Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2014, 10:08 AM

28,926 posts, read 30,284,252 times

Advertisements

we've all had some bad times, some of course worse then others, however, we all get to chose what we remember most fondly....we can hold on to negitivity, or we can look for the goodness and the way our lives have developed in a positive way from the bad.

No one said life was easy....but it is all about how we react, and what we absorb and hold on to for dear life....

yes, I had some bad times, but there were way more good times then bad....and if it wouldn't be for the bad times, I wouldn't be in this place today....and because of those times, we are all a bit stronger, resilient, and richer for it....

I choose to remember the smell of home baked cookies after Thanksgiving, whenever I opened the door to my foster mother's home. And all the times she sat and listened to me, no matter what she was doing...she saved my life, she offered to me, without knowing, what a real family life was, she gave me sisters and a brother, and memories to last a life time and then some. She was my best friend, and she is sorely missed. She made us such a comfy home, safe and warm, and all the kids were welcome, she trusted beyond trust, and gave even beyond her capacity....the things that woman did, to make life so much more easier for all she knew were unimaginable....

When my maternal mother was sick and in the hospital, they paid her rent, and bought her groceries, anoyomously....and yet, my maternal mother was so nasty to them....

It is a wonder how truly loving, gifted and giving some people are...talk about your real life guardian angels.

I was most fortunate.

Last edited by cremebrulee; 10-13-2014 at 11:23 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2014, 12:11 PM

39,237 posts, read 27,623,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
the swimming/wading pool in the park...which was again, several blocks away.

I had to work at 13 years old, had no father, and gave every cent to my mother. Never resented those days...we had such fun. I worked in a bakery where all the neighborhood kids worked, and even though we worked, we had a great time doing so.

I wish our kids today could experience that....and also, growing up, I remember a pureness of heart, an innocence, we loved adults, our teachers, and the Police. We respected the police and adults...

Honestly, it was an awesome childhood....
I was born in Oklahoma city, but I grew up in Japan and Germany. I came back to the States when I was nine. I visited China (ShangHai) and some European countries when I was little.

I like Oklahoma city, it reminds me of Japan. People are friendly, nicer, less confrontational. After my brother joined the Marine Corps, I was exposed to the military culture. I really enjoy it and hearing these young Marines screaming Oorah has been one of my very fond childhood memory.

I grew up with grandmother overseas because my parents wanted me to learn different languages and cultures. It is not easy being a mixed child growing up in foreign countries. I have been bullied couple of times, but I quickly learned to defend myself. I am an exceptionally great swimmer, and so is my brother. I used to swim in the ocean when I was a kid.

It was a great childhood. Very colorful.

Great thread op. I really enjoyed reading all these stories.

sunshine, ocean, bbq fish, beach bodies, beautiful people, different culture and food, mixed with loneliness, identity crisis, abandonment issue, a little bit anger and rage. When I felt lost, I drew, when I felt happy, I drew. My childhood paintings are quite disturbing LOL But it is still a good childhood.

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 10-15-2014 at 12:20 PM..

Old 10-15-2014, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I was born in Oklahoma city, but I grew up in Japan and Germany. I came back to the States when I was nine. I visited China (ShangHai) and some European countries when I was little.

I like Oklahoma city, it reminds me of Japan. People are friendly, nicer, less confrontational. After my brother joined the Marine Corps, I was exposed to the military culture. I really enjoy it and hearing these young Marines screaming Oorah has been one of my very fond childhood memory.

I grew up with grandmother overseas because my parents wanted me to learn different languages and cultures. It is not easy being a mixed child growing up in foreign countries. I have been bullied couple of times, but I quickly learned to defend myself. I am an exceptionally great swimmer, and so is my brother. I used to swim in the ocean when I was a kid.

It was a great childhood. Very colorful.

Great thread op. I really enjoyed reading all these stories.

sunshine, ocean, bbq fish, beach bodies, beautiful people, different culture and food, mixed with loneliness, identity crisis, abandonment issue, a little bit anger and rage. When I felt lost, I drew, when I felt happy, I drew. My childhood paintings are quite disturbing LOL But it is still a good childhood.
I had the great opportunity to visit Oklahoma when I was younger and yes, as you say, the people there were exceptionally nice.

Thank you for sharing your story.

Old 10-15-2014, 01:22 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,058,401 times
Up until the age of 13, our family bounced between poor and working class, and with dad in and out of the home.

One thing I remember best was no matter what our status, dad (and to some extent mom) would always drive around with us to various cities and towns around us, usually within 30 or so miles. Sometimes this was done aimlessly, sometimes we had a destination in mind. None of these rides was anything like a vacation, necessarily, we certainly couldn't afford a real vacation.

Big deal, right? Why do I remember this?

I know many of my peers could never see past the small, poor city we grew up in, literally and figuratively. I firmly believe these rides with dad and mom instilled a healthy curiosity in me that has lasted a lifetime. The rides were a frequent reminder that there is an entire world out there to explore.

Old 10-15-2014, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post

I know many of my peers could never see past the small, poor city we grew up in, literally and figuratively. I firmly believe these rides with dad and mom instilled a healthy curiosity in me that has lasted a lifetime. The rides were a frequent reminder that there is an entire world out there to explore.
This makes me smile.

Old 10-15-2014, 02:11 PM

Quote:

I choose to remember the smell of home baked cookies after Thanksgiving, whenever I opened the door to my foster mother's home. And all the times she sat and listened to me, no matter what she was doing...she saved my life, she offered to me, without knowing, what a real family life was, she gave me sisters and a brother, and memories to last a life time and then some. She was my best friend, and she is sorely missed. She made us such a comfy home, safe and warm, and all the kids were welcome, she trusted beyond trust, and gave even beyond her capacity....the things that woman did, to make life so much more easier for all she knew were unimaginable....

When my maternal mother was sick and in the hospital, they paid her rent, and bought her groceries, anoyomously....and yet, my maternal mother was so nasty to them....

It is a wonder how truly loving, gifted and giving some people are...talk about your real life guardian angels.

I was most fortunate.
She sounds like an old soul and a guardian angel indeed.

I LOVE these stories.

Old 10-15-2014, 10:04 PM

I spent the past one hour reading these beautiful stories.
Want to share a TINY part of my childhood here.

This blue art organizer is a gift I got from a good childhood friend of mine. Even though now I have art supplies worth hundreds of dollars today, this is still one of my favorite organizer. it is convenient, easy to carry, easy to use. Holds all my pencils and erasers. I still think about this friend from time to time.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

This is a new set of pencil, I have been using the same shades of pencil ever since I was perhaps five or six years old. I perhaps have used over thousands of pencils making sketches. Reminds me of my first art school teacher. He's an Indian-American with heavy accent LOL

[IMG][/IMG]

These two organizers holds a very big part of my childhood. I've been a stamp collector my whole life. I have stamps from over 50 countries. These two organizers are much older than me I think they are 35 years old. My mom got these when she was in Germany. You just don't see the high quality made in Germany all leather organizer here in the United states anymore.

[IMG][/IMG]

[b]I have stamps from all over the world. I've been to several countries and loved visiting local antique stores . I love learning different cultures and languages. Some of these stamps are gifts from my brother when he was doing embassy duties in foreign countries. Some of these stamps are way older than me.

My first history lesson: American Presidents

[IMG][/IMG]

My brother gave me this stamp when he was in Denmark I think

[IMG][/IMG]

Got this one when I was in China.

[IMG]
[/IMG]

My mom and dad bought this when they were overseas (forgot which country)

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

The very first time I learned the beauty of art from these stamps.

[IMG][/IMG]

My brother gave me these when he was in Middle Easter countries. (when he was Deployed)

[IMG][/IMG]

looking at these make me realize how lucky I am. I have so many people care about me and love me. I really had a wonderful childhood.

Old 10-16-2014, 04:52 AM

LilyFlower
Thank you for putting together this lovely compilation...the stamps are incredibly beautiful....
would love to see some of the things you drew? Are you still drawing?

Hugs and many thanks

Old 10-16-2014, 09:06 AM

Quote:
LilyFlower
Thank you for putting together this lovely compilation...the stamps are incredibly beautiful....
would love to see some of the things you drew? Are you still drawing?

Hugs and many thanks
Thanks hugs back and you are welcome

I will try to find some of my old drawings and show you. I started drawing when I was 4, so I perhaps have over 30,000 sketches. I will find couple to show.

Old 10-16-2014, 09:11 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,145,620 times
I remember moving. We moved a lot during my formative years. I went to 14 different schools between first and 12th grade. It was hard leaving friends you had made. Eventually, I learned that if you don't make friends then you don't feel bad when you move away.

My dad was a tough guy to live with. When I was young, of course, I didn't realize that but as I got older (in my teens), life got increasingly more unpleasant and difficult. I don't have many good memories of him to recall.

I have a few isolated memories about living here or there, relatives that came in and out of my life, dogs that I spent time with. I've never been a person to dwell in the past and prefer to look ahead to the future. That's where all the good things are. There is nothing for me back there.

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships