Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2014, 04:28 AM

832 posts, read 1,419,353 times

Advertisements

Three types bother me the most and they most all include military or scare stories that make no sense.

1. Boycott (insert company) because they refuse to (insert activity) for our military/veterans. [And all similar ones.]

2. Beware of (insert random activity) at (insert random business).

3. (Insert random title)'s open letter to (insert random business).

There are some about Starbucks and Target that keep floating around year after year. The companies change but it's always the same issues.

Boycott this business because they refused to serve a military member in uniform, deny service to them etc. Look out for the HIV infected needles placed into gas pumps. And then there's a number of fake four star generals or whomever writing open letters to some corporation telling them off. I have one sibling that posts these types of things. She's gotten better over the last couple years. But I wouldn't expect her to stop posting them. Not because she's a moron, but because she's a moron who chooses to perpetuate idiotic ideology all while protesting that she doesn't believe in it and claims you "misunderstood" her.

In the end, the abortion issues, gun control, GMO hounds and conspiracy theorist who focus on violence or world domination, you can never get the upper hand in a discussion. They always end the chat with "That's just what they want you to believe." And you can't do anything with that statement. You can replace "they" with "the bible" or any other noun and the result is the same.

Sometimes these things can lead to a good discussion, but most often they only lead to armchair arguments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2014, 06:27 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,064,561 times
I also get sick of posts ridiculing religious beliefs. I have friends who embrace all sorts of beliefs and ideologies. I realize that not all people do this, but when I post on FB, I make it a point to try NOT to offend my friends. And to clarify, my FB friends really ARE my friends - they're not a random collection of people I barely know - so I care about their feelings.

I don't see any point in posting things that ridicule the religious beliefs of others. I don't, for that matter, see much point in posting a bunch of political stuff, though I will on occasion post a news story with a few comments (very occasionally). I don't use FB as a platform to push any sort of agenda - I prefer to keep it light and so I generally share photos, funny videos, silly memes, recipes, that sort of thing.

I've unfriended people of all political stripes and religious or atheist perspectives, including my own cousin, because they insisted on using FB as a debate forum. I don't usually argue with anyone on any posts they post, and I don't like it when they decide to call me out or argue or whatever on my posts, which as I stated are nearly always "light and fluffy."

Old 12-19-2014, 08:44 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,919,172 times
A now-deceased relative would sent me these tales several times a week (this was prior to Facebook). I tried to patiently refer her to Snopes, to which she responded reasonably well - but she never seemed to check the scary claims before passing them along to everyone on her email list.

But - she was terminally ill with cancer, and I think it was easier to deal with online "scary" claims than it was to confront her own illness.

I miss her...

Old 12-19-2014, 02:31 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,710,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
Nope, it's true. The conspiracy theory involves the New World order - and it does tie in with aliens. Check Wikipedia. The child trafficking tie-in is on some of the looney sites.
Not only that, but every US president since George Washington has been a member of the conspiracy. They even put a secret code on the obverse of the Great Seal of the United States (Novus Ordo Seclorum = New World Order in Latin). It's amazing that this has remained a secret for so long, but yes, both Bush presidents were in on it.

Old 12-19-2014, 04:59 PM

88,673 posts, read 84,974,162 times
These people are so retarded--yes, it's not a nice word, but it's the only one that fits--that they think the new name of the tallest of the four new towers being built at the World Trade Center is evidence of the New World Order.

It's called One World Trade Center. You know, same exact name as the old north tower.

I fail to see the insidious meaning in the others: Two World Trade Center, Three World Trade Center, Four World Trade Center. That "One" really seems to bother them, though.

Old 12-19-2014, 06:34 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,566,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
I love it when they pick up a post from a satire site and think it's real.
One of my family members did this yesterday.

I just posted a comment something like ~ 'what funny satire, thanks for sharing'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Twice I've seen an image of a purported weeks-old fetus in the palm of a hand as part of anti-abortion propaganda. The "fetus" looks like a pretty well-formed miniature baby. A minute of Google searching showed that it's a resin sculpture someone made and looks nothing like a fetus at that age.

I just let it go, because the last thing I want to do is get in a FB discussion of reproductive rights.
I've seen that too and I said nothing. One, it was posted by one of my very religious family members and she's always telling me that she knows she's not really smart. She is a very kind person and I was NOT going to call her out on facebook.

Although I have to wonder - how can people really believe that is a fetus? It's a fully, formed, miniature baby - just like you said.

Old 12-19-2014, 07:52 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,211,340 times
I am not a super FB user. I really only started with it a few months ago. I hate the urban myths passed off as cautions, or causes for outrage. Once I did a quick search and posted the correct info after receiving an odd and false warning about taxes. Why people post stuff unsubstantiated stuff, I do not know.

Old 12-19-2014, 08:33 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,064,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I am not a super FB user. I really only started with it a few months ago. I hate the urban myths passed off as cautions, or causes for outrage. Once I did a quick search and posted the correct info after receiving an odd and false warning about taxes. Why people post stuff unsubstantiated stuff, I do not know.
One of my favorites is the supposed "verse in the Koran" about killing the eagle or something like that. They always give the chapter and verse. The thing is - there's nothing in that chapter or verse about an eagle or anything that could possibly be the US.

Old 12-20-2014, 02:57 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,216,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
I love it when they pick up a post from a satire site and think it's real.
"But The Onion said..."

Old 12-20-2014, 03:16 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,335,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
We all have 'em, those friends and family members that we love dearly, but sometimes they post the most ridiculously untrue, moronic myths and warnings on Facebook. You know, the kind of posts that show such complete ignorance of the topic at hand that you feel embarrassed for the person. Here's my contribution:

I absolutely HATE it when I read the often-repeated post about margarine being only one molecule away from plastic. Aaaarrgghhh! Did you never take even one chemistry class in high school? If not, then you should probably avoid talking about molecules. :roll eyes:

What ones drive you bonkers? And do you bother posting your perspective on the matter?
I eliminated these kinds of posts by unfriending all the moronic anti-Obama conservatives I'd unwittingly connected with on Facebook. Quite literally, 99.9% of the shrill apocalyptic garbage on my news feed came from this small group of people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships