Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 05:07 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,917,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
Actually, it is. People are telling a grown woman not only what to do with her boobs, but how to feed her child. That's a feminist issue. I can see the father discussing it with her--politely and without pressure--but the family needs to back off. It's none of their business how she feeds or raises her kid unless she beats the kid up or otherwise abuses the kid, and formula-feeding is not abuse. Best part is that I'd lay money that if anyone dared to criticize how they take care of their kids, there would be hell to pay. People who are that strident about parenting issues tend to be really intolerant of criticism, themselves.
There is no feminist issue here. Once she decided to have this baby the baby takes priority.

If she had only wanted to think of her own body she could have aborted the baby. (So glad she didn't!)

When parents make the baby their primary focus things work out for the best

Old 10-16-2014, 05:13 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,239,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
There is no feminist issue here. Once she decided to have this baby the baby takes priority.

If she had only wanted to think of her own body she could have aborted the baby. (So glad she didn't!)

When parents make the baby their primary focus things work out for the best
I don't agree. Once she decided to have this baby, she didn't sacrifice the right to determine what is best for herself, especially on something so minor. Of course the kid should be a priority in either/or situations, but this isn't one. This is not a life-or-death situation, or even a health-illness situation. Breastfeeding may have its advantages over formula-feeding, but not being breastfed is not a disadvantage, either. My mother didn't breastfeed any of her kids, and neither did one of my sisters. In the long run, it really made no difference. So in this case, I don't see where a woman should have to suffer discomfort or pain. Heck, labor and dealing with teenage rebellion 15 years later are pain enough for any mother!

Old 10-16-2014, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
I don't agree. Once she decided to have this baby, she didn't sacrifice the right to determine what is best for herself. Of course the kid should be a priority in either/or situations, but this isn't one. This is not a life-or-death situation, or even a health-illness situation. Breastfeeding may have its advantages over formula-feeding, but not being breastfed is not a disadvantage, either. My mother didn't breastfeed any of her kids, and neither did one of my sisters. In the long run, it really made no difference. So in this case, I don't see where a woman should have to suffer discomfort or pain. Heck, labor and dealing with teenage rebellion 15 years later are pain enough for any mother!
Breastfeeding can be one of the most sublime experiences in the life of a mother.

The bond it creates with your child is too precious for words.

Any "discomfort" is very short-lived, quickly remedied and nothing compared to the overall benefits of the experience.

Unless you've done it you can't really understand it the way a mom who has done it will.

It's not mandatory and with today's formulas a baby can get the right nutrition by bottle but there are benefits (like the higher IQ points) that can't be ignored.

Just saying, Mom's should not let their fears stop them from at least learning all they can and being open to reaping the benefits of breastfeeding when at all possible.

Old 10-16-2014, 05:27 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,260,240 times
Quote:
Breastfeeding can be one of the most sublime experiences in the life of a mother.

The bond it creates with your child is too precious for words.

Any "discomfort" is very short-lived, quickly remedied and nothing compared to the overall benefits of the experience.

Unless you've done it you can't really understand it the way a mom who has done it will.

It's not mandatory and with today's formulas a baby can get the right nutrition by bottle but there are benefits (like the higher IQ points) that can't be ignored.

Just saying, Mom's should not let their fears stop them from at least learning all they can and being open to reaping the benefits of breastfeeding when at all possible.
It doesn't work for everyone. How presumptuous of you to think you speak for all women!

Old 10-16-2014, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
It doesn't work for everyone. How presumptuous of you to think you speak for all women!
I have said upthread that I understand it is not for every mother and not possible in all situations.

In addition, I would never attempt to speak for all women We are after all, all different.

Isn't that the whole point of feminism?? To celebrate our differences and support one another in our choices?

I just wrote about MY experience and what I know about the subject based on first hand knowledge.

Our OP is young. She is scared. She does not realize that there are things she can still learn on this subject. I am optimistic she will put aside her fears and concerns long enough to make an informed choice, something every feminist here should be encouraging her to do.

Old 10-16-2014, 05:41 PM

894 posts, read 1,054,085 times
Wow, so she should have aborted her baby now? You people are seriously insane. Get a life.

Old 10-16-2014, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFigureMeOut View Post
Wow, so she should have aborted her baby now? You people are seriously insane. Get a life.
Who said that???

Way to miss my point if you are referring to my comment.

Old 10-16-2014, 05:46 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,842,264 times
Quote:
Of course! It's still a free country

One would just hope that she would make a fully informed choice, not one based on personal "icky" feelings or fears.
What's the big deal? Not breastfeeding isn't detrimental to the baby. If she feels icky about, so what? Really, all you warmommys need to simmer down.

Old 10-16-2014, 05:46 PM

235 posts, read 300,051 times
Must be nice for all these "perfect" mothers on here to pass judgment on a girl they don't even know. If she doesn't want to breastfeed, that's her choice and her business. It's not your baby, so what do you care? I'm sure all your little snowflakes are the most perfect angels ever and are so much better and smarter than the non-breastfed heathens, so go enjoy the view from your high horse and leave her alone.

Old 10-16-2014, 05:48 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,842,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Then just say that. Why bother trying to soften the blow? She doesn't care, and now, I don't either.
Well it's about time. How long before the rest follow? There's really no reason for this thread to go on as long as it has, especially with no real value to the OP in regards to her question.

Can anyone else say what it was? Without referring back the OP. Basically, this whole thread is off topic. Where's the mod to bring it back on track?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships