Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 04:30 PM

774 posts, read 1,858,053 times

Advertisements

I moved into one of the most Conservative counties in North Carolina.
I wanted rural and being a friendly guy, I thought I could handle it. (No, I am NOT a Conservative.)

Nope.
I'm not only viewed as an "outsider," but as an, "Intruder."
That's several steps further.

I just turned 61 and I'm retired.
I am a single man who lives on ten acres.
  1. At my age I don't NEED sex for sex sake... and would rather do without if there's no emotional .. heart connection. I'm not, "dead" ... I just don't need empty sex like I used to.
  2. I've traveled. I'm "wordly." So... the things I like to talk about don't seem to interest the locals.
  3. They have a unique way of seeing things ... like when I enter wearing a smile and a clean shirt, some act as if I'm attacking them...
  4. There seems to be an anger here that especially visible amongst women. Big turn off.
  5. Some seem to be looking at you for what you can do for them. If nothing, then "I'm nothing."
  6. There's also a, "misery loves company" kind of vibe. Folks seem happy if they've pissed you off.
  7. And the driving style! Some people don't want to actually engage you in conversation, but they want you to see them? Especially while driving down the road at 60-70 mph. (I'm not going to have a moment with someone driving down the road at 60-70 mph. Just not going to happen.)

There's a few more items on the list, but on the average, I'm kind of giving up. I've met other transplants who say they've been here for years and have never adjusted. Others say they just don't mess with them.

I know I'm just in a stage ... or I hope so, but any suggestions when reading this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2014, 04:36 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,989,150 times
Well shoot. Why did you move someplace that is super conservative when you're not? Of course you'll be ostracized.

I think this might be more a retirement thread though. Lots of people retire down South from where I've lived for cost of living and climate, and they just can't take the culture and move back.

Old 07-24-2014, 04:39 PM

39,231 posts, read 27,623,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veganwriter View Post
I wanted rural and being a friendly guy, I thought I could handle it. (No, I am NOT a Conservative.)

Nope.

1. At my age I don't NEED sex for sex sake... and would rather do without if there's no emotional .. heart connection. I'm not, "dead" ... I just don't need empty sex like I used to.
  2. I've traveled. I'm "wordly." So... the things I like to talk about don't seem to interest the locals.
  3. They have a unique way of seeing things ... like when I enter wearing a smile and a clean shirt, some act as if I'm attacking them...
  4. There seems to be an anger here that especially visible amongst women. Big turn off.
  5. Some seem to be looking at you for what you can do for them. If nothing, then "I'm nothing."
  6. There's also a, "misery loves company" kind of vibe. Folks seem happy if they've pissed you off.
  7. And the driving style! Some people don't want to actually engage you in conversation, but they want you to see them? Especially while driving down the road at 60-70 mph. (I'm not going to have a moment with someone driving down the road at 60-70 mph. Just not going to happen.)

There's a few more items on the list, but on the average, I'm kind of giving up. I've met other transplants who say they've been here for years and have never adjusted. Others say they just don't mess with them.

I know I'm just in a stage ... or I hope so, but any suggestions when reading this?
Time to relocate.

Old 07-24-2014, 04:40 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,975,596 times
Quote:

Nope.

I replied to this in the Psychology forum.

This is what I said:

The South is full of transplants who wanted a "Walden" experience and can't get over it when they don't find it.

It's difficult to tell from your examples exactly what kinds of situations you're alluding to. Why did you start with sex, for example?

And where are these angry women you encounter?

As a lifelong southerner, I fully admit that when I hear a "Northern" accent, which means anywhere NOT southern, I brace myself just a little bit because after a lifetime of hearing insults about the South, I assume I will get one from that person, too.

Personally, I have never been impressed with Durham anyway. How long have you lived there?

Last edited by BirdieBelle; 07-24-2014 at 04:54 PM..

Old 07-24-2014, 04:43 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,372,399 times
Really? I used to live an hour and a half outside of Durham in a small town and I loved it. I had to go to Durham every once in a while but usually stayed in my town, Greeneville, or Rocky Mount.

I never felt that way. I actually felt like I was friends with so many people in town. You could just go to a neighbors house and sit on the front porch with them.

I would go to Ace Hardware and they knew me by name and were always wanting to help.

The owner had even opened it up for me before for a certain tool and told me to pay for it when I got a chance.....

I guess I was an outsider too, but I seemed to fit right in.

Old 07-24-2014, 04:46 PM

22,599 posts, read 47,698,122 times
Quote:

Nope.
Now that you know you cannot handle it, move!

Old 07-24-2014, 04:49 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,989,150 times
How much time have you given it? If it is less than a couple of years, it just might be wanting too much, too fast..

Old 07-24-2014, 04:51 PM

120 posts, read 118,246 times
Did you not check out the local culture before making such a big decision and investment? 10 acres? Wow.
But as long as you're there, how about reporting to us from Planet Rural SC? What are the local women angry about? What's everyone so uptight about? And what was it you wanted Dear Abby for? You don't seem to have a lovelorn question, except that you hate your location.

Old 07-24-2014, 04:54 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,620,994 times
Move or continue to be miserable. Leaving my hometown was the best decision I ever made.

Your environment is very important when it comes to finding love.

Sometimes you have to move to a place where there is more action and more acceptance.

Old 07-24-2014, 05:26 PM

7,081 posts, read 8,950,769 times
Move somewhere new, New York, New Jersey, New England.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships