Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 09:35 PM

1 posts, read 3,009 times

Advertisements

I babysit my 8 mth old Grandbaby, and 2- other grand-babies. I watch the 8-mth old 5 days a week, and the other two at least 3 days a wk. Tha 8 mth old I get $50 a week and the other two $30 wk now. And I have no other income. I think I should be compensated for this because it's a lot of work and time. But I don't think that enough because some days I'm watching them up to 12 hrs a day. And they complain about the price which makes me mad because daycare or someone would charge you way more money. I love! My Grandbabies but time is money and you all have jobs. I want to talk to them but, don't wanna come across greedy. What should I say? I think they are taking advantage of me, and it's makes me so mad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2014, 10:01 PM

3,978 posts, read 4,573,459 times
$50 a week is low for taking care of an infant. It will be more like it if it's $200 a week.

The other two, depending on how old they are, should be a lot less than the infant.

How much money are your child and your in-law making? Are they well off enough to pay you more?

If you have no income, how do you pay your bills, food, internet, etc.?

Old 08-21-2014, 10:07 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda513 View Post
I babysit my 8 mth old Grandbaby, and 2- other grand-babies. I watch the 8-mth old 5 days a week, and the other two at least 3 days a wk. Tha 8 mth old I get $50 a week and the other two $30 wk now. And I have no other income. I think I should be compensated for this because it's a lot of work and time. But I don't think that enough because some days I'm watching them up to 12 hrs a day. And they complain about the price which makes me mad because daycare or someone would charge you way more money. I love! My Grandbabies but time is money and you all have jobs. I want to talk to them but, don't wanna come across greedy. What should I say? I think they are taking advantage of me, and it's makes me so mad.
Did you agree to that amount when you started babysitting these children?
If so then no one is taking advantage of the amount you agreed to.

Otherwise start looking for a job and give them a time frame when you will have employment outside of your home so they can start looking for day care elsewhere.

Old 08-22-2014, 03:50 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,473,825 times
Get some outside quotes on daycare to show them what it costs in the real world and renegotiate. But you should not be mad at anyone but youself. You agreed, perhaps with insufficient info, but you agreed to the terms. Nothing is fixed forever, so find out what the prevailing $$ amount is in your area for what you are doing and then decide what you need.

Be aware that you may lose them and have to get your income somewhere else. So negotiate with care. Not saying do not raise your value but if you try to get every penny, you may lose the kids to another daycare and the relationship with your kids.

Old 08-22-2014, 04:16 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,946,672 times
I have been babysitting two grands for more than a few years, with some time off for little illnesses like open-heart surgery and colon cancer. I started when they were infants, having just lost my job due to company Chapter 11. They are both now school-age and I only go sit with them for a few hours each week-day during the Summer.

No, I don't get paid. I DO get a week vacation at the beach every year, and lots of entertainment. Ever have a four year old read you the newspaper funnies?

I believe that we each have to make our own decisions re: pay vs. no pay. I also believe that if you are resentful that you aren't being paid enough for your services, that attitude will rub off on the Little Ones and that isn't good.

Why don't you try speaking to their parents, explaining that it's time to up the pay check. If that doesn't work, get licensed to operate a day care center and take care of stranger's babies - many people will be grateful to have reliable child-care, regardless of cost.

Old 08-22-2014, 05:01 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,132,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda513 View Post
There have been several threads on CD about grandparents and babysitting.

Grandparents and their financial situations vary dramatically, Some grandparents may be retired and have substantial savings or a large pension and babysit for free because the want to help and do not need the money. But, there have also been quite a few grandparents who have posted on here with heart breaking stories such as not being able to pay their rent or to buy food and their selfish children refuse to pay them to babysit because "grandparents should babysit for free."

Perhaps, check what local day care centers or private sitters/nannies charge in your area and discuss it openly with your adult children. Reasonable fees vary from city to city. Where my son lives infant care is a minimum of $600 per week, in my area it ranges from $300 to $400 a week,. I don't know where you live but $50, for up to 12 hours a day five days a week, is not reasonable compensation. That is only 83 cents an hour!

If babysitting for your grandchildren is your only source of income how do your adult children expect you to live on that little income? Or do they pay your other bills like pay your rent or mortgage or do they pay your utility bills or buy all of your groceries? If they do those things (which I suspect that they do not do) then it would be a different situation.

Be honest with them, tell them that you need adequate payment and give them a deadline or you will have to stop babysitting and get a real job that pays an actual salary. If you love children perhaps you can get a job at a day care center or as a real childcare provider. The pay isn't wonderful but it is certainly more than working a sixty hour week for $80 (if it is $30 for each child that is still only $110 a week).

IMHO, a grandparent is not greedy to want to paid enough that they can buy food and pay their bills.

Old 08-22-2014, 05:13 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,132,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker15 View Post
$50 a week is low for taking care of an infant. It will be more like it if it's $200 a week.

The other two, depending on how old they are, should be a lot less than the infant.

How much money are your child and your in-law making? Are they well off enough to pay you more?

If you have no income, how do you pay your bills, food, internet, etc.?
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post

Perhaps, check what local day care centers or private sitters/nannies charge in your area and discuss it openly with your adult children. Reasonable fees vary from city to city. Where my son lives infant care is a minimum of $600 per week, in my area it ranges from $300 to $400 a week.
This is why it is important to check out the current rates in your city. Apparently, in Quaker's city infant care can be found for $200 a week. You could never, ever find someplace/someone to care for an infant for that little in my city (unless it was a close friend or relative doing it as a favor). Infant care in my city usually is $300 to $400 a week and infant care is at least $600 a week in my son's city.

Last edited by germaine2626; 08-22-2014 at 05:50 AM..

Old 08-22-2014, 11:23 AM

1,458 posts, read 2,657,533 times
This all depends on what you told them you'd do at first, whether the kids will be in danger without you, and how on earth can anyone live on <$200 a month.

Old 08-22-2014, 11:26 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,642,088 times
Find an outside job, and inform them that you will not be able to watch the kids anymore because you have to go to work.

Or, if you need money to pay bills or whatever every month, just tell them what you need. They'll probably give it to you. If you just want more free time without kids because they are draining you, then that's another story.

Old 08-22-2014, 06:10 PM

8,144 posts, read 8,338,067 times
if you really need the income then you shouldn't be caring for children at such a low rate. Tell your children that you simply need to earn more income and the only time you have to work is being occupied by the care your give your grandkids. Give each 2 weeks' notice to find other care and in the meantime start advertising to care for other kids whose parents can pay the market going rate for child care.

If you don't want to do that, tell your adult children that you need them each -- in addition to childcare payments -- to pay for your living expenses such as utilities, rent, groceriens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships