciceropolo View Post
Thanks for the laugh this is hilarious thread. Having been someone who's occasionally gone for the 'ride' by either forgetting to hit the button or not having pressed the button hard enough this is humorous. They didn't change directions, you never selected yours!

Elevator control logic is to respond in sequence to the buttons pressed and to respond to requests for service. What happened to you is - as many have already explained - you either failed to press button or perhaps you did but not hard enough to actuate the signal. Subsequently, that elevator car responded to the next request (the person on the fourth floor) who upon entering (may have wondered why you did not get off) and then pressed his destination floor.

Gives me a great idea though... a la Stephen King's Christine about a Plymouth that becomes sentient, perhaps a novel about a sentient Elevator? In these days of smart technology it would be funny.

PS If this was in the relationship thread it would have been enhanced by Aerosmith's "Love In An Elevator"
'Livin it up when I'm going do-ow-ow-ow-owo-on' (the video may be a little too racy for CD crowd)
Thanks for the laugh.

Old 07-23-2014, 07:12 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,567,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciceropolo View Post
Or a sequel to Her: Joaquin Phoenix's character, on the rebound from the OS that dumped him, falls in love with the elevator.

Old 07-23-2014, 10:11 PM

863 posts, read 1,200,577 times
In defense of the OP, it's possible that the person boarding had a key and used it to "call" the elevator. That would cancel out where ever the elevator was originally going. It would be a dick thing to do but it's possible.

Old 07-24-2014, 06:19 AM

223 posts, read 301,254 times
I agree that maybe when you pushed the button, it did not "take" or there is something wrong with the way the elevator is programmed. This has never happened to me. If I'm going up and someone jumps in and presses a "down" button, I usually say, "I'm going to the fifth floor"...or whatever. They usually reply, "Oh, well, I'll just ride along."

Old 07-24-2014, 06:31 AM

2,794 posts, read 2,943,036 times
Sometimes we all make a mistake in regards to elevators... I can't tell you how many times at my company that people get on the elevator without even looking up to see which direction it's going!

At any rate... if the direction of the elevator was already going up and your button was pressed then that's the stop it would have made first regardless if the other rider pressed a floor below you.

Old 07-24-2014, 10:18 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,425,868 times
Here is an issue with one of our buildings. We have a building with a bank of 3 elevators. The cars cover 7 levels, 2 of which are basement levels. Lets say that you want to go to the 5th floor and you enter a car on the 1st floor. You didn't look and it turns out that the car is going down. When you enter you push the button for the 5th floor and the car, because you didn't look, heads down to one of the two basement levels. When it gets to the bottom level the car clears all the floors that were chosen. What happens more than likely is someone enters the car from the basement level and pushes the button for the floor that they want to go to, lets say the 4th floor. The car now goes up stops at the 4th floor opens and now because it reset at the bottom it heads down because it does not know that someone wants to go up to the 5th floor. Someone else gets on and they push a button for the floor that they want to go to. You though get upset because the elevator does not seem to want to take you where you want to go. I think it also increases confusion on how elevators work.

I spoke with our Elevator rep yesterday afternoon and asked if any riders can cancel a floor by hitting a button a second time. He told me that they do not make elevators with that feature. Other than resetting as in the above example, cars will only go where they are asked to go.

Old 07-24-2014, 12:18 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,426,920 times
seems like you don't know how to operate an elevator, there are buttons on the wall

Old 07-24-2014, 07:11 PM

351 posts, read 695,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
You must have pushed the fourth floor button by accident. The elevator thought the trip had ended already.

Either that or you didn't push any button and it went to the fourth floor due to that person pushing the down button.

Irritating, but a minor issue.
I agree with this. Honest mistake. Inconvenient to you, but easy to fix. Make sure you press the correct button and then see if it happens again. THEN complain if it bothers you that much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships