Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 01:02 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,537,867 times

Advertisements

You live with your husband. Keep the peace at home. Tell the GF, sorry, we can't accommodate you and the BF. Your hubby is recognizing the red flags about the complaining about the BF. You're overlooking them, in feeling responsible to be generous because she's your best friend.

Trust your hubby on this one. If you don't it will be 8 days of hell watching this couple argue and dirty your guest quarters, and then who-knows-how-long of dealing with your hubby telling you he told you so, LOL. No is an optional answer. As in, "Can I bring my BF who I constantly complain about for 8 days?" "Um, honey, no, sorry."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2015, 05:34 AM

210 posts, read 382,853 times
Thanks all for your replies. I did tell her we are not comfortable with the situation and she said she understood. She will stay with a relative....

I think people who frequently have guests (like her) probably don't think twice about having additional guests. We don't host people overnight typically, so it's tougher for us to have a person we have never met!

Yes, I am relieved and my hubby is happy.

Old 04-07-2015, 06:29 AM

30,655 posts, read 18,269,220 times
Glad things seem to have worked out for you!

Old 04-07-2015, 06:36 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,408,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinyday View Post
Thanks all for your replies. I did tell her we are not comfortable with the situation and she said she understood. She will stay with a relative....

I think people who frequently have guests (like her) probably don't think twice about having additional guests. We don't host people overnight typically, so it's tougher for us to have a person we have never met!

Yes, I am relieved and my hubby is happy.
Yay! I'm so happy for you. Whew.

Old 04-07-2015, 07:15 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,063,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCpl2 View Post
I would tell her she is more than welcome as you had said earlier.. But if she is bringing anyone then both of them might want to stay at a hotel...
Good response; however, I would change "might" to "it will be best for the two of you to stay..."

By saying "might", it remains an open invitation for both of them, and leaves the decision up to the guest.

Old 04-07-2015, 07:21 AM

465 posts, read 614,423 times
Wow. That was presumptuous of her. Do you have kids? I would not allow any man I never met to stay in my house with my kids. That would be my first excuse. If you don't then you have to gently tell her that you are excited to see her but you and your husband have not met her boyfriend and it would be more comfortable for all if she stayed in a hotel or with family. 8 Days is REALLY long. That would make me have anxiety. I could not have a stranger in my house for that long. She really should have asked.

Old 04-07-2015, 07:42 AM

590 posts, read 715,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCpl2 View Post
I would tell her she is more than welcome as you had said earlier.. But if she is bringing anyone then both of them might want to stay at a hotel...
I agree with this. You'd be surprised how complacent a couple can become under your roof and start their BS....tell her no boyfriend or find somewhere else to stay, why sacrifice your sanity and comfort for her comfort package which is her bf?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Yep.
+2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennies4Penny View Post
Eight days is a long time. If it were just a weekend, I would say deal with it, but this is extended. I'd say it's okay to tell her no.
Yep

Old 04-07-2015, 07:59 AM

2,365 posts, read 2,842,230 times
Be honest with her & tell her since you haven't met her boyfriend yet, your family is not comfortable extending an invite to him as well. You would love to have both of them over for dinner sometime while she is in town. If she is reasonable then she will respect your privacy. If she complains about it then she is being immature & pushy.

Old 04-07-2015, 09:52 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,235,015 times
I guess I'm the only one who thinks it is a little odd. I mean, if you were going to visit your friend, how would you feel if she told you that your husband wasn't welcome? I might have said "Oh, I didn't realize Joe was coming with you. It's a small house so it will be a bit crowded but we'll figure it out." Then she could make other arrangements if she wanted, realizing everyone might be more comfortable that way. But if I were traveling out of town, and someone invited me to visit, I would assume the invitation included my significant other.

Old 04-07-2015, 11:55 AM

658 posts, read 725,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I guess I'm the only one who thinks it is a little odd. I mean, if you were going to visit your friend, how would you feel if she told you that your husband wasn't welcome? I might have said "Oh, I didn't realize Joe was coming with you. It's a small house so it will be a bit crowded but we'll figure it out." Then she could make other arrangements if she wanted, realizing everyone might be more comfortable that way. But if I were traveling out of town, and someone invited me to visit, I would assume the invitation included my significant other.
This is to prevent unnecessary quarrels and misunderstandings that could jeopardize friendships. Granted, had the OP's family know the b/f then it is a little odd but this case it is the opposite. Plus all they heard of the b/f was arguments and bad hindsight about the guy. I would do the same as OP in a heartbeat. Perhaps invite him to a dinner or hang out to introduce is a good idea but NOT for an extended stay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships