Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 10:07 AM

3,762 posts, read 5,423,246 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
I managed to get to the fourth floor from the first, so I obviously pressed something to put the elevator into motion.
The person on the 4th floor pressed something to get the elevator on the 4th floor. You were just along for the ride and likely never pressed any button.

Old 07-23-2014, 10:15 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,342,958 times
Quote:
I went out to my car to get my coat. I came back in on the first floor, going up to the fifth floor, and someone jumps in on the fourth floor, presses the first floor button, and I have to ride down then back up.

I don't think the guy knew I was going to the fifth, but does this annoy you?
He probably had no idea where you were going, other than down. The elevator also did not know where you were going. The guy on the 4th floor did not cause the problem. He wanted to go down and normally when an elevator arrives on a floor an indicator lets you know which way it is going. It came up and the indicator told the guy on 4th it was going down, that is why he jumped in. I have seen people hit the desired floor button but that button does not always light up letting them know it was pushed. It happens. I would guess thought that you finally got to the 5th floor?

Old 07-23-2014, 10:15 AM

3,339 posts, read 5,989,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nj21 View Post
I agree with this, although this can happen anywhere! Have you ever been on the subway!? They all crowd the doors to get on while the people getting off have to fight to get through.

In my office, we use a key card to access our floor and most likely the light never stays lit. Just recently it's started skipping my floor all together and going back down to "1" forcing me to use my keycard again and have to go all the way back up to "29". Very annoying.
True, it's awful on the CTA, less so on Metra. That always bugged me too, but at least on the train it makes some sense because there's a finite number of seats and decent places to stand, so everyone wants to try and secure one. I don't think there's really prime elevator standing space, and even if there is, the ride is so short, who cares?

BTW, if I had to deal with your key card issue I would lose it. I hate coming to work enough as it is, all those little frustrations really add up for me.... when I was young I thought a higher floor in an office building was cool. Now I realize it's just more wasted time in elevators. I wish I was on a much lower floor so I could just use the stairs.

Old 07-23-2014, 10:23 AM

755 posts, read 1,118,790 times
I think you got in, pushed the button but it didn't "take." Doors close and elevator waits for direction. Meanwhile, on the 4th floor, 4th floor fella pushes the "down" button, elevator goes up to get him and takes him back down. If you had pushed 5 and the elevator were traveling "up," it would not stop for someone who had pushed the down button and carry him back down until it had finished its "up" delivery. It can't. No how.

I have pushed the up button, had the down elevator stop on my floor anyway, and stepped on only to find it was going the wrong direction (my mistake). I don't know why in some buildings that will happen. But it won't change direction mid-trip. Not ever.

And I don't think you should worry quite so much about things like this, lol.

Old 07-23-2014, 10:26 AM

5,413 posts, read 6,705,034 times
Quote:
I went out to my car to get my coat. I came back in on the first floor, going up to the fifth floor, and someone jumps in on the fourth floor, presses the first floor button, and I have to ride down then back up.

That doesn't tend to be how elevators work. If that actually happened, then there is something wrong with the programming of that elevator.

In every elevator I've been in....what ever floor someone presses first it goes to that floor and than to any floors in the opposite direction that were pressed afterwards.

Old 07-23-2014, 10:28 AM

50,783 posts, read 36,474,703 times
This is due to the elevator and the way it's set up, had nothing to do with the guy and IMO he probably didn't even know when he pushed down his was going to take precedence. We have an elevator at my workplace that is like that, it just for some reason was set up to allow a certain direction top status. Everyone pushes the button for the floor they need when they get in an elevator, no one waits until everyone else is off first, that's silly. I'm sure he had no idea he was changing the direction, because most elevators aren't set up like that.

Old 07-23-2014, 10:32 AM

11,369 posts, read 9,282,640 times
5th floor button was not pushed.

Guy on 4th floor pushed button wanting to do down and that is what the elevator did.

Old 07-23-2014, 10:33 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,272,887 times
Quote:

He did nothing wrong. Either the elevator malfunctioned, or (more likely) you didn't fully push the button for your intended floor.

Old 07-23-2014, 10:35 AM

1,174 posts, read 2,513,985 times
Quote:

Let me get this straight... You forgot to push the button for the 5th floor and you're pizzed at someone for properly operating the elevator?

Old 07-23-2014, 10:39 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,077,804 times
How do I feel?

Dumb, for not pushing the button for my floor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships