Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 05:48 PM

17,154 posts, read 12,999,633 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
Meh, I can't blame you. The thought of a kid latching on to my boob, or of attaching a suction device to my boob to milk it, makes me dizzy with nausea. Then again, I don't have kids, never wanted them, and had a morbid fear of unwanted pregnancy that drove me to use at least one, if not two, forms of contraception or just not have sex at all.
LOL. I can totally relate, Lilac.

Old 10-16-2014, 05:49 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,845,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
What's the big deal? Not breastfeeding isn't detrimental to the baby. If she feels icky about, so what? Really, all you warmommys need to simmer down.
Actually, I'm very calm, you?

I haven't been anyone's "mommy" in a long time

I am simply concerned that this young woman understand all her options based on all the facts.

So far she seems prepared to make her decision not to do something beneficial for her baby based on her fears alone. And fear based decisions are rarely good decisions

Old 10-16-2014, 05:52 PM

10,053 posts, read 15,721,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Breastfeeding can be one of the most sublime experiences in the life of a mother.

The bond it creates with your child is too precious for words.

Any "discomfort" is very short-lived, quickly remedied and nothing compared to the overall benefits of the experience.

Unless you've done it you can't really understand it the way a mom who has done it will.

It's not mandatory and with today's formulas a baby can get the right nutrition by bottle but there are benefits (like the higher IQ points) that can't be ignored.

Just saying, Mom's should not let their fears stop them from at least learning all they can and being open to reaping the benefits of breastfeeding when at all possible.
I don't think it's "fears" that doesn't stop her from breastfeeding. She doesn't think that it's right for her. I just don't understand why that isn't coming across.

You realize that IQ is largely genetic? It's encoded in your genes.

The best thing you can do for your child is spend time with him or her. Take them to zoos, farms, the ocean. Answer their questions and teach them. Read to them every day and play music. Take them shopping with you. Teach them manners.

They won't remember how they were fed, but they will remember that their mother loved them and spent time with them.

Old 10-16-2014, 05:53 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,832,415 times
Quote:
Actually, I'm very calm, you?

I haven't been anyone's "mommy" in a long time

I am simply concerned that this young woman understand all her options based on all the facts.

So far she seems prepared to make her decision not to do something beneficial for her baby based on her fears alone. And fear based decisions are rarely good decisions
Oh, give it a rest. She's certainly not doing anything detrimental to the baby. If you were calm, you would have just accepted her personal opinion on it and actually commented on her original question... but here you are still, trying to get her to change her mind. Now... calm down.

Old 10-16-2014, 05:54 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,832,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post

You realize that IQ is largely genetic? It's encoded in your genes.
This could explain why the thread has mimicked quite the trainwreck. So totally off track.

Old 10-16-2014, 05:55 PM

Quote:
They won't remember how they were fed, but they will remember that their mother loved them and spent time with them.
You are so right about this!

But who wouldn't want a few extra IQ points?

Breastfeeding for longer 'improves child's intelligence' - Medical News Today

Old 10-16-2014, 06:02 PM

29,768 posts, read 34,491,950 times
Quote:

My SIL bottle-fed my niecephews, which was fine, but it drove my mom crazy that she rarely held the babies while they were feeding. She'd just plop them in the punkin seat, pop the bottle in their mouths, and walk off. My mom didn't want to be the kind of MIL who criticized, but she would always say (in private,) "you have to hold the baby while they're eating! Talk to them, sing to them! It's important!"

Old 10-16-2014, 06:05 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,225,560 times
Quote:
Breastfeeding can be one of the most sublime experiences in the life of a mother.

The bond it creates with your child is too precious for words.

Any "discomfort" is very short-lived, quickly remedied and nothing compared to the overall benefits of the experience.

Unless you've done it you can't really understand it the way a mom who has done it will.

It's not mandatory and with today's formulas a baby can get the right nutrition by bottle but there are benefits (like the higher IQ points) that can't be ignored.

Just saying, Mom's should not let their fears stop them from at least learning all they can and being open to reaping the benefits of breastfeeding when at all possible.
That's all right. I don't need to have a kid clamp down on my nip to know it's not necessarily pleasant. I know enough women who tried it and had miserable experiences with it to know that it's not sublime for all. Infected nips, plugged ducts, mastitis, etc. One of my sisters had the same experience as you, so I don't deny that it could be wonderful. But for a lot of women, it's anything but.

Last edited by Lilac110; 10-16-2014 at 06:15 PM.. Reason: typos, blasted tablet!

Old 10-16-2014, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
Oh, give it a rest. She's certainly not doing anything detrimental to the baby. If you were calm, you would have just accepted her personal opinion on it and actually commented on her original question... but here you are still, trying to get her to change her mind. Now... calm down.
I never said she is doing anything detrimental

I said we should all be encouraging her to make an informed choice. Something the father of her baby would also like for her to do. He has rights in this situation too. I sincerely hope they can find some common ground on the issue.

One compromise would be for her to agree to breastfeed for a short period of time, just so the baby gets the benefit of the colostrum. After a few weeks she could transition over to bottles if she still wanted to.

I can assure you I am perfectly calm

Old 10-16-2014, 06:06 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,228,919 times
Quote:
I have said upthread that I understand it is not for every mother and not possible in all situations.

In addition, I would never attempt to speak for all women We are after all, all different.

Isn't that the whole point of feminism?? To celebrate our differences and support one another in our choices?

I just wrote about MY experience and what I know about the subject based on first hand knowledge.

Our OP is young. She is scared. She does not realize that there are things she can still learn on this subject. I am optimistic she will put aside her fears and concerns long enough to make an informed choice, something every feminist here should be encouraging her to do.
In your 3rd paragraph you seem to know about everyone's discomfort...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships