Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 08:56 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,829,224 times

Advertisements

If you have student loans you could say "when I pay off my student loans." Or you could just say it to see what kind of reaction you get. Or you could say something like "when I get off my crazy pills".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2014, 09:13 AM

4,577 posts, read 5,665,859 times
My grandmother was anxious to be a great-grandmother, and kept inquiring. Finally, my husband said, "Well, we keep practicing, but we haven't gotten the knack of it, yet . . . oops, wait, we need some more practice. Excuse us!" He grabbed my arm and steered me into a nearby bedroom, and we bounced on the old, noisy bed a few times. The silence on the other side of the door was deafening . . .

And that was the end of the questions!

Old 12-18-2014, 09:30 AM

92 posts, read 167,370 times
Thank you everyone for this great advice, and the very kind words of support. I appreciate you taking the time to respond.

I will let you know how it goes when we go to our next family function!

Old 12-18-2014, 10:02 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonZinger321 View Post
Thank you everyone for this great advice,
and the very kind words of support. I appreciate you taking the time to respond.

I will let you know how it goes when we go to our next family function!
I guess we know which ones you're not going to use bec we didn't get a rep.

Old 12-18-2014, 10:10 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
If you have student loans you could say "when I pay off my student loans." Or you could just say it to see what kind of reaction you get. Or you could say something like "when I get off my crazy pills".
I like that one But sometimes my mouth gets in the way of my better judgment and I would say something like, "None of your business." It's probably better to go with something like, "When we decide we're ready." (in other words, not you). I have lived in another country, and I have learned that Americans are pressured to have children much more than in many other countries. That makes it much harder on you emotionally when you want a baby and are having difficulty conceiving. Best wishes to you.

Old 12-18-2014, 10:56 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,829,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I like that one But sometimes my mouth gets in the way of my better judgment and I would say something like, "None of your business." It's probably better to go with something like, "When we decide we're ready." (in other words, not you). I have lived in another country, and I have learned that Americans are pressured to have children much more than in many other countries. That makes it much harder on you emotionally when you want a baby and are having difficulty conceiving. Best wishes to you.
Oh no, no best wishes to me, I don't want kids! But thanks for the thought!

Old 12-18-2014, 11:21 AM

191 posts, read 485,842 times
My husband and I have been married for almost four years and we get that question at almost all family gatherings. It is really annoying even though we are not TTC. We usually make a joke of it saying something like "When they become free" or something like that.

Old 12-18-2014, 11:59 AM

734 posts, read 1,082,189 times
Them: When are you going to have a baby?

Me: When are you going to learn to mind your own business?

LOL. I am done being nice.

Old 12-18-2014, 12:31 PM

1,906 posts, read 2,038,831 times
First, 18 months of trying is no big deal. Your blowing it out of proportion. Plenty of people try for years. Even if one of you does have a problem its most likely something trivial. So I would just relax a little. ...lower that bar you have set up on the top of mt everest and adjust your expectations a little. I am sure everything will be fine.

I would have several responses ready for different people and different situations. Some people might be asking out of concern, some to just be nosy, some just to poke at you and etc. You probably already know which based on the way they ask and how they ask. If they are asking you in a crowded room instead one on one them its for sure not out of concern.

Snarky responses

"Gee I guess when its your business to know I will give you a call"

"Hey...Tell me about it....He's been putting baby batter in my oven nearly every night, doughs not rising yet but hey...we sure are having fun baking" (wink real big)

"Well we did it last night and then I stood on my head for 30 mins to make sure none of it ran out...so we should know in a month or so.....I'll make sure your the first one I call."

(I actually heard this used by a SIL a few years ago to a nosy aunt. Everyone busted out laughing and the aunt turned beat red. But my family might be a little more rough around the edges than yours so it might not be appropriate.)

I liked the idea posted earlier about sitting in on a session....lol great response.

Only if the person is really rude or purposefully trying to embarrass you would I recommend turning the question on its head by asking them a direct question about some skeleton in their closet.

Polite response

"Well....we are still thinking about it but we dont mind having fun with each other in the mean time"

"Gee that more of a personal decision that we are still talking about."

Or you could pass the question off to your husband if your not comfortable......

"Hmmm....you know I am just not real sure....Honey what do you think?"

Old 12-18-2014, 01:21 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,301,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bored chick View Post
Them: When are you going to have a baby?

Me: When are you going to learn to mind your own business?

LOL. I am done being nice.
this is the only answer you need!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships