Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 03:33 AM

1,485 posts, read 955,977 times

Advertisements

What I remember most is my dad's b****ing and griping about everything. Now my MIL is the same way. Of all the nice and sweet older women in this world, I end up with a griping hag for a MIL who reminds me of my dad and his poor attitude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2014, 10:01 AM

4,191 posts, read 3,408,910 times
Yes! I'm bumping an old thread, but I made a discovery.

THIS is where Peter Tork of the Monkees sang when I lived near L. A....not the Spaghetti Factory as I had originally thought.

I was going through some old papers and found the reference.

Old 11-18-2014, 11:12 AM

1,762 posts, read 2,100,597 times
Summers at my grandmother's house with all of my cousins was the best. We caused so much mayhem in the neighborhood with the other kids in the neighborhood. My oldest cousin and I were always getting into trouble together and he always took the blame and tried to spare me for punishment. He was my hero. We are not all as close as we once were but when we start talking about those times, it is like it was only yesterday.
Time with my favorite uncle. He passed 17 year ago when I was 12 and I still miss him every day. The excitement that it was to spend time with him. I can attest my great taste in music to him and my dad.
I was listening to Janis Joplin and Pink Floyd from the time I was born. I can still hear him blasting it as loud as he could. He taught me to ride a bike and to climb a tree.
On the same note as time at my grandparents, I loved listening to my grandfather tell stories about the family history. I loved sitting next to him and having him tell me about our history.

Old 11-18-2014, 11:14 AM

28,954 posts, read 30,307,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyersmom View Post
Summers at my grandmother's house with all of my cousins was the best. We caused so much mayhem in the neighborhood with the other kids in the neighborhood. My oldest cousin and I were always getting into trouble together and he always took the blame and tried to spare me for punishment. He was my hero. We are not all as close as we once were but when we start talking about those times, it is like it was only yesterday.
Time with my favorite uncle. He passed 17 year ago when I was 12 and I still miss him every day. The excitement that it was to spend time with him. I can attest my great taste in music to him and my dad.
I was listening to Janis Joplin and Pink Floyd from the time I was born. I can still hear him blasting it as loud as he could. He taught me to ride a bike and to climb a tree.
On the same note as time at my grandparents, I loved listening to my grandfather tell stories about the family history. I loved sitting next to him and having him tell me about our history.
awww, so nice reading, and sharing your lovely memories.

Thank you
Creme

Old 11-18-2014, 11:27 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,213,227 times
Riding bikes, my sister's old Schwinn with the sparkly banana seat. No helmet, but we had those day-glo orange flags on the back, the ones on three-foot sticks so people could see you over the hedges instead of backing out over you.

Getting excited about my swing-set, which had a hanging bar in the middle. Spent a lot of time hanging upside-down by the knees.

Climbing the crabapple tree out front. More time upside-down by the knees.

Playing games like Don't Spill the Beans, Ker-Plunk, Trouble, Headache, and Don't Break the Ice under said crabapple tree. We tried to play Sorry!, Bonkers, Easy Money, Life, and Monopoly under the tree but the wind would take the cards/money.

Reading books in said tree.

Riding to the beach in my sister's rusted out banana-yellow Gremlin, listening to Jefferson Airplane on the 8-track that would switch in the middle of a song.

Old 11-18-2014, 03:01 PM

417 posts, read 1,129,580 times
So many memories, and every one of them good - even the memories of our house being so cold that the perfume I got for Christmas freezing in my bedroom, or of eating popcorn for dinner. I didn't mind it a bit because I belonged ! That's the feeling I remember most strongly, the feeling of being an important, welcome, essential part of our family. My Dad left (on good terms) when I was nine, so it was my mother and me, living with her father & my Uncle John, Mom's brother. I got virtually no discipline, but I needed none - I wanted nothing more than to hang out with my family, read my books, and tag along after Uncle John, who was like a big brother to me despite his being almost 50 years older than me. I had to hide the circumstances of how we lived from my schoolmates because if it were known we had no running water or indoor plumbing in the 1970's, our home would have been condemned, but that was no problem because I hated school anyway and had no desire to have anyone visit my home. It was all about family. They're all gone now, even the house fell down, but I cherish every memory of my childhood.

Old 11-20-2014, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by us2indaup View Post
So many memories, and every one of them good - even the memories of our house being so cold that the perfume I got for Christmas freezing in my bedroom, or of eating popcorn for dinner. I didn't mind it a bit because I belonged ! That's the feeling I remember most strongly, the feeling of being an important, welcome, essential part of our family. My Dad left (on good terms) when I was nine, so it was my mother and me, living with her father & my Uncle John, Mom's brother. I got virtually no discipline, but I needed none - I wanted nothing more than to hang out with my family, read my books, and tag along after Uncle John, who was like a big brother to me despite his being almost 50 years older than me. I had to hide the circumstances of how we lived from my schoolmates because if it were known we had no running water or indoor plumbing in the 1970's, our home would have been condemned, but that was no problem because I hated school anyway and had no desire to have anyone visit my home. It was all about family. They're all gone now, even the house fell down, but I cherish every memory of my childhood.
and you should....I watched a very powerful movie, which when reading your post, well, it reminded me of that movie.

It was about a car salesman, a very nice man, who started a dealership of used cars with a friend...
he married, and they had a child, a boy....and the wife, waited for him every night, to see if he sold a car that day, b/c it meant the difference between, eating or not.
She couldn't take it any longer, so, she went out and got a job, and fell in love with her boss, and married him. He was very rich and could afford to give her boy, what his father couldn't.

So the boy grows up, and his mother and step father want him to go to college. He doesn't want to go....so he leaves and goes to live with his father. Now, granted his father was a decent human being....but, the men he hung around with were lude and very fowl. He watches as his son, started getting cocky, and lude, and saying stuff like, "people are poop". This made his father very sad.

So, his father gets together with his partner and tells his partner, in no uncertain terms, that he wants more for his son then that....but they both loved the boy, very much....so they fire him and the father tells him, he has to go back and live with his mother and step father.

The boy goes back and the father's heart is broken, but knows he did the best thing for his son.

A few months go by and he musters the courage to call his son....the step father answers and says the boy is in college. So, the father drives to the college and waits outside for his son to come out of school. His son walks out with a few other people and this girl walks up to his son. They talk and turn to walk down the steps and off to where ever their going.

The father doesn't say a word, he just watches....and then leaves.

He gets home, and his partner is so happy to see him...b/c he had been gone for several days.

There is a letter waiting for him from his son, which says, he understands why his father fired him, and thanked him for doing so....and signed it, I love you.

Then there is a knock at the door, and it's his ex-wife....she tried to give herself to him. At first, he thinks she has left her husband and is coming back to him. He stops her....and says, "NO, I won't do to him what was done to me". She leaves....

He marries his girlfriend....

He was a fine upstanding man, not rich, but so wealthy in so many other ways.....

As wealthy as you are from such lovely memories.

Old 11-20-2014, 10:12 AM

417 posts, read 1,129,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
and you should....I watched a very powerful movie, which when reading your post, well, it reminded me of that movie.

It was about a car salesman, a very nice man, who started a dealership of used cars with a friend...
he married, and they had a child, a boy....and the wife, waited for him every night, to see if he sold a car that day, b/c it meant the difference between, eating or not.
She couldn't take it any longer, so, she went out and got a job, and fell in love with her boss, and married him. He was very rich and could afford to give her boy, what his father couldn't.

So the boy grows up, and his mother and step father want him to go to college. He doesn't want to go....so he leaves and goes to live with his father. Now, granted his father was a decent human being....but, the men he hung around with were lude and very fowl. He watches as his son, started getting cocky, and lude, and saying stuff like, "people are poop". This made his father very sad.

So, his father gets together with his partner and tells his partner, in no uncertain terms, that he wants more for his son then that....but they both loved the boy, very much....so they fire him and the father tells him, he has to go back and live with his mother and step father.

The boy goes back and the father's heart is broken, but knows he did the best thing for his son.

A few months go by and he musters the courage to call his son....the step father answers and says the boy is in college. So, the father drives to the college and waits outside for his son to come out of school. His son walks out with a few other people and this girl walks up to his son. They talk and turn to walk down the steps and off to where ever their going.

The father doesn't say a word, he just watches....and then leaves.

He gets home, and his partner is so happy to see him...b/c he had been gone for several days.

There is a letter waiting for him from his son, which says, he understands why his father fired him, and thanked him for doing so....and signed it, I love you.

Then there is a knock at the door, and it's his ex-wife....she tried to give herself to him. At first, he thinks she has left her husband and is coming back to him. He stops her....and says, "NO, I won't do to him what was done to me". She leaves....

He marries his girlfriend....

He was a fine upstanding man, not rich, but so wealthy in so many other ways.....

As wealthy as you are from such lovely memories.
Thanks for the reply. I can't see the relationship between my childhood and the movie, but then I'm not a 'movie person', they bore the crap out of me There is so much more to the story of my childhood that I could elaborate on, if I had the time and space. Like how my Dad wanted me to go to college, but my Ma didn't see any point in it, and I agreed with my Ma because I despised school. I loved to study and learn, but I hated having to socialize with other kids - I couldn't relate to them at all and never quite understood what was going on. Things like school sports or homecoming celebrations totally baffled me, and I just wrote it off as things rich kids did. Mind you, the rich kids in my school were mostly kids of big farmers or those who parents worked for the school - my hometown had a population of 775 people and my high school had roughly 400 students. I only wanted one thing from my life as long as I can remember - to marry and have a life like my Mom's. Finding a job was never even seriously considered for my future, and I never worked a day until I was in my mid 20's. My career choice was to be a housewife-period! To that end, I quit school at 16 when my Dad (who lived in California) died, and set about pursuing guys from afar. Now days it would be called stalking, but it was the only way I knew, and my Ma encouraged me and helped in any way she could be driving me past guy's houses and letting me buy trinkets to leave on the guy's vehicles anonymously. After three years it got me nowhere - I exchanged maybe a dozen words with one or two of the guys I was pursuing, if that. When I turned 18, I was old enough to write personal ads, which I did immediately, but it still availed me nothing. Is it any wonder that, when I met a 16 year old kid in night school and he showed an interest in me, I became pregnant (he couldn't legally marry at that age unless the girl was pregnant), and married him. I didn't particularly like him, he was an idiot , a thief, and a pervert, but I looked at it like one would look at taking a bad job to open the doors to a better one.

Anyway, these are the not-so-good memories of my youth. Desperation and a really, really poor decision made for the wrong reasons. At 18, my mother's social security was cut in half because I was no longer a dependant, so I had to do something. Sheer desperation.

Old 11-20-2014, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by us2indaup View Post
Thanks for the reply. I can't see the relationship between my childhood and the movie, but then I'm not a 'movie person', they bore the crap out of me There is so much more to the story of my childhood that I could elaborate on, if I had the time and space. Like how my Dad wanted me to go to college, but my Ma didn't see any point in it, and I agreed with my Ma because I despised school. I loved to study and learn, but I hated having to socialize with other kids - I couldn't relate to them at all and never quite understood what was going on. Things like school sports or homecoming celebrations totally baffled me, and I just wrote it off as things rich kids did. Mind you, the rich kids in my school were mostly kids of big farmers or those who parents worked for the school - my hometown had a population of 775 people and my high school had roughly 400 students. I only wanted one thing from my life as long as I can remember - to marry and have a life like my Mom's. Finding a job was never even seriously considered for my future, and I never worked a day until I was in my mid 20's. My career choice was to be a housewife-period! To that end, I quit school at 16 when my Dad (who lived in California) died, and set about pursuing guys from afar. Now days it would be called stalking, but it was the only way I knew, and my Ma encouraged me and helped in any way she could be driving me past guy's houses and letting me buy trinkets to leave on the guy's vehicles anonymously. After three years it got me nowhere - I exchanged maybe a dozen words with one or two of the guys I was pursuing, if that. When I turned 18, I was old enough to write personal ads, which I did immediately, but it still availed me nothing. Is it any wonder that, when I met a 16 year old kid in night school and he showed an interest in me, I became pregnant (he couldn't legally marry at that age unless the girl was pregnant), and married him. I didn't particularly like him, he was an idiot , a thief, and a pervert, but I looked at it like one would look at taking a bad job to open the doors to a better one.

Anyway, these are the not-so-good memories of my youth. Desperation and a really, really poor decision made for the wrong reasons. At 18, my mother's social security was cut in half because I was no longer a dependant, so I had to do something. Sheer desperation.
yes, maybe you did have some challenges, but it was all supposed to be for your own personal journey. You are an old soul.

and BTW, I can't spell, sometimes I can't find the words to spell them...and I really don't care, at my age...never could spell...but it's worse now.

Last edited by cremebrulee; 11-20-2014 at 12:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships