Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2014, 12:13 PM

226 posts, read 615,070 times

Advertisements

Hi! I have dealt with a lot of emotional pain, from the age of 6. My grandfather would call me "fat" "ugly" "worthless" "stupid" "loser" etc. Then my brother was emotionally and physically abusive. He would say the same things as my grandfather, and he even said to me "You are better off dead". I never understood cause I thought if I did something wrong fine! But I was really trying to understand why my brother and my grandfather treated me this way. I help people a lot, I try to be there for people and I do a lot of favors for my family even after how they treated me. My dad insults me too, and my mom doesn't insult me, but she doesn't give my brother any consequences for what he does. Because of him and my grandfather, I have severely low self esteem, everything they said about me, I think it's true. They have damaged me and so has other members of my family, and for what reason? I am still trying to figure that out. By the way I am 21 years old my brother is 26.

So, my brother walks around acts likes he's so entitled. He walks around with this arrogant attitude, and he takes full on advantage of my parents. He's garbage, and my parents can't see that. I have respect for them, and I don't do the things he does yet they don't ever praise me, favor me, or even acknowledge the things I do. It hurts me a lot. If it wasn't for me, a lot of my family wouldn't even have their jobs. I had to ride them like clock work everyday to work, like I was their slave. I dropped whatever I had to do to help people that don't care about me.

My brother has a girlfriend in Canada. My dad said "Did you know that Leah is staying here?" I said "WHAT?!?!" We live in a small house. We have no room for another person, my mom didn't even know Leah was going to come down, my brother tells my dad and throws it on all of us the same day, that was seriously rude. He didn't even address my parents to see if that was ok to do. Then I figured I would put up with it, and then we all asked my brother "When is she going home?" He said "It could be 2 weeks, 2 months..I don't know we want to know what it feels like to live with each other" Then my brother was using up my parents car like 9 hours out of the day, and she was being a crude pig, etc. It was all building up, then I heard them having sex, and that was my breaking point. He wasn't suppose to have sex in the house. Considering that we all live here. That is just gross. I never had sex in my parent's house. Ever. Well it resulted into my brother getting physical with me, and then the cops were called his girlfriend comes running downstairs and says "She's crazy, she needs mental help" Then they put a 302 on me, and lied about it. So I had to turn myself in the mental hospital, the doctors laughed and said "Your brother just wasted our time" "Discharge her now" My parents didn't show one ounce of sympathy towards me through this whole thing.

My brother is still here, but his girlfriend went back up to Canada. He is going to live with her, and I was reassured that she will not step in this house ever again. Well my brother said to me "**** you, she's my girlfriend, if she wants to come in this house she can!!" I started crying and said "Mom you told me she wouldn't be here" My mom said "Your brother is leaving, let her come in to help him, you got what you wanted" What?!?! It makes me so sad to even type this. I can't believe my parents have so much disrespect for me. They shouldn't want her in the house after how the way she acted and helped with the fake 302, they should out of respect for me have her wait in the car and have my brother take his things out and have my dad help him. That makes me feel so betrayed and hurt. If anyone can comment please do. Sorry it's so long, I just feel like nobody cares for my feelings, and nobody cares at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2014, 12:19 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,253,841 times
Move out.

Old 08-03-2014, 12:29 PM

22,598 posts, read 47,698,122 times
You're 21.
Since you feel so disrespected, betrayed and hurt, move out.

Old 08-03-2014, 12:49 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,766,193 times
You're 21- move out. At 21, you're in charge of your life. If you don't like the way it is going, do something about it.

Move out- put a lot of distance between yourself and your family. Put up boundaries so that you control when, if and how much contact you have with any of them.

If the situation continues it's because you are permitting it to continue. Remember you can't control other people's behavior. You can control how you respond to it.

Get away from these people and get on with your life. Don't make excuses for living there.

Old 08-03-2014, 01:01 PM

226 posts, read 615,070 times
I am trying to move out. I am going to school full time, so it's hard for me. I have a crappy part time job, and it's hard for me to save the money enough for me to live off of, cause it's a crappy part time job. It's hard. If I could move out it already would've been done. I feel trapped in a way. I can't move out for probably another 6 months, cause I am not making much money, and I can't do a full time job, but I can wait till the semester is over so I can switch school to part time and get a full time job, then I will probably be able to move out and keep myself alive, there is no way I would be able to on this crappy part time job. I get $8.75 an hour 5 hours a day, 5 days a week, isn't going to cut it.

Old 08-03-2014, 01:58 PM

1,479 posts, read 1,310,719 times
I'm sorry you are dealing with this. Focus on your classes and future for now. You need to stop allowing yourself to be their whipping stone. You are not stupid they are. Confident people do not need to put others down, their name calling says more about them then you.

Old 08-03-2014, 02:09 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,652,324 times
I'm sorry your family is treating you this way. Please remember, your can't change the way people treat you, you can only change the way you choose to react toward them.

Old 08-03-2014, 03:35 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,740,695 times
Why do you voluntarily choose to live with people who treat you poorly?

Old 08-03-2014, 03:46 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,485,232 times
Find an abusive boyfriend and move in with him!

OR

Stop being a doormat...

Do what you gotta do to avoid living there....there's ALWAYS a way!

Old 08-03-2014, 05:58 PM

11,375 posts, read 9,289,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrunetteBabe1005 View Post
I am trying to move out. I am going to school full time, so it's hard for me. I have a crappy part time job, and it's hard for me to save the money enough for me to live off of, cause it's a crappy part time job. It's hard. If I could move out it already would've been done. I feel trapped in a way. I can't move out for probably another 6 months, cause I am not making much money, and I can't do a full time job, but I can wait till the semester is over so I can switch school to part time and get a full time job, then I will probably be able to move out and keep myself alive, there is no way I would be able to on this crappy part time job. I get $8.75 an hour 5 hours a day, 5 days a week, isn't going to cut it.
This may be unpopular but I'd put school on hold. If you can do that part-time then do it.

If you dislike your situation that much you need to get a better paying job and move out ASAP.

I moved out when I was 19 and wondered why I waited so long. You are long overdue to get out on your own and that is what I suggest you do, especially considering how unhappy you seem to be. You will likely have to settle for multiple housemates but being on your own will probably improve your current situation.

Best wishes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships