Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2014, 03:16 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,827,529 times

Advertisements

How long ago was the affair? You stated you got divorced from your wife 2 years ago but when was the affair? I am asking because I am wondering what made you now after a few years decide you want a relationship with your sons? Why did you not say sorry for your actions immediately?

When are you meeting your one son for coffee? I hope it goes well. Maybe you can send your other son a card just stating you are sorry and when he is ready you would love to meet.

Lastly besides working a lot and the affair how was your relationship with your son's? I feel like there is more to this story and possibly other issues that lead up to this. Then the affair was the last straw.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2014, 08:35 AM

2,638 posts, read 6,020,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Drifter View Post
I don't want to force them to do anything, I would just like them to give me a second chance...at least as a friend.
You should watch the movie "The Wrestler" with Mickey Rourke, or at least, the second half of it where he reaches out to his estranged daughter. First half might make you a bit nauseous and the deli scene might make you cringe, but the scenes with his daughter I think would be enlightening for you.

Old 12-12-2014, 08:50 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,623,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Drifter View Post
I don't want to force them to do anything, I would just like them to give me a second chance...at least as a friend.
You didn't give them the time of day when they were growing up so why do they owe you anything now? Guilt? That's on you. Cheating on their mom was probably like the icing on the cake. They don't have to give you anything let alone a second chance and you can't force them to. Did it occur to you that they have all the friends that they need? They needed a father once and didn't get one so what would they need you as a friend for? To abandon them all over again? They're in their 30's!!! You've had DECADES to wake up and be a father.

Old 12-15-2014, 07:19 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,374,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
You didn't give them the time of day when they were growing up so why do they owe you anything now? Guilt? That's on you. Cheating on their mom was probably like the icing on the cake. They don't have to give you anything let alone a second chance and you can't force them to. Did it occur to you that they have all the friends that they need? They needed a father once and didn't get one so what would they need you as a friend for? To abandon them all over again? They're in their 30's!!! You've had DECADES to wake up and be a father.
I pretty much agree with this. Your initial post just reeks of a guy who never really had a lot of regard for others and now that he's old, he's regretting that because he doesn't have a lot of close relationships.

My father is a narcissist. He's kind of an awful person in many ways, including cheating on my mother and screwing her over in the divorce. But he was a great dad. I'm almost 40 and he's in his 80s, but I've never doubted for a moment that he had my back or that he loved me as much as it was possible for him to love another human being. Even though I have spent my life making moral decisions based on what he WOULDN'T do, we are very close. He knows I have a room in my house for him should he ever need taking care of.

I had an ex who was a former biker. Toughest guy you'd ever want to meet. His father had abandoned him when he was a toddler. I remember I was fighting with my dad over one of the not-nice things he had done to someone else, and my ex just said "you need to let it go." I asked why I should let it go when Pop was being a jerk, and my ex said with a reverence I had never heard from him "Because he's your dad and he was there."

"Being there" is the most basic thing a kid needs from a parent. And I'm sorry, but I'm older than your sons, and my father is an elderly conservative Republican who is pretty darn old school, and grew up during the Depression and World War 2. Your statement about the "social expectations" of the time doesn't really hold water.

The only way you're going to have a halfway decent relationship with your children is to apologize to them without any expectations of forgiveness or a relationship. And then let them make their decision from there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships