Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Your Doctor The Same Gender As You?
YES: I am a Male with a Male doctor. 7 18.42%
YES: I am a Female with a Female doctor. 20 52.63%
NO: I am a Male with a Female doctor. 3 7.89%
NO: I am a Female with a Male doctor. 8 21.05%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 12:54 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,221,090 times

Advertisements

As an adult, I almost always have female PCPs. Had the first one for 17 years, and she's only a couple of years older than I am. Then had a male for a couple of years, then a female these last 6 or 7. I prefer her LPN to her. OB/GYN, always males.

I don't notice gender differences as much as regional ones. Loved my doctors in D.C. Long Island, not so much, especially OB/GYN. Kind of paternalistic and defensive. I had fairly severe endometriosis and needed surgery, and I went to enough of them for second and third opinions that I'm convinced it's just how they practice medicine here, so I don't take it personally. But I'm either a physician's best friend or royal pain in the arse, because I'm a health and medical writer. If your MD means "Most Divine," you'll hate being questioned and you'll find me annoying. But if you recognize my name or have read my stuff, you'll love me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2015, 11:30 AM

10,855 posts, read 6,382,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitakolata View Post
I have had both male and female doctors. I'm female. For PCP I don't really care that much about the sex of my doctor. I have a female doctor now and she's great. For OB/GYN I have never been comfortable with a male doctor.
^This.
My gyno. is female, I couldn't tolerate a male in that role (I need someone who shares understanding of this stuff from the inside out).

My current PCP is male, because my previous (female) doc. left the practice-and this was the new guy the office hired.
For me, it's more about personality/interpersonal style or manner-if I can deal with the person/our interaction, then we're good, and the gender is of secondary importance.
In past, there have been female drs. I couldn't work with, same goes for male ones, too-it's an individual thing, rather than based solely on gender.

Old 03-25-2015, 12:07 PM

917 posts, read 1,386,680 times
My PCP was a female. I remember the last time I saw her she was pregnant. When I went for a another check up a few months later, she wasnt there anymore. She decided to stop practicing medicine to be a mother. Too bad, I really liked her.

After a bad break up I had a few years ago, I was seeing a psychiatrist who was male. I didnt feel comfortable with him and it just didnt "click". I stopped going.

My gyno is a male and I tend to me more comfortable with males than females. Maybe it's a bit TMI but Ive noticed males arent as rough as females are. I guess females think, eh I can handle it, so can she! lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships