Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 08:33 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,982,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Exactly. People who truly care about each other don't forget those big days.
Not so. Some of us just don't need the hoopla. If I hadn't seen this thread title, I might have forgotten our 33rd wedding anniversary is next week.

I don't forget the birthdays of my immediate family, but my husband does. I assure you, we all care very much about each other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2014, 09:09 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,776,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperboyo View Post
I've never heard of a woman forgetting an anniversary.

Mind. Blown.

That would be pretty sweet to be the guy in that instance. I'd just go on and on about it forever.
The funny thing is that we both forgot and we both remembered at the same time. This was not just one year either. It happened two years in a row! The second time he remembered before me and he was so apologetic about forgetting. I let him go on for a bit and then confessed that I forgot too. We love each other and get along great but neither one of us are big on holidays or big events. Maybe that's why? I know that many people will think that's weird but that's how we are. I guess it's good we ended up together.

Old 09-15-2014, 09:11 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,776,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
I feel younger for not counting every single birthday... so if it doesn't get "celebrated" then that's fine with me.

Years ago, when I was about 42 years old, I didn't even realize that I had left my thirties. It took a little Chinese girl asking me my age to notice that. I had to tell her that I was born in 1958 and that she should do the math.

I hate that Americans seem so obsessed with everyone's age and define a person by a number. I mean, what senior citizen wants everyone wishing them a happy 70th or 80th birthday? Just wish them well and be done with it, don't make them so old.
I love this.

Old 09-15-2014, 09:26 AM

3,339 posts, read 5,997,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
In my experience, when someone (myself included) misses a birthday or anniversary, it's usually not because they can't remember the date of the event. More likely they've lost track of the current date.
I think this is the real issue. At least it is for me. My husband and I both forgot our anniversary one year (a couple years ago). We barely remembered our anniversary earlier this year. Life is hectic... one day it is spring the next thing you know it's fall and the entire summer has passed.

Old 09-15-2014, 09:48 AM

6,568 posts, read 8,415,072 times
Quote:
This is probably a rather useless question, but I'm just sort of curious, so I figured I'd ask. I know lots of guys forget anniversaries and birthdays and that's pretty much a running joke societally. Also, lots of guys get in trouble or get into fights over that. But with the advent of smartphones with calendars and even the ability to remind you about those things, is that a thing of the past? Anyone recently (within the past maybe three years) want to fess up to either forgetting or knowing someone who forgot?
Funny you should ask.

My birthday was yesterday. And since we semi celebrated it on Friday night, my husband forgot that yesterday was actually the day until I mentioned it. The expression on his face was priceless. And no, I was not hurt nor mad, and I have an ice cream cake to look forward to for dessert tonight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I assure you, we all care very much about each other.

Old 09-15-2014, 09:58 AM

3,517 posts, read 2,675,934 times
We’ve been married fifty years; the only birthday we celebrate is the 70th because we should now set aside our childish ways and act like adults.

Old 09-15-2014, 11:02 AM

293 posts, read 310,273 times
I guess everyone is saying that there are lots of people who "forget" anniversaries and birthdays, but that's because they don't really make a big issue out of that, for various reasons. But for people who do (or if you don't care but your spouse/family member/friend does and would make a big deal about it), do any of you "forget" any more? Or is this whole issue of "he forgot my birthday!!!" for the most part just a thing of the past?

I'll admit, by the way, that the reason I started thinking of this was the recent commercial where the smartphone was like "I'll remind you the next time you call her that it's your anniversary and also point out where the nearest flower shop is." From the viewpoint of the offending party (the forgetter), that would be great. (On the other hand, they're not any more thoughtful than before, obviously, they're just covering it up.) But either way, I figure the fights in their life over forgetfulness would be over, no?

Old 09-15-2014, 11:21 AM

11,382 posts, read 9,301,117 times
Quote:
I guess everyone is saying that there are lots of people who "forget" anniversaries and birthdays, but that's because they don't really make a big issue out of that, for various reasons. But for people who do (or if you don't care but your spouse/family member/friend does and would make a big deal about it), do any of you "forget" any more? Or is this whole issue of "he forgot my birthday!!!" for the most part just a thing of the past?

I'll admit, by the way, that the reason I started thinking of this was the recent commercial where the smartphone was like "I'll remind you the next time you call her that it's your anniversary and also point out where the nearest flower shop is." From the viewpoint of the offending party (the forgetter), that would be great. (On the other hand, they're not any more thoughtful than before, obviously, they're just covering it up.) But either way, I figure the fights in their life over forgetfulness would be over, no?
No. It's still a big deal to many people but perhaps not as much as it used to be.

Old 09-15-2014, 04:13 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,335,525 times
I think it would be helpful information if those of you who do not have phones or computerized calendars or other such memory devices would mention your approximate age. When people here say proudly, "I don't own a cell phone," in the same way they might say, "I've never had a cavity in my life," I just kind of assume you're ... let's say "a senior." If you don't want people to assume that, you want want to mention it. I think the OP was wondering if people who DO own these devices approach the topic of "remembering" sentimental or honorific dates differently than people used to before they owned the technology that enables them to be tracked.

Personally, I sit in front of several calendars every day all day in my office and I know the birthdays of everyone I celebrate. The fact that I have access to other technologies hasn't helped me because I didn't need any help. As far as anyone remembering MY birthday, I have no emotion about it whatsoever. I don't really care how old I am and I don't expect anyone else to note it either. If someone does, I thank them sincerely, but if they didn't, I wouldn't care. I have to laugh at how many of my friends and family say things like, "My birthday is next week, you know. How are we going to celebrate it?" Seriously, they're adults. They have to have a fuss made every year? My mother is like that. If people forgot her birthday, it would be the end of the world as we know it. My father never forgot because she reminded him constantly. Same with their wedding anniversaries. I don't pay attention to other people's anniversaries because I think that's up to the couple to commemorate. We siblings did, however, give our parents parties on their 25th and 50th wedding anniversaries.

Old 09-15-2014, 04:24 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,982,868 times
I don't know Jukesgrrl. My mother is 88, and never ever misses a birthday, She uses a flip phone, and although she does have a laptop, she isn't on sites such as Facebook that give a heads up on birthdays. I, on the other hand, have an IPhone, and a newer laptop, and I miss them all the time.

I think times have just changed. My parents had a big party for their 25th anniversary, and took the family away on their 50th and 60th. For our 25th, my husband and I chose to spend 2 weeks on St Lucia. I think our marriage is every bit as strong as their's, but we didn't see any reason to share our celebration with anybody else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships