Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2014, 05:33 PM

45,217 posts, read 101,046,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
He could do worse..... Just sayin.
Not so sure about that. In my world, money is not everything. It's not even in the top 3 of things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2014, 05:48 PM

235 posts, read 300,658 times
If you don't want to work, don't work, but I do think you should do something productive to help others, at least a few days a week. It would be a nice way to show appreciation for the enormous blessing you've been given

Old 10-16-2014, 05:53 PM

11,179 posts, read 8,060,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Not so sure about that. In my world, money is not everything. It's not even in the top 3 of things.

Yeah she sure sounds like a real loser with all her unearned, free money, and reprehensible lifestyle of excess!

Old 10-16-2014, 05:57 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,181,657 times
Your grandfather sounds like my grandfather. He was a hard worker all his life, built up a few successful businesses, and when he died he left my grandmother assets of about 5 million.

My grandpa found happiness in knowing that he was providing for his family all those years. That was his only goal, and he succeeded. Towards the end of his life, he gave one business to his son, to carry on the family business, gave some of his properties away to his other children, etc, and he kept waking up early and tending to things that really didn't need to be tended to anymore, but that was what he enjoyed doing.

Now, you say your grandpa told all of you to travel because he never had time to. Sure, I can see that. My grandpa told me the same thing, and that was why my father was his favorite son... because he was the only one of his children that wanted MORE from life and left the nest to go get it. Everyone else in the family stayed in the same town in the same state their entire lives.

I'm guessing your grandpa valued a hard day's work. And while he told you to travel, I am absolutely positive that he expected you would one day find your own way in the world, not just rely on his money. He wanted you to have an easier time in this world, but I highly doubt he meant for you to do nothing but bake pies.

No, you don't HAVE to work. Your grandpa gave you a gift... the real gift wasn't money though. What he gave you was the independence and financial security to be able to find something you like doing in this world, which most people never have. If you love what you do, then you'll never work a day in your life. THAT is what you should be trying to find. Find a way to do something with your life that makes you happy and makes your grandpa proud that his money went to a worthy heir.

Old 10-16-2014, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Yeah she sure sounds like a real loser with all her unearned, free money, and reprehensible lifestyle of excess!
Actually, in all sincerity, that is exactly what makes her sound like a loser to me.

But again, my values lie elsewhere

Old 10-16-2014, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
Your grandfather sounds like my grandfather. He was a hard worker all his life, built up a few successful businesses, and when he died he left my grandmother assets of about 5 million.

My grandpa found happiness in knowing that he was providing for his family all those years. That was his only goal, and he succeeded. Towards the end of his life, he gave one business to his son, to carry on the family business, gave some of his properties away to his other children, etc, and he kept waking up early and tending to things that really didn't need to be tended to anymore, but that was what he enjoyed doing.

Now, you say your grandpa told all of you to travel because he never had time to. Sure, I can see that. My grandpa told me the same thing, and that was why my father was his favorite son... because he was the only one of his children that wanted MORE from life and left the nest to go get it. Everyone else in the family stayed in the same town in the same state their entire lives.

I'm guessing your grandpa valued a hard day's work. And while he told you to travel, I am absolutely positive that he expected you would one day find your own way in the world, not just rely on his money. He wanted you to have an easier time in this world, but I highly doubt he meant for you to do nothing but bake pies.

No, you don't HAVE to work. Your grandpa gave you a gift... the real gift wasn't money though. What he gave you was the independence and financial security to be able to find something you like doing in this world, which most people never have. If you love what you do, then you'll never work a day in your life. THAT is what you should be trying to find. Find a way to do something with your life that makes you happy and makes your grandpa proud that his money went to a worthy heir.
Grandpa gave her a great gift for sure, not sure he did her any favors.

Hoping she takes your advice.

Old 10-16-2014, 06:05 PM

39,503 posts, read 27,881,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post

Fair and balanced. Great post!

I can relate to every single word. It makes me cry because it reminds me of my own grandpa. He is exactly like that. What wise words and wise people.

Old 10-16-2014, 06:11 PM

11,179 posts, read 8,060,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Actually, in all sincerity, that is exactly what makes her sound like a loser to me.

But again, my values lie elsewhere

Hey I am not mad at ya... Different strokes and all.

Old 10-16-2014, 06:48 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,858,125 times
So, one who doesn't have to work, and therefore doesn't, makes one a loser?

smh... some people just fail to see their own illogical thought process.

Old 10-16-2014, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Hey I am not mad at ya... Different strokes and all.
Didn't think you were and I'm not either

I just prefer deep waters to shallow streams.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships