Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 03:10 PM

2,827 posts, read 4,348,089 times

Advertisements

Self-centered people are those that, most of the time, are thinking about their own needs and wants primarily and have very little interest in the needs and wants of others. When you get in a conversation with them, most of the discussion will wind up centering around them. If you bring up something that concerns you, it will seem like they have a knack for quickly dismissing it as though it is minimally important or you are worrying needlessly. As long as they can change the subject as quickly as possible. Sometimes, when you are trying to explain something to them that concerns you, you can see that they start becoming bored with the conversation and want to end it and go on to something else. But when it comes to their issues, they get very animated and will keep on talking and talking and tell you every little aspect of what's been going on with them as though it is the most important thing in the world. Sometimes they get so wound up that it difficult to get a word in edge-wise. Their attention span is good as long as it's focused on them.

Of the people you encounter on a daily basis and spend time talking with, would you say most appear to be self-centered or it's just a small percentage?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2015, 03:14 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,172,360 times
Quote:
Of the people you encounter on a daily basis and spend time talking with, would you say most appear to be self-centered or it's just a small percentage?
This is a ridiculous question.

Everyone is self-centered to a certain extent. It is rooted in basic biology- we must fight to stay alive.

I don't know how self-centered random people are based on random conversations here and there. People don't always make their motives apparent.

Old 03-23-2015, 03:22 PM

2,827 posts, read 4,348,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brocco View Post
This is a ridiculous question.

Everyone is self-centered to a certain extent. It is rooted in basic biology- we must fight to stay alive.

I don't know how self-centered random people are based on random conversations here and there. People don't always make their motives apparent.
I am not talking about biological needs or survival instincts. This is about social situations and how people we talk to, at some length, come across to us..... either in a give and take manner or in a self-absorbed way. It's more about the psychology involved than anything else.

Old 03-23-2015, 04:06 PM

3,166 posts, read 3,369,253 times
Everyone is self-centered in their own way. The ones that gets on my nerves are the ones that want you to hear whatever is going on in their life then don't really seem too concern what's going on in yours. Or that make any issue you may have about them.

Old 03-24-2015, 08:48 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,172,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
I am not talking about biological needs or survival instincts. This is about social situations and how people we talk to, at some length, come across to us..... either in a give and take manner or in a self-absorbed way. It's more about the psychology involved than anything else.
Do you want to vent? We can do that, too.

Old 03-24-2015, 08:54 AM

5,406 posts, read 3,618,206 times
I am what you call self centered, I have no interest in others, in their wants and needs, I find other people boring to the extreme, give me animals any day.

Old 03-24-2015, 08:55 AM

7,992 posts, read 5,404,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post

On a daily basis, I would have to say none.

Old 03-25-2015, 07:55 AM

28 posts, read 29,657 times
Everyone is self-centered. If someone won't stop talking about themselves in a conversation, then they simply aren't good at communicating.

Old 03-25-2015, 08:20 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,239,068 times
Met a few in my life. If it's always about them and their yapping -it's bye bye.

Old 03-25-2015, 01:29 PM

1,376 posts, read 2,171,809 times
Yes, many people do seem to be rather up themselves. I've noticed this, having moved frequently and being on the shy side, I make a point of trying to converse with some smalltalk and be friendly towards neighbours. I notice that they just want to talk about themselves. After 7 years, the neighbor on my left has never asked me one question. Not one. Not about where we moved from, how we like this town, if we have kids, what we do, what we like. Our conversations were so incredibly one-sided that he has become a tiresome bore. It's all, "we went on vacation, we did this, we did that, I built a shed, I painted my basement, I, we, we, we." I find it very pompous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships