Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 05:28 PM

120 posts, read 118,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
Move somewhere new, New York, New Jersey, New England.
Or Asheville. It wouldn't be as far a move, land would still be relatively affordable, and it's an alternative community there. It could be right up the OP's alley.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2014, 05:42 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,395,425 times
I can see moving South for employment opportunities, but to retire there?

No way! Big mistake!

Move.

Old 07-24-2014, 05:44 PM

33,387 posts, read 35,004,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veganwriter View Post
I moved into one of the most Conservative counties in North Carolina.
I wanted rural and being a friendly guy, I thought I could handle it. (No, I am NOT a Conservative.)

Nope.
I'm not only viewed as an "outsider," but as an, "Intruder."
That's several steps further.

I just turned 61 and I'm retired.
I am a single man who lives on ten acres.
  1. At my age I don't NEED sex for sex sake... and would rather do without if there's no emotional .. heart connection. I'm not, "dead" ... I just don't need empty sex like I used to.
  2. I've traveled. I'm "wordly." So... the things I like to talk about don't seem to interest the locals.
  3. They have a unique way of seeing things ... like when I enter wearing a smile and a clean shirt, some act as if I'm attacking them...
  4. There seems to be an anger here that especially visible amongst women. Big turn off.
  5. Some seem to be looking at you for what you can do for them. If nothing, then "I'm nothing."
  6. There's also a, "misery loves company" kind of vibe. Folks seem happy if they've pissed you off.
  7. And the driving style! Some people don't want to actually engage you in conversation, but they want you to see them? Especially while driving down the road at 60-70 mph. (I'm not going to have a moment with someone driving down the road at 60-70 mph. Just not going to happen.)

There's a few more items on the list, but on the average, I'm kind of giving up. I've met other transplants who say they've been here for years and have never adjusted. Others say they just don't mess with them.

I know I'm just in a stage ... or I hope so, but any suggestions when reading this?
i am betting that you moved from a big city to a small town, and that big city was someplace like new york, philly, pittsburg, etc. as such you ARE an outsider. being friendly isnt the problem, but what is a problem is most big city folks go into a small town, and almost immediately start making suggestions for changing the area.

how do i know this? i live in tucson, az. today a fairly large city, but when i was growing up it was a small city at best, but we held onto that small town attitude until fairly recently. when i started traveling to work in the national parks, i would go into the small towns, and not make any suggestions about changing the town. and it didnt matter if i went into jackson wy, tusyan, az, or luray virginia. i adapted to the surroundings, and did not try to adapt the surroundings to me.

i also assume by your screen name that you are a vegetarian. that is not really an issue in the south unless you make it one. and by the way, north carolina is rather famous for its pulled pork BBQ. you might try a bit of it once in a while if you want to get along there. just saying.

the southern lifestyle is one that is rather laid back in the smaller towns and rural areas, so dont rush anyone, dont try to change anything, and learn to get laid back yourself. i personally love the south which is why i can blend in nicely.

Old 07-24-2014, 05:47 PM

120 posts, read 118,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
I can see moving South for employment opportunities, but to retire there?

No way! Big mistake!

Move.
There's a buzz among retirees--they go where the land is cheapest, so they can stash more away for living expenses. So they go to places like Arkansas, Tennessee, and....the Carolinas. But the liberal ones, especially vegan, gravitate to Asheville. See, the OP was able to get 10 acres. (Albeit in a place he hates. ) He wouldn't have been able to do that in California, Washington, or NY. I think maybe he outsmarted himself.

Old 07-24-2014, 07:38 PM

19,888 posts, read 20,489,497 times
Durham is.. unique. Sounds like it's too late to move to Raleigh lol

Old 07-24-2014, 07:40 PM

44,252 posts, read 64,625,206 times
Move to The Friendly State.

Old 07-24-2014, 11:25 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,141,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
Durham is.. unique. Sounds like it's too late to move to Raleigh lol
LOL. Chapel Hill is a bit more liberal, and not too far off from Durham. What make you consider Durham OP? Just curious.

Old 07-24-2014, 11:27 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,748,741 times
Wait, you're a vegan who is liberal? Say it ain't so!

Old 07-24-2014, 11:34 PM

33,387 posts, read 35,004,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
Wait, you're a vegan who is liberal? Say it ain't so!
they actually come up from time to time.

Old 07-24-2014, 11:46 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,748,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
they actually come up from time to time.
rbohm, this is you. I'm the birdie on the top.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships