Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2014, 02:35 PM

8 posts, read 14,098 times

Advertisements

My sister and this girl are both 19. I am just shocked, and really just not comfortable with it. Turns out my sisters bestfriend is actually her girlfriend. But they are both girly though? Are girly lesbians common? I thought most lesbians were butch/manly? Anyways, Im disappointed in her and I think this a just a bad phase shes going through. How do I explain this to her?

Old 09-27-2014, 02:40 PM

4,290 posts, read 4,013,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beige3 View Post
My sister and this girl are both 19. I am just shocked, and really just not comfortable with it. Turns out my sisters bestfriend is actually her girlfriend. But they are both girly though? Are girly lesbians common? I thought most lesbians were butch/manly?
No need to shock be happy for your sister. If she happy that is it. I understand you will get to use to it. Yes where I live girly lesbians are common. NO does not need to be butch/manly. there are enough soft ones too congratulations with your sister.

Old 09-27-2014, 02:43 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,737,640 times
A lot of young women date other women these days. It's not a big deal. Try not to slap a label on her simply because she has found someone to love.

Old 09-27-2014, 02:48 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,962,532 times
You do not explain your disappointment. That's something for you to come to grips with, not something to burden your sister with. Whether or not it's a phase really is none of your business. If you love your sister, you will accept her choice.

Last edited by Mattie; 09-27-2014 at 03:22 PM..

Old 09-27-2014, 03:04 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,084,866 times
Just take some time about it. She's not doing anything illegal or unethical so no harm done.

If she's happy, it'll make for a happier family all around.

Old 09-27-2014, 03:09 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,203,029 times
There's nothing for you to "explain" to her. She might just be disappointed in you in that you are disappointed in her. If she is not gay, she will make that change on her own. If she is - that's who she is and you can't change it. Running your mouth on your "explaining" how wrong she is will only alienate her - maybe permanently.

Old 09-27-2014, 03:14 PM

8 posts, read 14,098 times
The reason I am disappointed is because I know it will cause family drama. I am disappointed in her because she didnt feel comfortable enough to tell me, at least. My family is close minded and dont support gay marriage. I am the only family member who knows, but our mom has made it clear she thinks being gay is a sin, and she told us if she ever had a gay child or a daughter that has a black boyfriend she will disown us. My dad always makes fun of gay people. I will support her, but I am just so sad she has to keep her secret from the rest of our family.

Old 09-27-2014, 03:20 PM

265 posts, read 405,127 times
Quote:
The reason I am disappointed is because I know it will cause family drama. I am disappointed in her because she didnt feel comfortable enough to tell me, at least. My family is close minded and dont support gay marriage. I am the only family member who knows, but our mom has made it clear she thinks being gay is a sin, and she told us if she ever had a gay child or a daughter that has a black boyfriend she will disown us. My dad always makes fun of gay people. I will support her, but I am just so sad she has to keep her secret from the rest of our family.
Sounds like your parents are the ones that need to be made fun of.

Gay people have been around since the beginning of time. It's part of life. Get used to it.

Not sure where you live or your level (and family's) of education, but don't look at this as such a bad thing.

Maybe it's time for you and your family to expand your thinking. Welcome to 2014.

Old 09-27-2014, 03:25 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,962,532 times
Quote:
Perhaps because she anticipated you would be "shocked" and "not comfortable" with her announcement?

Forget what your parents think. You have no control over that. If you feel supportive of your sister, tell her.

Old 09-27-2014, 03:40 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,631,916 times
Quote:
My sister and this girl are both 19. I am just shocked, and really just not comfortable with it. Turns out my sisters bestfriend is actually her girlfriend. But they are both girly though? Are girly lesbians common? I thought most lesbians were butch/manly? Anyways, Im disappointed in her and I think this a just a bad phase shes going through. How do I explain this to her?
Considering how little you obviously know about the subject, who are you to explain anything to her? You should be asking questions, not explaining.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.