Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 04:13 AM

8,272 posts, read 8,655,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
I don't like thank you notes, they seem empty. Also...its kind of hard to keep on top of them when you have a little one. What I do is if I see the person often I say "thanks so much for the doll, little jane loves it" or something to that effect. I have many times sent a photo of my kids playing with the toy, usually with a thank you attached, but I kind of thought "look at her loving this toy" is sort of like a thank you.

So your the only person that ever had a kid? If that prevents you from having 2 minutes to write a thank you I hope you don't have any more. Another kid or two and you may not be able to stay on top of showering or eating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2014, 06:27 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
Quote:
I don't like thank you notes, they seem empty. Also...its kind of hard to keep on top of them when you have a little one. What I do is if I see the person often I say "thanks so much for the doll, little jane loves it" or something to that effect. I have many times sent a photo of my kids playing with the toy, usually with a thank you attached, but I kind of thought "look at her loving this toy" is sort of like a thank you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
So your the only person that ever had a kid? If that prevents you from having 2 minutes to write a thank you I hope you don't have any more. Another kid or two and you may not be able to stay on top of showering or eating.
+1. That reminds me of the age old excuse single moms sometimes use about their children/pregnancy somehow preventing them from paying back loans.

Old 11-11-2014, 06:54 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,886,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
It isn't two minutes. It's detailing who gave the kids what while the rip open the gifts like Tasmanian Devils.

Looking up everyone's physical address.

Relocating the list of who gave what and deal with lost cards and cards fallen off.

Go to the store, buy cards and stamps.

And then fill out and send 25 of them.

Yeah, no thanks. I have great manners and I always let the parents know we appriciate their coming to the party and usually let them specifically we appriciated the gift. But it's getting more complicated as the kids are inviting school friends and I don't know their parents or addresses. Kids don't open gifts at parties anymore.

I have lots of kids, btw.

Old 11-11-2014, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
+1. That reminds me of the age old excuse single moms sometimes use about their children/pregnancy somehow preventing them from paying back loans.
Lol that's a loose association if I ever heard one. Sounds like you got stiffed on a loan

Old 11-11-2014, 07:00 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,746,362 times
Quote:
It isn't two minutes. It's detailing who gave the kids what while the rip open the gifts like Tasmanian Devils.

Relocating the list of who gave what and deal with lost cards and cards fallen off.

Yeah, no thanks. I have great manners and I always let the parents know we appriciate their coming to the party and usually let them specifically we appriciated the gift. But it's getting more complicated as the kids are inviting school friends and I don't know their parents or addresses. Kids don't open gifts at parties anymore.

I have kids to and I agree that it's not two minutes. It still is however, good manners to send the thank you cards. Even a thank you email is ok with me, personally. I know not everyone will agree with that but at least it's an acknowledgment of the gift.

Old 11-11-2014, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I have kids to and I agree that it's not two minutes. It still is however, good manners to send the thank you cards. Even a thank you email is ok with me, personally. I know not everyone will agree with that but at least it's an acknowledgment of the gift.
I agree it is ideal. But, sometimes it doesn't happen and...well...it's not the end of the world. I don't expect thank your, but I usually get them. If I dont, I don't even notice.

Old 11-11-2014, 08:40 AM

4,053 posts, read 8,255,752 times
Quote:

Who cares how much time it takes? As a parent, isn't it your responsibility to teach your child good manners? As a host of a party, isn't it your responsibility to ensure your guests receive a thank you for any gifts?

Old 11-11-2014, 08:49 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times
Quote:

But you have time to send out 25 invitations?

They make fill in the blank post cards that make it very easy to write out a thank you these days.

Old 11-11-2014, 08:49 AM

6,472 posts, read 6,678,064 times
Quote:

You act like it is more time and expense for you to write a thank you note than it was time and expense for the gift giver! Granted, when my kids were little and going to lots of birthday parties, I did not put hours of effort into the gift buying. But in this thread we're talking about thank you notes in general. And, in general, here us my process for gift buying:

Spending time thinking of what the recipient would love.

Spending time researching online to learn about options, reviews, prices, etc.

Driving to physical stores to see possible gifts and select wrapping paper and card.

Spend money to purchase gift, gift wrap, and card.

Wrap the gift.

Write a well-thought-out personal note inside card (I never just sign my name)

Put gift in a shipping box and tape it up.

Look up mailing address.

Drive 30 minutes each way to the nearest post office (yep, seriously).

Spend more money to mail gift.

And yes, I actually do most of those steps for every gift I buy. My nearest family is 1000 miles away, so I put a lot of thought and time into showing them how important they are to me at birthdays, etc. Sometimes I just order online, but I still prefer to have the items sent to my house, so I can wrap them and enclose my own card, before I ship them to the recipient.

So yeah, after several hours of effort and a couple hundred bucks, a thank you of some kind doesn't seem like too much to hope for.

Old 11-11-2014, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
But you have time to send out 25 invitations?

They make fill in the blank post cards that make it very easy to write out a thank you these days.
evite
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships